Water pump shuts off on its own while water is in demand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump shuts off on its own while water is in demand

1st time I noticed it was during a shower. When using pump I will wet shut off flow and turn back on (valve on showerhead). It takes awhile to turn on. Checked connections and all are snug.
    faulty pump (shurflo), overheat sensor? Never runs that long.
    2018 337RLS
    720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
    disc brakes, ems

Your water system is likely using expansion of the soft hose as a pressure accumulation tank. The pump pressure expands the hose until it reaches pressure set point and shuts off. When you open the faucet, the hose contracts, pushing out water until the pump switch-on pressure is reached. If you install a system pressure gauge you can watch this happening.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have not had a pump issue like this. I have ran mine almost the entire time for a shower with no issues. Does the pump do the same thing with the kitchen faucet?

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

as rob mentioned, all of the flex lines and even the pex tubing to an extent will expand acting as an expansion chamber. The only lines that do not contribute to the expansion tank are those POST HWH.

OP, you could have debis or sediment in the pressure cut out switch orifice. If comfortable with mechanical devices, you may need to pull the head apart and clean it.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          I have not had a pump issue like this. I have ran mine almost the entire time for a shower with no issues. Does the pump do the same thing with the kitchen faucet?

Brian
          Yes. It does it then also. Just totally stops after turning off the faucet, then back on sometimes. Weird.
          2018 337RLS
          disc brakes, ems

Comment

Originally posted by Jims94vmx View Post

Yes. It does it then also. Just totally stops after turning off the faucet, then back on sometimes. Weird.
            So the pump runs when demand is required then shuts off when not needed, then runs again? Is the run after long or just a small "burp"?

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

So the pump runs when demand is required then shuts off when not needed, then runs again? Is the run after long or just a small "burp"?

Brian
              Scenario: I get in shower and wet down then turn the shutoff valve at the shower head off. Lather up and turn back on the valve and sometimes no water or pump sound. A minute or so and it kicks on.
              handles set to keep temperature until I finish and turn off.

hope that makes sense.

I was ready to tear into it because it would run without pressurizing system. Water still would come out. Figured a stuck valve. I decided to test it using the outside shower and it worked perfectly.
              on off many times. So, let it go.

a few days later the shower and sink issues of not restarting after just running. So, running then turn off flow, turn back flow and sometimes nothing. Did check connections on pump. All secure.

I have not made any changes to the system btw...
              ​​​​
              2018 337RLS
              disc brakes, ems

Comment

No water and no pump sound when opening a faucet is different than we were understanding earlier in this discussion. This sounds like a pressure switch problem at the pump.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Could there be debris in the fixtures or lines?

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    No water and no pump sound when opening a faucet is different than we were understanding earlier in this discussion. This sounds like a pressure switch problem at the pump.

Rob
                    Will have to research pressure switch to see if replaceable or fixable. Thanks
                    2018 337RLS
                    disc brakes, ems

Comment

Just ordered a 2 pack replacement micro switch. This video was good. Will see how mine goes.

https://youtu.be/pf1fN-Sm5NU

2018 337RLS
                      disc brakes, ems

Comment

If you have a unity board controlling the pump, is it possible that the fuse is getting weak? You might try changing the setting if possible to a higher one (briefly) an if that fixes the issue, either the pump is going out, or the board is starting to go out.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                          If you have a unity board controlling the pump, is it possible that the fuse is getting weak? You might try changing the setting if possible to a higher one (briefly) an if that fixes the issue, either the pump is going out, or the board is starting to go out.
                          The 337 has the Unity X1.5 board. The pump is not controlled by that unit, Joseph. It is much less capable than the X4 used exclusively in the Momentum line (large 5vrs).
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The 337 has the Unity X1.5 board. The pump is not controlled by that unit, Joseph. It is much less capable than the X4 used exclusively in the Momentum line (large 5vrs).
                            I do not think the 2018 models had the "One Control" or other, I think those years still had the old style manual switches.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Manual switches on everything. Fine by me.
                              2018 337RLS
                              disc brakes, ems

Comment

Working...
                              X