Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Replace Water Pump?

Hi there,

We're newbies and I am super afraid of doing any work on the unit ourselves - we're not the handiest people but smart enough. lol

Dealer said we need to replace the water pump and told us it was super easy to do - we also need to replace our converter which looks simple enough - and service said the pump was easier than the converter. I hate the idea of hiring a mobile tech to do something that is quite possibly a very simple fix. If anyone can offer some instructions, link or direct me to another post (I searched but did not find what I was looking for), I would really appreciate it.

I appreciate any help!
    Carrie and Brian + Indiana and Charleston (dogs)
    2022 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    Home base: Central Texas

Originally posted by CMartATX View Post
    Hi there,

We're newbies and I am super afraid of doing any work on the unit ourselves - we're not the handiest people but smart enough. lol

Dealer said we need to replace the water pump and told us it was super easy to do - we also need to replace our converter which looks simple enough - and service said the pump was easier than the converter. I hate the idea of hiring a mobile tech to do something that is quite possibly a very simple fix. If anyone can offer some instructions, link or direct me to another post (I searched but did not find what I was looking for), I would really appreciate it.

I appreciate any help!
    Most difficult part of replacing my water pump was accessing it, removing it and installing the new one. This was due to the location of the water pump. It is under our kitchen cabinets so you have absolutely no room for your hands.

Your first step is to locate the water pump, then you can remove an replace with a new one.

Your water pump will have 2 water connections (in and out) and a 2 electrical connections (+/-).

Do a youtube search on how to replace an RV water pump. There are a lot of videos out there

FOr your converter you will likely have to remove your main electrical access panel. Converter are usually at the bottom of of this panel.....but you access the converter from the "inside".

The wiring should be long enough to just pull out the panel about 6-12" to access the converter. Flip the converter breaker to off before you replace to avoid a shock. Then just disconnect the +/- from the converter, remove the converter, then reverse the process to install the new one.
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I'm curious why your dealer wants you to replace those two devices. Are they defective?

I'm attaching a snap shot of your floor plan. The water pump is designated as "P" in the drawing and is under the kitchen cabinets near the stove.

Click image for larger version

Name:	221 WP.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	112029

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Most difficult part of replacing my water pump was accessing it, removing it and installing the new one. This was due to the location of the water pump. It is under our kitchen cabinets so you have absolutely no room for your hands.
        Yup, I had more trouble removing the 2 backside screws holding the pump to the floor than anything else. I couldn't see them and needed a second elbow in the right arm for proper leverage... and yes, tiny hands would help too. Put an old pillow or folded towel across the lower cabinet opening... you'll save your ribs. All in all, a one beverage job.

Mike
        Mike & Sonya
        2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
        Blue Ox SwayPro
        2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Welcome to the forum. I'm curious why your dealer wants you to replace those two devices. Are they defective?

I'm attaching a snap shot of your floor plan. The water pump is designated as "P" in the drawing and is under the kitchen cabinets near the stove.

Click image for larger version

Name:	221 WP.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	112029

Jim
          Thank you so much for the diagram! The downside is that I'm bummed it's in that location instead of behind the cargo space. :( Yep, bad converter and bad water pump. Bought brand new but only got to using it "in the wild" just this year. I called GD about the converter in February and they started a claim but since it was (not even) a month out of warranty, they refuse to replace it. We learned about the pump after the fact, so since that was a month after, I just assume GD would reject the water pump claim also. :( Pretty annoyed at buying a completely brand new trailer with two fundamental components that are inoperable which we are now going to have to pay out of pocket for parts and either do the work ourselves - which honestly I am afraid to do - or pay for a tech to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

FOr your converter you will likely have to remove your main electrical access panel. Converter are usually at the bottom of of this panel.....but you access the converter from the "inside".

The wiring should be long enough to just pull out the panel about 6-12" to access the converter. Flip the converter breaker to off before you replace to avoid a shock. Then just disconnect the +/- from the converter, remove the converter, then reverse the process to install the new one.
            Yes, luckily WFCO has a video on installing the converter which looks pretty straight forward. I asked the dealer how difficult it is to replace the water pump and he said "easier than the converter," but I guess he and I have different interpretations of easy bc from what is described above having to finagle around the stove and whatnot, sounds like a pain!

Would I ridiculous to hire a tech to do this stuff or should I just take a chance and see what happens? Thank y'al for your help. Much appreciated.

Comment

Regarding the WFCO converter. The converter should be equipped with reverse polarity fuses. If anyone accidentally reverses the battery source for even a second, these fuses blow to protect the circuit. I'd suggest you pull all the fuses and check them before replacing the converter. Most WFCO converters have the bottom fuses set for the reverse polarity function. Popping these fuses is very common and a real simple fix if they are blown.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by CMartATX View Post

Yes, luckily WFCO has a video on installing the converter which looks pretty straight forward. I asked the dealer how difficult it is to replace the water pump and he said "easier than the converter," but I guess he and I have different interpretations of easy bc from what is described above having to finagle around the stove and whatnot, sounds like a pain!

