No announcement yet.

Cautious Black Tank Flush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can testify....if the vacuum breaker check valve is stuck open, you will certainly know it within a few seconds.

In the Momentum 21G it is located under the bathroom sink with the sink plumbing. As was mentioned before, it have black flex plumbing.
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
      I can testify....if the vacuum breaker check valve is stuck open, you will certainly know it within a few seconds.

In the Momentum 21G it is located under the bathroom sink with the sink plumbing. As was mentioned before, it have black flex plumbing.
      That's surprising. Normally an AAV is under a sink, not the black flush vacuum valve. Your 21G is the first trailer where an owner has found the vacuum valve that low.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I wasn't able to find a phot of the roof of a 21G but I'm willing to bet that if acoleman43 takes a look at his he'll find a black cap in the area of the bathroom. This will be the vent from the black tank to the outside.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

That's surprising. Normally an AAV is under a sink, not the black flush vacuum valve. Your 21G is the first trailer where an owner has found the vacuum valve that low.
          Attached pictures of check valve location. Good news is it is very easy to access and replace.

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
          I wasn't able to find a phot of the roof of a 21G but I'm willing to bet that if acoleman43 takes a look at his he'll find a black cap in the area of the bathroom. This will be the vent from the black tank to the outside.
          You are correct, the vent is in the wall between the bathroom and entertainment center.
          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

We had this same problem with our Solitude. Turned out that the black flush line had 2 kinks in it from the factory.
            We had ours fixed under warranty. I have also heard of cases where the vacuum breaker valve was installed backwards.
            -Rob-
            -
            Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
            2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
            2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
            Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

I should have been more concise. On a black tank there will be a vent that penetrates through the roof for release of gasses that may build up in the tank to the outside. Sinks, showers, fixtures with a P-trap will have a vacuum relief valve (What Howard notes as an AAV) regardless of whether they tie into the black or gray tank. The purpose of this valve is to prevent a vacuum from forming in the drain line that will suck the water from the P-trap. The AAV should be closed unless there is a vacuum in the line.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Hello everyone
                My name is Ryan
                I have a 2020 reflection 28bh
                my black tank has been being weird. When I flush the toilet it is like there is pressure in the tank. It will almost burp when we flush.
                it also smells in the tank lately.
                I use the proper stuff in the tank. I also clean the tank with the flusher every time I dump.
                any thoughts on what it could be

Comment

Rwb09
                  Hi Ryan,

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

The problem that you describe might be coming from a nearly full tank or from a mound of "solids" right where the pipe from the toilet goes into the tank. The best way to avoid this is to pre-fill the black tank with about 10 gallons of water after dumping and flushing. The best way to do this is to use a garden hose flow meter on the hose to the flush attachment, so that you know exactly how much water you are putting back into the tank.. This will provide a pool of water for the solids to drop into and they will be more likely to dissolve. Using this method means that you may not have to add any other soaps or chemicals to the tank.

The best way to break up the mound (some call it the "dreaded pyramid") is to use a hand-held flush wand down through the toilet.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rwb09 Ryan, Welcome to the Family and the forum!
                    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                    Nash County, NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I'll add to Cate&Rob excellent list to make sure to use plenty of water (fill the bowel) when flushing solids to help prevent the dreaded pyramid and to make sure there will plenty of liquid to carry away the solids when the tank is dumped.
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Does your water supply have pretty good pressure? IIRC the flush system needs about 40 psi water pressure to work.
                        The minimum pressure brings to mind the question should I be using a pressure regulator when flushing the black tank? What should be the maximum pressure for the blank tank flush?
                        2022 Reflection 280 RS
                        2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

Originally posted by BR549 View Post

The minimum pressure brings to mind the question should I be using a pressure regulator when flushing the black tank? What should be the maximum pressure for the blank tank flush?
                          In the Nautilus P1 manual there's a minimum PSI (40) but nothing about a maximum. Reference from https://www.bandbmolders.com/wp-cont...structions.pdf

Howard
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have never used my PRV when flushing my black tanks.
                            John
                            2018 Momentum 395M
                            2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

No you do not need a pressure regulator when flushing the black tank. This is because this line never sees a build up of pressure. Basically its like putting your hose in a bucket of water... extra pressure at the faucet just increases the flow. There is no back pressure into the hose or connections. It's your fresh water plumbing that needs a regulator to prevent high camp faucet pressure from damaging your plumbing.
                              Earl
                              2022 Imagine 22RBE
                              2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee (5.7L V-8 MDS VVT)
                              Anderson 3350 WDH w/ Redarc TowPro EBRH-ACCV3

Comment

Working...
                              X