Cautious Black Tank Flush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cautious Black Tank Flush

We recently bought a Reflection 337FPS and cannot flush the black tank using the instructions in the owners guide. I did take the RV to a dealer for warranty service and was told it only had a "stuck check valve". I am unfortunately in self quarantine for the COVID-19 virus, but found the same issue this morning. I am leaving the settings for "City Water" as listed on of 120 and connect waste hose to black tank inlet, but no water enters the tank. Right now I can only flush the tank by pushing a cut hose and down the toilet. Am I doing something incorrectly? Thanks for helping this newcomer.

Originally posted by Fulltimers View Post
    We recently bought a Reflection 337FPS and cannot flush the black tank using the instructions in the owners guide. I did take the RV to a dealer for warranty service and was told it only had a "stuck check valve". I am unfortunately in self quarantine for the COVID-19 virus, but found the same issue this morning. I am leaving the settings for "City Water" as listed on of 120 and connect waste hose to black tank inlet, but no water enters the tank. Right now I can only flush the tank by pushing a cut hose and down the toilet. Am I doing something incorrectly? Thanks for helping this newcomer.
    The Nautilus panel settings have nothing whatsoever to do with the black tank flush system. They are completely independent and isolated from each other.

From the black tank flush system hose connection point there is a water line that goes up into the camper (usually behind the shower?). That line connects to a one-way valve. From there the water line goes down to the black tank flush spray mechanism.

The purpose of the valve and the routing of the water lines is, obviously, to ensure that water travels in one direction--into the black tank, not out.

I *think* the valve in the black tank flush system is called a Hepvo valve. Someone with more knowledge than I (paging Cate&Rob) will confirm what it is. (What year is your 337RLS? A 2020?)

Edit: Dang--wrong again! Thanks for your expertise (and diagram) Rob.
    Last edited by howson; 03-21-2020, 05:26 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Just to confirm that you have checked your hose and water is coming out? If you do have water I would bet you still have a stuck check valve....when you can finally get out just replace it, and keep a spare!
      Keith and Diane
      2014 Reflection 337 RLS
      2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Fulltimers View Post
        Does your water supply have pretty good pressure? IIRC the flush system needs about 40 psi water pressure to work.
        Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Fulltimers
          Welcome to our owners technical forum BTW!

To confirm, the black tank flush is completely independent from the Nautilus water distribution system. The valve referenced by Howard (howson) is not part of the black tank flush system. There is one valve in the black tank flush. This is the vacuum break (see attached diagram). If it were stuck "shut" water would still flow to the black tank. If it were stuck "open" flush water would be leaking out and would quickly be noticed on the floor inside the RV. The plumbing lines connecting this system are a black color soft braided hose. The most likely cause of the problem that you describe is a kink in this hose. The other possible problem is debris plugging the spray nozzle in the black tank.

Tracing the black hose lines from water inlet to vacuum break to black tank spray nozzle (looking for a kinked hose) would be the first thing to do.

Rob
          Attached Files
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the explanation and diagram. I’ll check this out for a line stoppage. Also, this is a 2020 model and I do have 45psi service.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              Fulltimers
              Welcome to our owners technical forum BTW!

To confirm, the black tank flush is completely independent from the Nautilus water distribution system. The valve referenced by Howard (howson) is not part of the black tank flush system. There is one valve in the black tank flush. This is the vacuum break (see attached diagram). If it were stuck "shut" water would still flow to the black tank. If it were stuck "open" flush water would be leaking out and would quickly be noticed on the floor inside the RV. The plumbing lines connecting this system are a black color soft braided hose. The most likely cause of the problem that you describe is a kink in this hose. The other possible problem is debris plugging the spray nozzle in the black tank.

Tracing the black hose lines from water inlet to vacuum break to black tank spray nozzle (looking for a kinked hose) would be the first thing to do.

Rob
              Where is that valve in the Parts Lookup, Rob. Any idea? I looked in the likely spot (Plumbing) but I couldn't find it. It was easy to find an image in Google that matches your diagram but not in GD Parts Lookup.

Finally, are all check valves the same in GD products that have a Black Tank Flush?
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Where is that valve in the Parts Lookup, Rob. Any idea? I looked in the likely spot (Plumbing) but I couldn't find it. It was easy to find an image in Google that matches your diagram but not in GD Parts Lookup.

Finally, are all check valves the same in GD products that have a Black Tank Flush?
                Hi Howard,

I also did some searching and have no explanation for why this vacuum break does not show up on the 2020 Reflection 337RLS parts list (or any other similar model list). Based on many past conversations and assembly plant tours, I know that all Grand Design products use this vacuum break valve on the black tank flush.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

GDRV-Megan -- can you have the parts folks look into why the black tank flush vacuum breaker/check valve isn't listed in the Parts Lookup website? (See post 5 for Rob's diagram.)

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    GDRV-Megan -- can you have the parts folks look into why the black tank flush vacuum breaker/check valve isn't listed in the Parts Lookup website? (See post 5 for Rob's diagram.)
                    For whatever reason, this item is not showing up in this unit's bill of material (BOM). If it is not in the BOM, then it doesn't make it to the parts look up on our website. If you're ever looking for an item that is not showing in the parts lookup online, please just send an email to our parts department at parts@granddesignrv.com. They are very prompt with their replies. I have already sent them an email though in order to get the correct part number for this valve.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	360016.png
Views:	4711
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	15507 This is item number 360016. The reason why it wasn't showing up in the parts look up because it is part of the Nautilus system. Parts of parts have to be set up by our vendors and individually uploaded into our catalog.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I have looked as deeply as I can to follow the water line and find no crimping. As this unit is new I’ll take it back to the local dealer for warranty repair.

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

Name:	360016.png
Views:	4711
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	15507 This is item number 360016. The reason why it wasn't showing up in the parts look up because it is part of the Nautilus system. Parts of parts have to be set up by our vendors and individually uploaded into our catalog.
                          megan
                          Where is the vacuum break / air gap located on at 2021 Reflection 28BH?
                          Thanks
                          matt

Comment

Originally posted by mattbfarmer View Post

megan
                            Thanks
                            matt
                            It should be behind the shower controls. That’s where mine is in an earlier model 28bh. I can’t believe they’ve changed it.

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by mattbfarmer View Post
                              A picture of what Neil wrote:

Name:	Flush.JPG
Views:	3727
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	47719

Comment

Working...
                              X