Installing external check valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing external check valve

I have decided to install an inline, external check valve at my pump. Can someone tell me which side it should be installed on? Thanks.

Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

I believe it is opposite the filter. It should allow water out of the pump but not in to the pump, flow arrow should point away from the pump.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks, Brian.
      Bill & Cindy
      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
      SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        I believe it is opposite the filter. It should allow water out of the pump but not in to the pump, flow arrow should point away from the pump.

Brian
        This would be the outlet side?
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

The filter is supposed to be attached to the inlet side of the pump to catch debris before it goes through the pump. I would imagine you would want the check valve on the opposite side to keep water from flowing backwards, usually there is an arrow on check valves indicating flow direction and that should point away from the pump.
          Scott & Mikaela
          2022 375 RES
          2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Be aware, a typical check valve will drop 2-3 psi water pressure. Not a lot, but most people value all the pressure they can get. Curious why you’re adding a check valve when the pump provides this function already. I also wonder if it might increase the pulsation in your pump output since the pressure switch will effectively now be between two check valves.
            2022 3100RD
            2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
            Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Originally posted by Sandridge4 View Post
              The filter is supposed to be attached to the inlet side of the pump to catch debris before it goes through the pump. I would imagine you would want the check valve on the opposite side to keep water from flowing backwards, usually there is an arrow on check valves indicating flow direction and that should point away from the pump.
              ​Thank you, that makes sense.

Originally posted by Rabbit View Post
              Be aware, a typical check valve will drop 2-3 psi water pressure. Not a lot, but most people value all the pressure they can get. Curious why you’re adding a check valve when the pump provides this function already. I also wonder if it might increase the pulsation in your pump output since the pressure switch will effectively now be between two check valves.
              The internal pump check valve gets stuck open enough to allow the fresh tank to fill when I don't want it filled. It is hit or miss on when it does this so I will add the inline valve to prevent that. Eventually I will replace the pump which still works well with this exception.
              Bill & Cindy
              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
              SE Texas

Comment

Working...
              X