380FL Rear Black tank vapor lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
    I had a previous trailer with a similar issue. It ended up being a clearance problem between the vent pipe and the cap on the roof. The pipe was left too long and when the cap was placed on it there was only a narrow gap between them. This created an insufficient air flow. I cut about an inch off the the pipe and reinstalled the cap. It improved the flow.
    Truckster,

I did check one vent cap earlier, but may have checked the wrong tank. Will have to use a sniff test to check it out this time!
    Brian & Cindy Rhoda
    2023 Solitude 380FL-R
    2018 Silverado 3500 HD High Country

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Rhoda View Post

Keith,

Appreciate the input, BUT. Bought the rig new 12/20/22, had it for less than a week when I noticed the issue. No way on earth we got a poop pyramid that quick (there's only two of us). That is also a 50 gallon tank and I always have 5 - 10 gallons of water in it before we use it. That helps disperse the incoming loads & discourage any baby pyramids. Also do a 30 - 40 gallon flush every time I dump tanks. Takes time, but I am NOT getting a pyramid!
      The camera will help diagnose regardless of the reason. Mine has an 11’ probe, so I could go in the vent and down to the tank if needed.

I know it may seem silly spending money figuring out a warranty problem, but you don’t want a dealer bumbling around trying to find it.

If the tank burps when empty, have you tried flushing with the dump valve open? If you have an appropriate place to do it, I’d unhook the sewer hose after flushing the tank, and try flushing the toilet with the valve open. Accomplishes two things: It will vent an empty tank, so if the vent is your issue, it should go away when the valve is open and then return when you close the valve. It will also 100% confirm the tank is draining.

John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

You may be able to use a tape measure to measure all the way to the bottom and also to the bottom of the vent tube by hooking the end of it.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Figured this thing out about 10 days ago, since my little tweak the venting has been fine. Up on the roof there are 4 separate vents - 1 for each tank (2 gray, 2 black). The vent caps are a 2 piece deal. One is a flange mounted to the roof that sorta holds the vent from the tank. No cement, it's just confined inside the ring. There is a separate cap that sits on 8 little fingers and is secured with a screw. I took off the cap on the offending tank and peered down into the abyss. Had a real good LED lamp and with that I could actually see the surface of the tank contents. This verified that the vent was clear. When I put the cap back on, I didn't sock it down tight, just made sure it wasn't going to fly off on our next travel day. Went back inside and did a few test flushes - no burps! Been flushing fine ever since - no matter the "load" involved.

Thanks for all the ideas. In the end, it was the simplest approach that worked - this time.
          Brian & Cindy Rhoda
          2023 Solitude 380FL-R

Comment

You might be able to cut a couple of VEE cuts on the back side so that if / when the cap gets snapped down, it has a way to vent.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Brian,

Thanks for sharing your experience; we purchased our 2023 380FL in May, and also have the 1/2 bath in the kitchen. We have not experienced any issues like what you have described with the rear black water tank and toilet.

I am interested to hear what you determine the source of the problem to be, and how you managed to fix the burping?

Thanks,

Mike
              GDRV Forum Supporter

Mike and Julia
              2023 Solitude 380FL

Comment

Originally posted by mdforten380FL View Post
                Brian,

Thanks for sharing your experience; we purchased our 2023 380FL in May, and also have the 1/2 bath in the kitchen. We have not experienced any issues like what you have described with the rear black water tank and toilet.

I am interested to hear what you determine the source of the problem to be, and how you managed to fix the burping?

Thanks,

Mike
                If the "Brian" you're referencing is Brian Rhoda (the Welcome Letter mentions where to find the information on how to quote and tag) did you see post 19?
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by mdforten380FL View Post
                  Brian,

Thanks,

Mike
                  Hiya Mike -

To answer your question, as Howie mentioned, see post 19.

Now, the only time I get any burping out of that tank is when it is nearly full. I use that as my signal it is time to drain & flush. Using a 5 gallon 'primer' in the tank, we get 10 - 12 days between dumps. Also - last time I was on the roof (our last moving day back in April) I noted the vent cap for that tank was completely gone - just the bare vent pipe sticking up through the roof. .I'm on the fence about replacing it - really doesn't seem to be broke!

Best of luck with your 380 - we LOVE ours!
                  Brian & Cindy Rhoda
                  2023 Solitude 380FL-R

Comment

Working...
                  X