MY 2020 2250RK rear grey tank sensor dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY 2020 2250RK rear grey tank sensor dilemma

Although I’m fairly familiar with how liquid sensor levels work, here is the dilemma: my rear (kitchen sink) #1 GRY label on the control panel constantly shows two red lights, never one, three, or four. I understand that that the black tank has a much higher potential to cover/stick objects to the sensors and return an incorrect reading, however, it seems to me that other than the occasional small piece of food that may sneak down the Kitchen sink, the vast majority of product that goes down the drain is nothing more than soapy water. This being the case, I would THINK that it SHOULD be much more difficult for a gray tank sensor to read inaccurate than a black tank. My bathroom shower/sink gray tank reads accurate.

So, I tried to fill my rear gray tank all the way up to hopefully ‘wash/flush’ away anything stuck to the guilty sensor(s). No matter how much water I sent down the sink, the light response remained on two and it occurred to me that maybe I should not continue to fill for fear of causing an overflow or damage of some sort.

My question is, short of buying an indicator that attaches to a garden hose and shows how many gallons have passed out the hose, what is the best way I can tell that I’m approaching the max 45 gal capacity without risking any damage? Will the ‘overflow’ just back up into the sink? If so, is there a risk that waiting for even that to happen could cause damage?
    Any and all recommendations, suggestions, and tips are much appreciated.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Schiefswret
    The tank level sensors/lights are notoriously inaccurate. I tried to sort this out for the first two years of ownership. Finally decided that pushing that "tank level" button only to get a wrong reading was a stress that I didn't need in my life. Haven't pushed any of those buttons in over two years. I considered installing the much more accurate system that relies on sensor strips attached to the outside of the tanks . . . but, have gotten quite used to managing tank status without gauges.

There is no problem with filling the grey tanks (or the black tank for that matter) until it backs up the drain. This will not cause any damage. We have learned to come close to full on the black tank without complete fill, by sound when flushing. We regularly fill either grey to where the kitchen sink or shower pan won't drain. After many months of "snowbird full time" we have gotten very good at managing tank capacity without ever looking at the (won't be correct) gauges.

As discussed on another thread, it is worth using the garden hose meter to fully understand exactly how much usable capacity you have on each tank.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Schiefswret
      The tank level sensors/lights are notoriously inaccurate. I tried to sort this out for the first two years of ownership. Finally decided that pushing that "tank level" button only to get a wrong reading was a stress that I didn't need in my life. Haven't pushed any of those buttons in over two years. I considered installing the much more accurate system that relies on sensor strips attached to the outside of the tanks . . . but, have gotten quite used to managing tank status without gauges.

There is no problem with filling the grey tanks (or the black tank for that matter) until it backs up the drain. This will not cause any damage. We have learned to come close to full on the black tank without complete fill, by sound when flushing. We regularly fill either grey to where the kitchen sink or shower pan won't drain. After many months of "snowbird full time" we have gotten very good at managing tank capacity without ever looking at the (won't be correct) gauges.

As discussed on another thread, it is worth using the garden hose meter to fully understand exactly how much usable capacity you have on each tank.

Rob
      Thanks Rob, I appreciate your response.
      Dave and Sue
      2020 GD 2250RK
      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
        My question is, short of buying an indicator that attaches to a garden hose and shows how many gallons have passed out the hose, what is the best way I can tell that I’m approaching the max 45 gal capacity without risking any damage? Will the ‘overflow’ just back up into the sink? If so, is there a risk that waiting for even that to happen could cause damage?
        Any and all recommendations, suggestions, and tips are much appreciated.
        There is always the old fill a bucket and see how much time that takes. Our current location takes about 20 seconds to fill a gallon bucket, so we let the hose run for about 5 to 6 minutes to get a good fill on the tank without backing up into the sink.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post

There is always the old fill a bucket and see how much time that takes. Our current location takes about 20 seconds to fill a gallon bucket, so we let the hose run for about 5 to 6 minutes to get a good fill on the tank without backing up into the sink.
          Gotcha, thanks john.
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Working...
          X