Would I ridiculous to hire a tech to do this stuff or should I just take a chance and see what happens? Thank y'al for your help. Much appreciated.
                Assuming the GD Parts Lookup is accurate, I disagree that the converter in your unit it "easy" to replace. I believe the dealer is assuming it's a standalone converter (like in many GD units) but in your Transcend that's not the case. The converter is built into the Distribution Panel so there's more to the replacement.

Below is a pic I snagged from GD's parts lookup website that shows where the converter is located. Ignore the red--that was on the original pic. The converter is the item at the bottom (appropriately labeled).

Click image for larger version  Name:	1683842757.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.9 KB ID:	112039
                A lot can go wrong when replacing an electrical part. If it was just the water pump, I'd say "go for it" as that's super easy. But the converter in this WFCO DP? Not unless you were 100% sure you knew what you were doing (or had a friend to help that could guide you through it).

Hire a competent RV tech. Ask at the campground office for a reference as there are some "bad apples" out there.

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Assuming the GD Parts Lookup is accurate, I disagree that the converter in your unit it "easy" to replace. I believe the dealer is assuming it's a standalone converter (like in many GD units) but in your Transcend that's not the case. The converter is built into the Distribution Panel so there's more to the replacement.

Below is a pic I snagged from GD's parts lookup website that shows where the converter is located. Ignore the red--that was on the original pic. The converter is the item at the bottom (appropriately labeled).

Click image for larger version Name:	1683842757.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.9 KB ID:	112039
                  A lot can go wrong when replacing an electrical part. If it was just the water pump, I'd say "go for it" as that's super easy. But the converter in this WFCO DP? Not unless you were 100% sure you knew what you were doing (or had a friend to help that could guide you through it).

Hire a competent RV tech. Ask at the campground office for a reference as there are some "bad apples" out there.

Howard
                  Howard

That set up looks similar to mine. If so it is easier than you think - remember I disconnected mine when I did the Multiplus install, but left it in place and just tied up the wires.

CMartATX
                  MY suggestion is just do one side at a time. Take several photos of how the wires are connected and place labels at each connection.(WITH BOTH 120V DISCONNECTED AND BATTERY CABLES DISSECTED FIRST) On the 120V side where it is connected to the breaker disconnect the power wire from the breaker (just loosen screw and split the pigtail) Then remove the green ground wire form ground bar (again loosen screw) the the white neutral wire form the neutral bar (again loosen the screw and pull wire out)

ON EDIT i NOTICED ON THAT PANEL THE [POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE WIRES LOCATION ARE DIFFERENT THAN MINE. NEGATIVE IS AT THE TOP. NOT POSITIVE - TEXT EDITED BELOW

Now to the 12V side. It's strange Howard's drawing does not show colors. The NEGATIVE output feed from the converter will be WHITE it ties to the same point the battery NEGATIVE does (double connection at top), Just loosen and pull the wire out. There may be other wires, just leave them... Then remove the POSITIVE wire (RED OR BLACK - PROBABLY BLACK) from the terminal block.

At this point you should be able to pull the old converter out but there may be several base screws. Put the new unit in and reverse the wiring , starting withe 12V side. Be sure to snug all connections down firmly.

You should not need to putt he unit off the wall. Just remove the outer cover, then the frame cover and you should have full access. Please post pictures before you start, just in case the wiring colors and orientation are different.

Now each component should be covered by thier own separate warranty, so contact them first. I assume the water pump came from Lippert. but any good brand will work, Just match flow and pressure, but this is a good time to improve on what you have. How did the dealer know thier are bad?. Converter has fuses and so does the water pump, so check them first. Is the pump bad due to freezing? There also may be a hidden fuse on the water pump wiring too, but you can check for 12V with a multi meter or power probe.

Do you own a Multi meter for electrical testing - if not get one - even a cheap 20$ one will do. Many here can tell you how to double check things. As for the pump replacement, there should be fittings you can undo, remove pump. disconnect and reconnect wire, and reinstall, but from its location easier said than done.

Again post pictures and if possible and details of how the dealer cane to find they are bad. Al least they told you replacement was DIY. and did not charge you to do the replacement. Good practice anyway.

Hope this helps

Keith
                  Last edited by Yoda; 05-11-2023, 09:13 PM.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Seeing as it is new and unused...........I would be questioning the dealer troubleshooting. There are a lot of dealer "techs" out there that would be better at basket weaving. I don't think any new trailer would get off the lot with a bad converter. Had to pass GD qa/qc and dealer pdi.....so... something fishy.....imo.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

The first part of learning to do something is being afraid of it. Those are the people that are most likely to get it right the first time. If you have basic handyman skills, you should be able to replace both.

GD may not be willing to offer a warranty, but the MFG warranty may still apply: https://wfcoelectronics.com/warranty-returns/ also depending on what brand of pump it may still be under MFG warranty. Check your delivery date of the CAMPER not the MFG date for the warranty to have started.

The pump will most likely have threaded connectors on the in and out connections, I suggest replacing the seals in these. If you are doing a like for like replacement the connectors should be the same, just new seals.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                      X