Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bulging Holding Tanks - Need detailed Dimensions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulging Holding Tanks - Need detailed Dimensions.

Yesterday I got the armoring done and moved on to supporting the fresh water tank. It is badly bulged in the center causing usage issues. from what I measured it is bowed down about 2 to 2.5" in the center - I can hand push it back in shape. I found this drawing on the GD parts page.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	250.6 KB ID:	111588

It appears to be a straight taper. Is this a correct assumption, However my tank has a support hole (anti surge baffle) in the center.

What I cant find is detailed information on the gray/black tanks. While crawling under there I als discovered why my back kitchen gray tanks drains so slow It too has a large center sag. I believe I can support it to take the bulge out , but it is a tight space with the hitch running under it. Even though I dumped it on a slope last year I found it still had over 5 gallons in it [pooled in the center. I just need to know the whole tank is tapered like the water tank, or if the taper starts at the center.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0428s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.2 KB ID:	111589 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0429s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	237.0 KB ID:	111590

Theses are the two front gray and black tanks - I don't have a photo of the rear yet. Whats interesting is same tank but two different gallons. Parts look up does not show the other gray tank, but could be the same.

Ameri-Kart requires a log in . https://ameri-kart.com/RV-Products.aspx

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1317s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.6 KB ID:	111591 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1309s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.6 KB ID:	111592
    Water tank in place. Last picture is of the front gray and black tank. I think the black tank is furthest from the camera in the photo. Theses are not bowed as bad as the rear gray. Ill get the pat number today. All tanks are empty in theses photos.

For the water tank I have some 3" strapping - just not sure it will take the bow out. There is also about 1" above the tank. I was going to put a sheet of foam up there to prevent it bouncing on the support frame. Thoughts on that? Doing so might make the straps work better too and not let them lift the tank. No matter what I will need to shim the strap on one side as the cross frame members are at different heights - maybe use longer bolts with washers and make stand offs?

Thanks for any thought?

Keith

On edit
    I think I found the gray/black tank dimensions https://jazzsales.com/product/holdin...sed-end-drain/ Just need to verify.
    Last edited by Yoda; 05-03-2023, 09:55 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Dimensions of the gray and black tank. With this I can measure the tanks and figure out how the should be. The design bracing to get then close to the original dimensions. For the front gray and black I think I can do this with the insulation and just build up some areas to support the tank and hold in place with a couple of cross braces as I had planed for anyway with my sectioning of the coroplast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	242
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	111596

Thanks again
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Based on dwg W1497, I would say the freshwater tank slopes 1 inch in 60 inches, but no firsthand knowledge. I think your idea of using board insulation above tank and then shims on the under bracing to support the slope of the tank will work.
      John
      2018 Momentum 395M
      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
        Based on dwg W1497, I would say the freshwater tank slopes 1 inch in 60 inches, but no firsthand knowledge. I think your idea of using board insulation above tank and then shims on the under bracing to support the slope of the tank will work.
        Thanks John
        I found the rear gray tank is the same model - its the problem child.

I measured with a straight level and found the two front tanks out maybe 1/2" in the center (slight belly sag). but the slope is fine.

The rear tank is bowed 2.5" in the center causing the contents to puddle when drained. It drains slow too, so will get out my bore scope today and look I also found it can move sideways 2" and is only restrained by the pipe clamp holding the outlet. I plan to glue some rigid foam to the floor to block it in place. Secondary foam chunks in the channels too.

My plan is to do the water tank first using the strapping and insulation above to keep it from bouncing, get it insulated in that area and get the new axles in. Then tackle the rear tank once the cribbing is out of the way.

Keith

On edit - to clarify how I measured. Using the drawing in post #2 there should be about 1/2"+ bevel to the center of the tank at the outlet. This appears to taper to almost nothing (1/4") at the far end. I found the edge measurements to be pretty concomitant, By using a 1/2" spacer on the edge I measured level across to the center and checked the sag. I also used a straight edge down the center to check if the slope was constant - no sag. On the rear tank it was an uphill slope tot he outlet. Note the trailer is sitting dead level side to side on the cribbing.
        Last edited by Yoda; 05-04-2023, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Yoda -- reads like you've uncovered the culprit for many of the "slow draining" issues we read about on the forum (bulging tanks). Your attention to detail and persistence is remarkable.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            Yoda -- reads like you've uncovered the culprit for many of the "slow draining" issues we read about on the forum (bulging tanks). Your attention to detail and persistence is remarkable.
            LOL - in my case persistence and detail equates to pain and suffering. Good thing I have the axles out of the way - but this work kills my back, even with my good creeper. Good exercise though.

The biggest issue that really concerns me is the lack of tank bracing to keep them from moving. 49 gallons of water freely sliding side to side 4"+ banging against the frame and the the wiring and plumbing fittings is a concern. The rear black gray tank (sitting sideways) is the same. only the hanger to the outlet pipe restrains it. Some simple restraint blocking (hard rubber blocks) on the support channels would easily fix the problem. My two tanks forward (gray/black) are a little better, but still held in place by the plumbing piping - no restraint on the tank frame itself from what I can see.

If my 3" strapping works on the fresh water tank, I'll add it to the rear gray and front tanks too. For some reason the other two are not bulged as much.

Water tank support thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...orcement-220rk In case folks are wondering on my fresh water tank fix.

Hoping to have a friendly chat with an engineer at the rally about tank support and frame strength. (don't know if that will be possible though)

Also my thought on a new short 5th wheel layout (split bath) so can access bath with the slide in. You know Yoda's Tank V 2.0

But anyway - Thanks for the kind thoughts Howard - its the engineer in me that causes this....along with AAADD and CRS .

Keith

Comment

Working...
            X