Black tank release valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black tank release valve

Hi all, I brought my brand new 2400Bh about 45 days ago when it was still winterized. When I went to de-winterize it and flush everything out, I couldn't open the black tank release valve. The grey tanks opened without issue and had some "play" even when you push the valve in when it is closed, as it should work. My black valve wont even budge in the slightest. I called Bluedog and they told me to pour an entire bottle of Unique tank dissolve solution and fill my tank 2/3'rds full with fresh water, so I did that. I am now going on my 3rd camping trip unable to use my toilet at all... I also sprayed some penetrating WD40 at the insertion point of the valve handle, still no luck.
    I have also been trying for 2+ weeks to get my camper in to get fixed, but Bluedog is saying tough luck and we can get to you in 3+ weeks...
    Anyone have any suggestions? I am afraid that even if I do take it in for repair, they are going to have to tear out a bunch of stuff on my brand new trailer, making it not very "new" anymore. But maybe it will be an easy fix

Clinthickey85 if you want to tackle it yourself, I'd start by dropping your coroplast and having a look at the valve. It's connected to the handle by a cable (similar to a throttle cable). Sometimes routing can cause it to not function properly, but I'd guess the valve itself is bound up. If you look at the exit of the tank you should see the valve and where the cable attaches, you might be able to operate the valve directly there and get it open and moving.

If you do decide to have the dealer repair it I would insist they drop the coroplast rather than cut it open under the tank. I've heard of that before and as you said your rig is new I would not want it cut and taped, I would want it whole.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

My black tank handle stuck as well due to salt corrosion when delivered to the dealer. 2-3 applications of penetrating oil at the handle cable insertion point and rotating the handle less than 1/4 turn both ways before pulling freed it up.

Good luck.

Mike
      Mike & Sonya
      2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
      Blue Ox SwayPro
      2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Clinthickey85 -- maybe a bit too much information, but there's a lengthy thread with copious information on the likely issue here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...valves-315rlts
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Oh, boy, am I ever going to catch the naysayers with this one!

Don't use a penetrating oil for this trick, as they will dissolve the rubber seals!

Use WD-40.

From a jug.

With a scrap length of water hose.

And an air compressor.

Ram the hose up the black tank outlet until it stops against the valve face.

Back off three inches.

Using a standard air nozzle, crank that compressor up and let the the wind begin!

Be sure to stuff the end of the nozzle a half inch or so into the hose end.

Dribble (that is a technical term) the WD-40 from the jug into the hose, letting the free-flowing air suck it in and blow it all over the valve, from the inside.

Grab a glass of iced tea and enjoy the wait.

When you finish the tea or 30 minutes has elapsed (whichever is the greater amount of time), try the valve.

If it is not free, tap, LIGHTLY, on the end of the handle.

Lube it, again.

Wait, again.

(A second glass of iced tea is not only permitted, but recommended.)

If that doesn't work, you have a righteous chore ahead of you.

Hopefully, you will be as lucky as I was!

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X