Geo method for cleaning tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geo method for cleaning tanks

A couple of years ago I came across the “geo method” for keeping your tanks clean. It involved occasionally adding Calgon water softener, bleach and laundry detergent to your black tank. For the gray you use just the Calgon and bleach (plenty of soap already in the gray water). This always made sense to me and would appear not to be harmful as they are just laundry additives. It seemed to work well for me but now my supply of Calgon water softener is gone and I can’t find it or any other brand. I’ve searched grocery stores in both the US and Canada with no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions for an alternative?

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

There is a brand new YouTube video by EnjoyTheJourney.Life where KleenTank (kleentank.com) just performed a full tank cleaning on their Momentum. They have cleaned thousands of tanks and their company now recommends Lysol and Calgone Bath Beads (provides the mixture on their site). You just use one cup per tank after emptying. Apparently, the bath beads perform the same function as your water softener.

Here is the link (if okay to post): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs7YE9hmD7k

Their recommendation is to NOT use chemicals to break down the waste and create the sludgy mess that is hard to get out of the tanks and clogs the sensors.
    2020 Momentum 349M
    2019 F350 Platinum Super Duty
    U.S. Air Force Retired

Comment

I have found that precharging the tanks with 10 gal of water before use prevents most if not all of the build up in tanks. Plus while traveling with water in the tanks the sloshing helps keep debris from settling. We also use the KleenTank stuff about 3 or 4 times a year and not after every use, it is used after the tanks are flushed on the last trip of the year before winter hibernation.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Amazon sells liquid Calvin. https://www.amazon.com/Calgon-Liquid...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I never use bleach... too fearful of damage to seals and O-rings. Only Dawn and ~5 gal water in each tank on travel days. Common advice is to use plenty of water and only dump tanks when full(ish). Being transient campers, this is not always possible. We typically camp 3 to 7 days at time and use dump facilities when exiting parks.

Mike
          Mike & Sonya
          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Just my 02 on this. I do the 10 gal pre-charge but use one cup Dawn dish soap and one Tied laundry pod (pod every other tank or so). Never had a problem yet. Save you money for fun things. Also test you TP..Put a few sheets in a glass jar with water and shake. It should break up quickly. A few Youtube vids on this. I have found basic Charmin - not the extra tough stuff works well and breaks down fast.

Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Calgon is for sale at walmart. it is in the beauty isle by the epson salts. sometimes you find it in the laundry isle.
              "No place to go, No hurry to get there"
              2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
              2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins
              2015 HD Ultra Classic Limited

Comment

Great info. I made up some of the solution recommended in the Kleen Tank video and added it, so hopefully it does the job.

Bob
                2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
                2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

I mostly use the "dump and swirl" method. I make sure that my gray tank is "above" specs by the gray backing up into the shower.

Then I, dump the black, when empty I, close the end valve and,
                  open both gray and black valves and wait until I hear the flow stop and close the gray tank valve and open the line valve,
                  repeat about twice and then,open gray and black and after 15 seconds, close gray and black. first drain empties the water and most of the "soiled" .

By back flushing, it creates turbulence in the black tank and floats anything left, and then the dump shows how much solids were floated and dumped.

If i am not happy with what I see I can dump and entire water heater into the black tank and dump again until I am happy..

When traveling, I maintain 1/3 tank in the black with an enzyme cleaner and and water and an empty gray with a small amount of enzyme cleaner. when breaking camp. I raise the nose as far as possible since possible as my tanks drain from the rear.
                  Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                  Nash County, NC
                  2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                    I mostly use the "dump and swirl" method. I make sure that my gray tank is "above" specs by the gray backing up into the shower.

Then I, dump the black, when empty I, close the end valve and,
                    open both gray and black valves and wait until I hear the flow stop and close the gray tank valve and open the line valve,
                    repeat about twice and then,open gray and black and after 15 seconds, close gray and black. first drain empties the water and most of the "soiled" .

By back flushing, it creates turbulence in the black tank and floats anything left, and then the dump shows how much solids were floated and dumped.

If i am not happy with what I see I can dump and entire water heater into the black tank and dump again until I am happy..

When traveling, I maintain 1/3 tank in the black with an enzyme cleaner and and water and an empty gray with a small amount of enzyme cleaner. when breaking camp. I raise the nose as far as possible since possible as my tanks drain from the rear.
                    That back flush method sounds very interesting. I’m going to try it tomorrow morning when we leave the Big Bend campground after 10 nights off grid. We will be FULL!

Thank you for posting that.
                    Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
                    TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                      On every trailer I've ever worked on the drain pipe into the top of the gray tank is connected and held in place by a friction fit gasket. Kind of like a large rubber doughnut or soft rubber grommet. I am assuming GD does the same install procedure. I would be kinda concerned as the trailer ages that you might start getting some leaking into the underbelly at this gasket if you fill the level to above it (into the shower).

Granted, many times I've failed to dump my gray tank before it backed up into the shower and I've never had an issue. But with the tolerances being used in trailers today I do have more concern.

May not be an issue but just an FYI. If anyone has found the plumbing of their gray tank to be different I'd like to know.
                      2020 Reflection 273MK
                      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I use this method with great success. Always show a single level tank monitor afterward. Never any smells, etc. https://www.trbowlin.com/bio-geo-method/
                        Bill & Cindy
                        2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                        SE Texas

Comment

Lonestar Mathematically, the black tank cannot reach 100% on my home. My black and gray are equal, and even though the majority of the time my dump decision is made by knowing the gray is 110% full by backing up into the shower, Even equalizing at 110% gray tank and not a full empty on the black makes for a 60% max fill on the black tank. Since I do at least one back flow, the max is around 30% max capacity in the black tank. A great starting point for the black tank and a new dump cycle,
                          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                          Nash County, NC
                          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                          X