Very bad black tank odor throughout RV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very bad black tank odor throughout RV

Suddenly we are experiencing very bad black tank odor in our Solitude S. I have replaced the black tank and large gray tank drain valves and cables, were working very hard. PITA job by the way. All was well for a few days, then smell started. Removed cargo and panels in crawl space to get access to plumbing, all looks fine. Drained black tank and situation improved, but it's back. Could it be a vent issue? We are fulltiming, camp workers in Pagosa Springs. We appreciate any and all help!
    2020 Solitude 2930RL S-Class

You may want to check the vent on the roof to see if it has any obstructions. There is one screw that holds it on then it just pops off. When you checked the plumbing in the pass thru did you check the tank connections? There should be a large one for the toilet and a small one for the vent, both should be visible.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian, thanks. Will check very soon!

Comment

Originally posted by steve gravelle View Post
        Suddenly we are experiencing very bad black tank odor in our Solitude S. I have replaced the black tank and large gray tank drain valves and cables, were working very hard. PITA job by the way. All was well for a few days, then smell started. Removed cargo and panels in crawl space to get access to plumbing, all looks fine. Drained black tank and situation improved, but it's back. Could it be a vent issue? We are fulltiming, camp workers in Pagosa Springs. We appreciate any and all help!
        Could it be as simple as a bad AAV (Air Admittance Valve)? Gray tanks sometimes smell worse than black tanks! Your Solitude should have these valves under the bathroom sink and the kitchen sink. Very easy change and parts are available at any big box store.

See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...mittance-valve and https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...grey-tank-odor for conversations about the valves.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Brian and Howard, we treasure your concern and knowledge! The roof vent has no obstruction, but the air admittance valve in the bathroom is a problem, sink drains very slowly. Removed both valves by hand and as we are taking our Solitude to Durango tomorrow to get body damage estimated, we'll swing over to Home Depot to get new valves, maybe three. This is what we treasure about Grand Design, the hearts of fellow owners to share knowledge and help!

Comment

All the vent lines come together on their way to the single roof vent. Thus, the black tank vent is “connected” to the grey tank AAVs. A slight pressure difference between outside and inside pressure (can be caused by an exhaust fan) is enough to cause the preferred route for black tank odours to be through a failed AAV rather than out the roof stack.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

With respect to the slow draining bathroom sink, steve gravelle, if you don't already have one get a screen for the drain when you stop to pick up the AAV. Toothpaste, soap scum, hair and other stuff can quickly plug the sink drain line. It would be a good idea to snake the drain line out too. I found it fairly easy to insert the snake through the fitting that the AAV screws onto.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Update to all, our friends at Home Depot had AAVs in stock. Returning to Pagosa Springs from Durango, odor was terrible in our unit. Installing new AAVs has returned inside air quality to Rocky Mountain pine perfection, except when cooking bacon. Fortunately, that dissipates quickly. Many thanks to our valued fellow Grand Design owners!

Comment

Originally posted by steve gravelle View Post
                  Update to all, our friends at Home Depot had AAVs in stock. Returning to Pagosa Springs from Durango, odor was terrible in our unit. Installing new AAVs has returned inside air quality to Rocky Mountain pine perfection, except when cooking bacon. Fortunately, that dissipates quickly. Many thanks to our valued fellow Grand Design owners!
                  Good to hear. How was Tarply? - I vaguely remember you heading there.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Please educate me. What's the purpose of the AAV's and how many should I have in my trailer?
                    2020 Reflection 273MK
                    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                      Please educate me. What's the purpose of the AAV's and how many should I have in my trailer?
                      The AAV is used where a vent (to the roof) is not practical. Usually they are found in GDRVs under the bathroom sink and kitchen sink.

Unfortunately can't be more specific than that as the moderators don't have the info for your 273MK.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	296
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	113173
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson so it's basically an air "check valve" to prevent a vacuum and slow draining? I'll look under the sinks.
                        2020 Reflection 273MK
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                          howson so it's basically an air "check valve" to prevent a vacuum and slow draining? I'll look under the sinks.
                          I think so? I'll leave the technical explanation to Cate&Rob, TedS, or one of the other super-smart folks here.

Comment

Lonestarhowson

Why is an AAV required? . . . When a column of water drops in a vertical pipe it creates a vacuum behind it that can pull the water out of a P trap. This is not a problem if the P trap connects directly to a vertical vent stack (as is usual in a residential situation) since air will be drawn down the vent stack before water is pulled out of the P trap. But, if there is no adjacent vertical vent stack (as is usual in an RV), there needs to be a way to let air in before this vacuum pulls the water out of the P trap. This is what the AAV (Air Admittance Valve) does. Of course, this valve has to be one-way to prevent odours from the drain system from coming back into the RV. Thus, the failure mode of an AAV is when the one-way feature fails and tank odours come back out.

There should be an AAV to go with every P trap drain in an RV unless there is an adjacent roof vent stack (which would be unusual). "Duck bill" drains create a positive seal and do not require an AAV.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Replying to Yoda re: Tarpley. We had a good visit with Tarpley. Megan is the service advisor/manager we talked to. She brought out one of the service techs who is knowledgeable on interior issues. No surprise, he showed us what needs to be done to repair and it requires removal of all cabinetry above bed and to do repair, quite a bit more than insurance estimated. Megan is quite young and has a courteous and respectful attitude. I believe they will get the work done properly as long as they can get insurance to concur. Always an issue.

It sounds like you worked with Tarpley and it was a challenge. Would appreciate your experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X