Toilet continues to flush when release pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet continues to flush when release pedal

This is an intermittent problem, that started on our winter trip. Occasionally the toilet continues to flush when the pedal is released. I know it is normal to leave a little water in the bottom of the bowl, but these events are leaving more water. A couple times I had to "wiggle" pedal to make the flow stop. One time I turned off the water pump. When I turned it back on, no more water came out. One time we didn't notice it kept running, and it literally filled the bowl (ask my wife how she knows), I'm not sure what caused it to stop, but I'm glad it did.

It is a Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II toilet. Is there a valve that needs lubrication, or replacement? It is not clear how to get the pedal off and get to any mechanisms that operate the flush. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

There is a valve in the assembly where the foot pedal rotates. There are O-rings that, if the valve wasn't put together with enough lubricant, could be sticking. The valve is also replaceable and can be ordered on Amazon or purchased at many local RV service/parts centers. You can search YouTube to find a video on how to do the disassembly and replacement.

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

https://www.thetford.com/product/aqua-magic-style-ii/

Take a look here and search your problem. (somewhere on your toilet there should be a model and serial # tag). You will need to pull the toilet to get to the linkages. Could be a weak spring or tight connection hanging up. In the past, Thetford has had good customer service when I needed them.

Good luck
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Been there, got Toilet Kit.

On the Thetford site is a good video on how to replace the valve. Essentially, there is a little rubber grommet in the valve that is held in place by a spring. Over time the grommet wears or the spring weakens. This allows water to pass, so the toilet does not shut off. We experienced it first in low water pressure conditions. Wiggle the handle and it would stop. Pull up on the handle and it would stop. Eventually it didn't stop. Tell the wife if the toilet bowl appears to be overflowing to just flush it. Mine came tearing down the steps with her pants in her hands screaming the toilet is overflowing, the toilet is overflowing. Try to avoid that.

It's not a bad job. I finally relented and took the toilet up to fix it. Not sure I will have to the next time I fix one, probably. That's why they include a base seal in the kit. The hardest part was getting the handle to line up again. It just press snap on, but getting it aligned was tough. You have to be careful which hole the spring goes into. Look for a little arrow.

Double check the model, I linked the kit I bought, make sure it fits yours.
        2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

d2reid Yoda Second Chance Thank you all for the information. I ordered the valve replacement kit.
          2016 Reflection 27RL
          2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
          B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Working...
          X