Replacement toilet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement toilet

Will a Dometic 320 Rv toilet fit in a Reflection MKS 320? The foot pedal on the existing toilet came off and will not stay in place when put back on.

Originally posted by Kathleen Whitehead View Post
    Will a Dometic 320 Rv toilet fit in a Reflection MKS 320? The foot pedal on the existing toilet came off and will not stay in place when put back on.
    You didn't state the year of your Reflection so I guessed 2019. According to the parts lookup website (link at the top of the page) the OEM installed is a "TOILET STYLE II HI-PROFILE WHITE RETURNABLE TRAY". I pasted that phrase into google and an Amazon link to the Thetford 42058 Aqua-Magic Style II RV Toilet returned. (The picture on Amazon and on the GD parts website look identical.)

All of the dimensions for the toilet are listed on Thetford's website: https://www.thetford.com/product/aqua-magic-style-ii/

I can't say for certain if any of the following will fit, but these are the options under the Thetford listed by Amazon:

Click image for larger version

Name:	toiles.JPG
Views:	2122
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	11711

Before you replace the toilet, have you seen this video?

I hope you'll post a follow-up with what fixed your issue.

-Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

With the model number, you can order replacement parts without having to replace the entire toilet... much less expensive.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

The foot pedal on our Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II came off the other day during a flush. Some anxious moments as the water had started flowing but the ball valve hadn't opened. Examination found that sign that the leg of the return spring had been inserted in the wrong slot of the pedal (note scratches to the left of the opening that spring is suppose to go into), and that the leg was bent. First repair was to put the pedal back on with the spring leg in the proper slot. This lasted for about 6 flushes before the pedal came off again, less anxious that the first time as we had already figured out how open the ball valve. Second repair was to straighten out the bend on the leg of the return spring and now we come to the cautionary part of the story..

If you look closely at the second phot you can make out a small triangular tit of pvc on the other end of the spool that the return spring is wrapped around. This tit keeps the spring on the spool and also serves to keep the spring from uncoiling too far. It is very easy to damage this tit and impossible to replace when it is damaged. Yes, I damaged it. Yes, we ended up replacing the whole toilet. Fortunately, we were able to find a Dometric 310 that SHMBO liked within 50 miles and the replacement was quick and relatively easy, only because we did not have to make any changes to the water line. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200914Toilet Foot Pedle.jpg
Views:	2217
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	30157Click image for larger version

Name:	20200914Toilet Return Spring.jpg
Views:	2132
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	30158 .

A key dimension to consider when replacing a toilet with a different brand or make is the distance from the center of the water closet flange to the wall. The Thetford called for 9 1/2" and the Dometric called for 10" rough (which means from the studs instead of the finished wall) which was close enough not to cause a problem.

Another consideration is the location of the flush water connection on the toilets. Dometric's connection was to the left and slightly lower than the Thetford's connection and I was able to make the tie-in using the existing hose and fitting. If the Domteric's had been higher or too much lower I would have been looking at having to cut and splice the supply line to fit.

Finally, others have used a change in toilets as an opportunity to install a shut off valve. I elected not go this route. My experience with plumbing is that the less I have to change the fewer leaks I end up with. 😊
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathleen Whitehead View Post
          We installed a Dometic 320 in our 2018 320MKS, no problem at all, plug and play easy peasy task.

The critical dimension is from the center of the sewer pipe to the wall behind the toilet. The Dometic requires (IIRC) one more inch in that dimension than does the Thetford installed by the factory, so if you have an inch between the back of your Thetford and the wall you should have an easy install. We had room to spare in our 320MKS.

We moved the Dometic to our current trailer and it was tighter but no problem - the toilet is probably less than 1/8" inch from the wall but nothing is suffering from it.

If you DON'T have the required additional space behind the toilet, all may not be lost. People have described being able to unscrew the sewer pipe flange from the floor, pull it forward a little, and screw it back to the floor in the new position to increase the space behind it.

The Dometic 320 is a much nicer toilet in a handful of ways than the Thetford... I heartily recommend the change.

Good luck.
          Last edited by boyscout; 09-18-2020, 07:21 PM.
          Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

I became really frustrated with the Thetford toilet. It was very difficult to remove the foot pedal, and when I got it off, there was damage to it from the spring. It looked like it was forced on without the spring in the proper position, or maybe through use the spring wore into the pedal. In any case, I could not reassemble it. I didn't like the design of the snap on pedal, even if I got a new one, I didn't look forward to dealing with it again. I bought a Dometic 310, and I am very please with it so far. The water valve and other components are easy to reach, and I like how it operates better than the Thetford.
            Dave
            2016 Reflection 27RL
            2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
            B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Working...
            X