Fresh Water Tank Reinforcement - 220RK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Yoda . . . WOW Keith, that’s a lot of info . . . slow down LOL!

Back to basics. Standard Pex pipe, fittings and clamp rings are simple and the least expensive alternative. You do need a good crimper designed for 1/2” Pex. Adding elbows to route around things does not introduce as much restriction as you would expect. I routed lines around the path I need to keep clear for eventual furnace removal. I was expecting flow restriction in a run that now has 4 elbows where previously there were none. No noticeable flow restriction . . . I can’t really explain why.

I will add that I am not a fan of sharkbite fittings. Stupidly expensive and (in my experience) more likely to leak than a simple crimp ring Pex pipe connection.

Rob
    TedS

Thanks Rob and Ted.
    As HD has limited stock I may run to Farmington NM to see what is available in the pex and fittings. What you telling me makes a lot of sense. I get frustrated and Rob says I need to slow down
    The Pex crimp too; here is limited to what HD has (Apolio) posted above) and the reviews on the ratchet one are not that good. Rob - may I ask what you have? Ted do you have a recommendation?

Supposed to rain tomorrow so off to get supplies. While I am doing this I am trying to get the subdivision irrigation system up and running, and finish planting my garden - I got to have my Brandywines

So have a cold one of your choice and laugh at me going nuts. I was under the trailer again this afternoon and I think it may be somewhat easier than I thought, depending on how flexible the pex is. I ran it before for my new addition on my house , but left the connection up to the plumber. I know not to force the bends

Keith

On edit - are there any good videos on how to do the clamp crimps. I have watched a few and the all seem different in some ways, so don't know what to trust
    Also what clamp should I get from my post or should I get a different one?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Hi Keith,

I have posted the attached before, but in this I show the tools (and parts) that I use. I have been tempted to get a "one handed" Pex ring crimper, but manage to keep getting by with the one that I have. It does not release until the crimp ring is properly compressed . . . I would think this is an important consideration for any crimp ring tool.

Rob

Plumbing Tools & Parts.pdf
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

This is the tool kit I purchased a while back and have been using, it has worked and held up great.
        https://www.amazon.com/iCrimp-Cinch-...a-490791548289

You can get 1/2" rings as well. Cheaper than the box stores.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yoda I have the Sharkbite Pincer PEX clamp tool. It does what I need it to do. Grip, hold, clinch. Have had no rachet problems.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Yoda not sure if this is in stock at your Home Depot but this is the one I have which is similar to Robs:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-3...1096/202640984
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              Yoda Hi Keith,

I have posted the attached before, but in this I show the tools (and parts) that I use. I have been tempted to get a "one handed" Pex ring crimper, but manage to keep getting by with the one that I have. It does not release until the crimp ring is properly compressed . . . I would think this is an important consideration for any crimp ring tool.

Rob

[ATTACH]n112519[/ATTACH]
              Thanks for posting that again - I went looking for it yesterday, but my search ability is not stiller - lets just say it......

Looks like I get another tool out of this

How is that crimp tool in tight spaces? Looks about 12" long and about 3" wide
              Thanks again
              Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

LOL I love this place. Anytime I need a new tool everyone loves to help LOL

I think my local Ace has the Sharkbite Pincer PEX clamp tool and HD has the Apallo, but reviews are mixed - especially on the construction, but it is cheaper. Brian I also like thatiCRIMP, but cant wait a week to get, but will look locally for it

After sleeping on it the only fitting I need to fix right now is the lower water tank one. The low point drains are out of the way of the axles.

Thanks for the help in parting me from my money, but this is actually one tool I should have.
                Keith

Comment

Yoda regarding reviews, keep in mind you're not using it on a job site or to do a whole house. For a few on the camper you should be fine. I've got both the shark bite and Apollo (one at home and one in the rig) plus one of the big compression ones for the copper rings. I think any would hold up to what you're doing.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Its all Ted's Fault! TedS

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1552s.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	112549 Parts is parts

Name:	IMG_1553s.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	112550 At several stores I tried several brands, and got the 3 handled Sharkbite one. Its a bit smaller and once we figured out what the third handle was for (easing ratchet closing using one hand) It was the best fit for my small hands. Also got the Pex-B fittings I needed, clamps and thread sealant so I should be good to go.. Now maybe I should read the instructions on how to use the tool?.

Of course now that I have the parts it is going to rain

Thanks Folks
                    Keith

Comment

Yoda Keith, enjoy! Got a PEX tube cutter?
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                        Yoda Keith, enjoy! Got a PEX tube cutter?
                        LOL Yep! - actually 2

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                          LOL I love this place. Anytime I need a new tool everyone loves to help LOL

I think my local Ace has the Sharkbite Pincer PEX clamp tool and HD has the Apallo, but reviews are mixed - especially on the construction, but it is cheaper. Brian I also like thatiCRIMP, but cant wait a week to get, but will look locally for it

After sleeping on it the only fitting I need to fix right now is the lower water tank one. The low point drains are out of the way of the axles.

Thanks for the help in parting me from my money, but this is actually one tool I should have.
                          Keith

I've been using PEX for over 20 years and plumbed two houses with it. Very good stuff. I have the full crimp set but I also have this tool for very tight spaces and it really helps. Sometimes you cannot get the 2 handle crimper where you need to be, or don't have the handle swing space, or you really need to get flat up against a wall or object and cannot get the 90 degree crimp angle. You tighten it with a regular socket set and your socket extensions and swivels can give you more range for challenging situations. It is a very simple design, and works on 3/4, 1/2 and 3/8 I think, never used 3/8. You just unscrew bolts and flip it around like you need. Tightening the bolts all the way sets the copper crimp ring to stop at the correct crimp depth. I just looked online and could only find a few photos of this but I'm sure any commercial plumbing supply has them. Big box stores may have them. Good luck!

Name:	Masterforce PEX block style crimp tool.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	112589
                          2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Comment

Well this should close this thread out until I can fill and test. I replaced the plastic 90 (post 7) and moved the blue poly line under the sewer pipe and the the side of the water tank.

Name:	IMG_1554s.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	112701 The brass fitting set a bit deeper than the plastic one. I cut the pipe just past the fitting. There was enough slack in this line to gently push it back and fit it over the sewer pipe. Yes I did pull the false wall and check first, for once The hardest part was the final closure of my new crimp tool - took more force that I thought it wood. It was a tight space though.. The third handle was great for the initial tightening.

Name:	IMG_1556s.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	112702

New pipe routing (see post 7 for old) I will add protection from abrasion when I do all of the electric too. I have som pipe insulation somewhere, or use a pool noodle.

Now to install the center hangers and the axles

Comment

Last fall when I picked up our new trailer, I found the fresh water tank would not hold more than 2/3. The fresh water tank was cracked where the breather/overflow line was attached near the top of the tank. Tank was replaced. It was already winter when I received that trailer back. This spring, once the weather would allow, I pulled the coroplast down to check on the work. I found they had left the breather/overflow tubes in the underbelly, and like you found there was no support to keep the tank from sliding side to side. I could see like you mentioned that the breather lines could come in contact with the wiring and framework if the tank slid. I attached wood blocks at each end, with a 1/4" space, to hopefully keep the tank in place. I will need to open the belly up again and recheck the strapping holding the tank.
                              2022 Reflection 297RSTS
                              2015 Chevy K2500 Duramax

Comment

Working...
                              X