380FL Rear Black tank vapor lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 380FL Rear Black tank vapor lock?

Been having an issue with my new Solitude 380FL-R rear black tank. Been living in it full time for 3 weeks now. Rear tiolet "burps" every time it is flushed - no matter what the load is. It's also plugged 3 times to the point I've had to plunger it to free things up. Sensors indicate it is no where near full. Able to verify this when draining the rear black tank after that first plunging. Anybody have a similar experience? At times it seems like a vapor lock or vent issue. Other times it seems like there's a tight bend in the plumbing. Any insight would be appreciated!
    Brian & Cindy Rhoda
    2023 Solitude 380FL-R
    2018 Silverado 3500 HD High Country

Brian Rhoda -- I did a search on this forum for related vent issues. Closest was https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...identification but the resolution to that issue was the OP not using enough water. (It's a long, interesting thread but I don't think it's applicable to your issue.)

What I did get from the thread is that there's several possible vent configurations. That was discussed at length by Country Campers, Cate&Rob and TucsonJim .

Is it possible (and safe!) for you to take a picture of your Solitude's roof and post it here? What we'd be looking for is the small black covers for the vents (how many and where they are).

Changing search criteria I searched using "burp site:gdrvowners.com" and found https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-when-flushed That thread has several theories. To quote TucsonJim

2. The vent pipe is too low in the tank. This was a frequent complaint in the 2015-2016 time frame. The pipe was placed into the tank with a rubber grommet holding it in place via friction. But if the pipe was not carefully positioned or it slipped down, it could no longer vent once the liquid covered the opening of the pipe.

Give that thread a read. No doubt others will be along shortly with more info/advise.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

If I recall there is sharp bends in the plumbing pipe from the toilet to the tank, I think you may be able to see this from the under storage area. Using plenty of water is key.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian Rhoda, curious on whether you're using a washer/dryer, and if there are any problems with the washer draining? My reason for asking is that the black water tank in the back may also be used for grey water.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          Brian Rhoda -- I did a search on this forum for related vent issues. Closest was https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...identification but the resolution to that issue was the OP not using enough water. (It's a long, interesting thread but I don't think it's applicable to your issue.)

What I did get from the thread is that there's several possible vent configurations. That was discussed at length by Country Campers, Cate&Rob and TucsonJim .

Is it possible (and safe!) for you to take a picture of your Solitude's roof and post it here? What we'd be looking for is the small black covers for the vents (how many and where they are).

Changing search criteria I searched using "burp site:gdrvowners.com" and found https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-when-flushed That thread has several theories. To quote TucsonJim

2. The vent pipe is too low in the tank. This was a frequent complaint in the 2015-2016 time frame. The pipe was placed into the tank with a rubber grommet holding it in place via friction. But if the pipe was not carefully positioned or it slipped down, it could no longer vent once the liquid covered the opening of the pipe.

Give that thread a read. No doubt others will be along shortly with more info/advise.

Howard
          I know from a recent visit to the roof that there are 4 separate vents on the roof. I have forward & rear gray tanks as well as forward & rear black tanks. To answer John, no we have no washer/dryer. I can confirk that there is at least a 90 bend in the toilet drain. Found that out when I tried to poke through a clogged drain. Toilet plunger fixed the clog (s) but I still get the burping toilet even when flushing nothing but water.

Howard - thanks for those links, I will read through those threads. Also like the idea of maybe a too long vent pipe entering the tank, but I get burps even on an empty tank. Could just be a plugged vent. I'll have to get up on the roof with a flashlight and check it out.

Thanks for all the ideas folks. I'll hopefully report back with good results!
          Brian & Cindy Rhoda
          2023 Solitude 380FL-R

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Rhoda View Post
            Been having an issue with my new Solitude 380FL-R rear black tank. Been living in it full time for 3 weeks now.
            Just my 02 after all the threads I have read.

I suspect you have a pyramid inside the tank that is now blocking the inlet pipe. Do you have a flexible spray wand that you can insert through the toilet? Also did you pre-charge the tank with say 10 gallons of water before use? If not this can lead to the pyramid forming.

Something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006IX7YC...ana_33-20&th=1 or this https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Black-Ta...a/VAL28VJ.html

Hope this helps

Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

A waterproof endoscope camera in the $40 range from Amazon is invaluable in diagnosing things like this.
              John & Kathy
              2014 Reflection 303RLS
              2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
                A waterproof endoscope camera in the $40 range from Amazon is invaluable in diagnosing things like this.
                Yep another tool I need
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Yep another tool I need
                  Just order it! I use mine a lot. Mine will slip through the adjuster holes on the brake backing plates and let me see the shoes without even taking the wheels off. I’ve seen the inside of all of my tanks, including the water heater. Used it at my neighbors to find and snag a dropped thermostat wire inside the wall. It can be a huge labor saver.
                  John & Kathy
                  2014 Reflection 303RLS
                  2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post

Just order it! I use mine a lot. Mine will slip through the adjuster holes on the brake backing plates and let me see the shoes without even taking the wheels off. I’ve seen the inside of all of my tanks, including the water heater. Used it at my neighbors to find and snag a dropped thermostat wire inside the wall. It can be a huge labor saver.
                    John
                    Any chance of a link to what you have or what is good

And so you know you have joined the ranks of the greats like Howard, Rob, Joseph, Scott, Brian, and others for helping me go broke

Keith

Comment

John
                      Any chance of a link to what you have or what is good

And so you know you have joined the ranks of the greats like Howard, Rob, Joseph, Scott, Brian, and others for helping me go broke

Keith
                      I’m deeply honored! Though I’m sure it’s just repaying you for helping me spend money.

This is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                      John & Kathy
                      2014 Reflection 303RLS
                      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I had a previous trailer with a similar issue. It ended up being a clearance problem between the vent pipe and the cap on the roof. The pipe was left too long and when the cap was placed on it there was only a narrow gap between them. This created an insufficient air flow. I cut about an inch off the the pipe and reinstalled the cap. It improved the flow.
                        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Jkwilson Thanks John. I just ordered one. Been considering it and after watching the tank cleaning video, I'm a bit curious as to the inside condition of the tanks.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            Jkwilson Thanks John. I just ordered one. Been considering it and after watching the tank cleaning video, I'm a bit curious as to the inside condition of the tanks.
                            Joseph
                            Please post back on how well it works.
                            Last edited by TucsonJim; 01-18-2023, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Just my 02 after all the threads I have read.

I suspect you have a pyramid inside the tank that is now blocking the inlet pipe. Do you have a flexible spray wand that you can insert through the toilet? Also did you pre-charge the tank with say 10 gallons of water before use? If not this can lead to the pyramid forming.

Something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006IX7YC...ana_33-20&th=1 or this https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Black-Ta...a/VAL28VJ.html

Hope this helps

Keith
                              Keith,

Appreciate the input, BUT. Bought the rig new 12/20/22, had it for less than a week when I noticed the issue. No way on earth we got a poop pyramid that quick (there's only two of us). That is also a 50 gallon tank and I always have 5 - 10 gallons of water in it before we use it. That helps disperse the incoming loads & discourage any baby pyramids. Also do a 30 - 40 gallon flush every time I dump tanks. Takes time, but I am NOT getting a pyramid!
                              Brian & Cindy Rhoda
                              2023 Solitude 380FL-R

Comment

Working...
                              X