Black Water Valve sticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Water Valve sticking

I have a 2017 Reflections 337RLS and the Black Water valve is getting very hard to open. It sticks about half way open and I really have to pull hard to get it all the way open. When I push it in after draining the black water tank it feels like it is pushing agains something and wants to spring back open. I have to keep it closed with a piece of wood cut to the right length otherwise I get a slow drain and there is no liquid left in my black water tank. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to make this smoother without dropping the underbelly.
    Thanks

There may be debris in the valve seals hindering the valve blade movement. Not what you want to hear.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

The only way to solve this is to drop the underbelly coroplast and replace the gate valve. Not unexpected on a 2017 trailer. There is an O ring that the gate valve actuating rod moves through. There is no way to get lubrication to this seal, either down the cable or in the tank. From you description, I suspect that this O ring is binding.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Ive been flushing the black water tank for over an hour know and moving the valve in and out. It is a little more plyable but is still sticking. I think from the fact that we mainly use this for summer camping and the trailer has been sitting all winter its a little sticky. Is there anything that I can put in the tank to clean and lubricate the valve. I've watched the video from Kleen Tank with the Calgon remidy. Does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by rpaling View Post
          Ive been flushing the black water tank for over an hour know and moving the valve in and out. It is a little more plyable but is still sticking. I think from the fact that we mainly use this for summer camping and the trailer has been sitting all winter its a little sticky. Is there anything that I can put in the tank to clean and lubricate the valve. I've watched the video from Kleen Tank with the Calgon remidy. Does that work?
          I use food grade silicone with good results. I was not comfortable using a petroleum based product and went this route. Food grade grease could also work. The flexible spray can extensions can help for distribution.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-03040...018c&gclsrc=ds

https://www.amazon.com/Aeroflex-Pene...419040&sr=8-28

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2023, 03:26 PM.

Comment

The Calgon remedy or the Geo Method are great ways to take care of your black tank, but I doubt seriously that it will help your current problem.

As stated above you have one of two, and maybe both problems. They valve has debris in it and will not seal correctly, the valve is broken, or the cable is not moving within it's shield as it should.

It's not a fun job but you will not know for certain which of the problems you have until you drop the underbelly and take the valve apart. I've had tissue caught in the valve seal, and corrected it by taking the valve apart and cleaning. With all the work it takes to get to the valve, and considering a trailer age of yours, I would definitely replace with a new valve assembly, and even a cable if needed.

2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

It may not be the valve--it could be the actual steel cable in the sleeve. I've fought this numerous times. As usual there's a long associated thread...if you'd like to read the saga see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...valves-315rlts

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The “spring back” that you can hold in place with the piece of wood to keep the gate valve closed . . . is a curious description. I think you are going to have to get eyes on this gate valve to figure out why this is. This does not seem like friction in the cable or friction in the gate between the seals.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I suspect the spring back is cable flex when the valve blade stops and you continue to push the handle.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                    I suspect the spring back is cable flex when the valve blade stops and you continue to push the handle.
                    I would agree . . . except that the OP states that holding the handle in with a block of wood closes the gate valve . . . this doesn’t fit with your (our) theory.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

What could be happening with the spring back is that with no force on the handle the sheath is returning back to its relaxed state, and the cable is also relaxing. This could result in the disc moving back particularly if it is partially in a bind with the O-ring seal.
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

The problem is not the valve, the problem is in the cable linkage. I had the same problem and like most here thought that the valve was getting hung up on something or the O ring was messed up. When I got the underbelly off and disconnected the cable to my surprise the valve worked very well and was easy to operate by hand. I went back to the “T” handle and it was as hard to pull as ever. I installed a 12 volt actuator on the existing 3 inch black water slide gate valve thur a little rocker switch and have had great luck with it since then.
                        2022 315RLTS

Comment

By the way (and I am not in any way associated with Amazon), but that is where I ordered the actuator from.
                          It is “ Barker 24130 3" Auto Drain”

2022 315RLTS

Comment

Working...
                          X