The Air Admittance Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Air Admittance Valve

A quick reminder that if you smell an unpleasant odor under either the kitchen or bathroom cabinets it is probably a faulty Air Admittance Valve (AAV). I'd replaced the bathroom AAV years ago and had forgotten about it when a funny odor showed up in the kitchen/living room area. The DW actually thought of AAV although she had forgotten what it was called. I pulled my spare out the parts cabinet and presto chango the job was done and the aroma disappeared almost immediately. Need to remember to put another on the shopping list.

TNFSolitude

So what happens to the old valve, is this something that goes bad , a "cheap" part that should be replaced with a better quality item?

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      TNFSolitude

So what happens to the old valve, is this something that goes bad , a "cheap" part that should be replaced with a better quality item?

Brian
      Hi Brian,

There are two common AAVs available at Home Depot or similar. The $5 one and the $25 one. Guess which one is OE to our trailers?
      A simple rubber disc stops air return when there is no negative pressure in the drain to cause the AAV to open and allow air in. Without this device, a long drop in the drain pipe could pull the water out of the drain trap creating another way for tank odors to get in to the coach. So an AAV stuck open or stuck closed could be the cause. These are easy to change without tools. Some owners have gone to the more expensive version. I just keep a spare or two in my parts bin.

Rob
      Attached Files
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I personally don't know how an AAV might go bad, but I remember years ago GD owners were changing them out left and right. It is a cheap part but I wouldn't swap one out until it fails. Keeping a spare works for most of us.

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
          ...and presto chango the job was done and the aroma disappeared almost immediately.
          Anyone have pics identifying the location of the AAV's in their RV? Are AAV's almost always accessible to an owner? Is there an AAV for each vented drain (kitchen sink, bath sink, shower)? Is there an AAV for the black tank?

-Non-plumber guy in Minnesota

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
          Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
          2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
          18k B&W Companion, non-slider
          640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
          Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
          Somerset, WI

Comment

It will be in the sink cabinet. You'll see part of the black pipe slope towards the tank, and another section goes up higher (than the p trap). At the top of that will be the AAV.

In a home, if you have access up a wall to the roof, that will be a roof vent. If you have a something like a kitchen island, they will use an AAV.
            Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
            2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
            2020 Momentum 351M
            2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Attached pictures of the location of AAVs in our 303 for the BR sink and kitchen center island. Also are pictures of the cheap black valve used years ago far left (possibly still used) and the new higher quality white color Studor valve of which I used to replace both our original valves in 2016. The smaller black AAV in the center was another cheap replacement which was the only option I could find at the time when we were camping. It failed after a few weeks. The shower does not have one as the BR sink and shower utilize the same grey tank.

Dan
              Dan & Carol
              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I have a 22MLE and had that bad smell under the sink. The original valve was on extremely tight and could not be taken off by hand. I had to remove the P-Trap and used a small strap wrench, that did the trick. Replaced it with a $6 one from Lowe’s, that was the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Anyone have pics identifying the location of the AAV's in their RV? Are AAV's almost always accessible to an owner? Is there an AAV for each vented drain (kitchen sink, bath sink, shower)? Is there an AAV for the black tank?

-Non-plumber guy in Minnesota
                  In the Reference Material channel, non-plumber guy in Minnesota. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...mittance-valve
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post

In a home, If you have a something like a kitchen island, they will use an AAV.
                    Not around here. AAV’s are not code in any situation. Loop vents in island sinks. HD still stocks them though, shows how many jobs are done without permits.

Not that that has anything to do with the AAV’s in our rv’s Just replaced mine with the studor ones last weekend. Much better built than the stock ones.

Jim & Heidi
                    2021 Solitude 375RES-r
                    2024 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW

Comment

I appreciate this forum! And, to add to the conversation, here's a pic of the one I just removed from my 2020 Imagine 2150rb... It appears to have some sort of pipe glue in it along with plastic pipe shards.

Only began to notice the odors after using our newly installed MaxxAir fans.

Has anyone any thoughts on whether I should go with the more expensive version because of the suction created by the MaxxAir vent?
                      Charlie, Allie and Clyde (5 y/o Black Lab)
                      2020 Imagine 2150rb and
                      2020 Ford F250 w/ 7.3L (Godzila) Engine
                      --- Previous ---
                      2016 GMC Canyon with K&N Cold Air Intake, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Diablo Sport Octane 87 tune, and Roadmaster Active Suspension

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

In the Reference Material channel, non-plumber guy in Minnesota. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...mittance-valve
                        Don't know how I missed this link. But I'm leaning towards the Studor Mini Vent. Seems like a can't go wrong solution.
                        2020 Imagine 2150rb and
                        --- Previous ---
                        2016 GMC Canyon with K&N Cold Air Intake, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Diablo Sport Octane 87 tune, and Roadmaster Active Suspension

Comment

Looks like GD threads on the AAV ahead of glueing pipes. Makes sense because the valves are a pain to get to.
                          Mike & Lisa
                          Central Florida
                          2021 Imagine 2970RL
                          1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Originally posted by Bones1078 View Post
                            I appreciate this forum! And, to add to the conversation, here's a pic of the one I just removed from my 2020 Imagine 2150rb... It appears to have some sort of pipe glue in it along with plastic pipe shards.

Only began to notice the odors after using our newly installed MaxxAir fans.

Has anyone any thoughts on whether I should go with the more expensive version because of the suction created by the MaxxAir vent?
                            We replaced our factory AAVs in 2016 after the smell issues began. I first replaced both with cheaper AAVs and they failed after a short time. I then replaced with quality Studor AAVs and all good even to this date.

Dan
                            Dan & Carol
                            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

We replaced our factory AAVs in 2016 after the smell issues began. I first replaced both with cheaper AAVs and they failed after a short time. I then replaced with quality Studor AAVs and all good even to this date.

Dan
                              Thanks for this insight! I'll skip the cheap-o version. 😜
                              2020 Imagine 2150rb and
                              --- Previous ---

Comment

Working...
                              X