2023 23LDE On-Demand Hot Water Malfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 23LDE On-Demand Hot Water Malfunction

Hi everyone. Brand new 2023 23LDE owner here. On our first trip out, the on-demand hot water did not work as expected while hooked up to campground water with a 40-50 psi regulator and filter. The first day was absolutely fine and then the next couple of days were very strange. Sometimes the tap would get lukewarm in the kitchen but then hot in the bathroom, but cold in the shower. We tried all sorts of things including ensuring the flow knob was turned all the way up on the on-demand heater itself, turning down the max temperature at the control panel and also trying to increase the flow by introducing a little cold water while the hot water was running (understanding that there needs to be a minimum flow to get the hot water to heat properly). Nothing seemed to work. Water would be warm then cold and maybe warm again, no matter how long we let it run. **EDIT: It's also worth noting, I tried briefly without the pressure regulator and it was the same behavior.

Then, we added about 1/2 a tank to the fresh water and switched over from the park water to the onboard water pump, but it was the also the same behavior.

Finally to take a shower, we had to leave the bathroom sink running full blast, and only then would the shower get hot.

As we were packing up to leave, I tried one last time to see - and at that point, everything seemed to be working perfectly (?!). Very strange and maddening.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?
    Last edited by oarieder; 06-02-2023, 09:26 PM.
    -----
    2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE
    Andersen weight distribution hitch - 3350
    2023 Toyota Tundra - towing package
    Upstate - NY

Have you made sure that your outside hose/shower faucets are turned off? If these are open (even without the hose/shower in use), it creates a cold/hot mixing that confuses things.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I don’t have any recommendations for you as my 2023 23LDE has the 6gal water heater

Comment

Cate & Rob, as I'm thinking about it. I did use the rear shower port to rinse things off during the trip, and right before we packed up and I tried the inside hot water again I made sure the external faucet valves were off. It never occurred to me that this could cause the behavior. Frankly I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. As soon as I get the trailer back I'll see if I can reproduce. Appreciate it!
        -----
        2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE
        Andersen weight distribution hitch - 3350
        2023 Toyota Tundra - towing package
        Upstate - NY

Comment

oarieder One thing I learned (the hard way) is that the on demand HWH does not like to play well with low water flow through it. I turn the temp down when taking a shower and leave the cold water OFF. Best if you can run the hot water at FULL on for MAX flow rate.

This allows the HWH to find the proper burner rate for maintaining temp. This is extremely counter intuitive to what one would think. Also, it's best if you can leave the shower on (with full hookups this may mean dumping daily or every other day).

The On-Demand systems in houses and RV's still have a bit of a way to go in my opinion. I have considered adding a small 2 gallon electric HWH to both our home and the RV to "SURGE" flow hot water until the heater can get up to operating temp. The house unit takes 20 seconds to elevate the water temps about 65 F.

Do note that mid day sun on the supply hose to the camper will screw with the temps of the water as the hose water gets extremely hot, then cools down rapidly as water flows from under ground.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
          X