What do I Do With this Kinked Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I Do With this Kinked Hose

Our new Imagine xls 18RBE has a badly kinked hose, and possibly a leak near the hot water heater under the bathroom sink. I intend to have the dealer handle it because its in such a highly hard to get to place. This appears to be the pipe that feeds cold water to the water heater and the outside hose fitting behind it. But I got to ask, why is GD using a hose here and not 2 blue PEX pipes with an elbow? There is no way any hose or PEX I know of could make that bend:

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20200323_201917.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	15192
    Attached Files

Dadeo6472
    You are absolutely correct that this kinked soft hose should be Pex with an elbow. Several of us on this forum have been down similar paths. Grand Design has been made aware of our previous similar problems, but they choose to build with the soft hose which meets RVIA requirements. The problem is really the self policing RV industry association that allows this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The soft hose has been used by GDRV and other manufacturers for years because it's easier and less expensive to install vs. PEX. But it is very problematic and has resulted in many leaks. I haven't seen too many kinks like this, but now we can add yours to the list of issues. I'm wondering if you can talk your dealer into replacing it with PEX when they do the repair?

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I called the dealer on Friday morning on our way home from Tennessee. On Saturday, after a bit of discussion, the dealer got rid of the kink by cutting the hose and installing an ellbow. I will keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't leak again.

It was a weird conversation. The head of service kept trying to tell me that the reason the hot water pressure was low was because there was too much air in the hot water tank. I kept telling him there was air in the tank because I drained as much water out of the water system as I could to prevent freezing Friday night. Finally I got kind of indignent. I reminded him that the salesman and I had discussed the kinked hose when I first looked over the trailer a week before we came back for the pre delivery inspection. The salesman and I both noted that the hose was no longer kinked during the PDI -- it appeared to have been repaired, so we didn't note it as a PDI issue. Repair guy called the salesman. I got to say that the salesman backed me up all the way, saying he remembered the same as I, that the kink should be fixed. And it was.

Comment

Working...
        X