• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking water heater

Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater plug.jpeg
Views:	2176
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	15257I have a 2019 Imagine 2600RB (bought it new two months ago), today I came home to a leaking water heater. The leak was coming from the lower left corner of the unit; I think it is the drain plug, but with a new unit I wasn't sure. Is this a common problem with these water heaters and where can I get a replacement plug?
    Last edited by usnmustang00; 03-24-2020, 09:27 PM.

usnmustang00
    Welcome to our owners technical forum.

A leak from the lower left (outside facing the water heater) is quite possibly the drain plug. Some more information will help. What brand of water heater do you have? Is the plug plastic or metal? A replacement plug should be available at any RV dealer or parts retailer. My guess is a stripped or cracked plastic Atwood/Dometic drain plug . . . if you can post a picture, we can confirm this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I added a picture to my original post.

Comment

Originally posted by usnmustang00 View Post
        Yes I believe that your drain plug is leaking. It looks like it is inserted pretty far. I would get a new plug , always good to have an extra one , as well as some white Teflon tape. Remove the old plug and if it is in good shape add a wrap or two of the Teflon tape and re-install. If you do not like the looks of the old plug install the new one the same way. These plugs are plastic so you have to be careful on how tight they get installed , hard to explain how tight. Also an important note , before removing the old plug make sure the heater is turned off , gas and electric , turn on a hot water spigot in the RV and run this until water is cold , this will ensure that you do not get blasted with hot water when you remove the plug. Also make sure your city water or pump is turned off , I have learned this once. When you have the plug removed you can open the pressure relief valve on the water heater , should be above the plug generally , brass item with silver handle. This will allow the tank to drain.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

That drain plug looks like it's been buggered up a bit. I would replace it. 15/16 wrench is needed so you don't have to use pliers. A direct replacement plastic plug can be found at any big box hardware store. Some people have replaced that plug with a valve and hose setup to make draining the hot water heater easier. A few different thread on here showing that.
          Charles and Susan
          2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
          Andersen Hitch
          2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Using a 15/16" socket and extension makes installation and removal easy and quick. I have not considered using a wrench but that seems challenging and time consuming with the small space to work in.

We install and remove our plug after each trip if the RV is going to sit more than a few days/week. We used the original plug for 6 years. Last year I installed a new plug using Teflon tape (as we always have) as Brain suggested.

Having an extra plug on hand is a wise move just in case you crack one by tightening too tightly. I have not done this but others have reported this happening over the years. The plugs often are sold in two/pack and are not costly.

Dan
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by usnmustang00 View Post
              Fairly obvious that the "technician" who put that plug in did not have the right tool . Good advice above, from others on this thread.

Additional info that may become useful . . . the plastic plug identifies that you have an Atwood/Dometic water heater with an aluminum tank. This is why the plug is plastic, to prevent galvanic corrosion. The other common water heater is a Suburban. It has a metal drain plug with a long anode attached to the inside to prevent corrosion to its steel tank. You want to stick with the plastic plug, as the anode version may cause corrosion problems with your aluminum tank.

Many years ago, I made up an extension drain plug for my Atwood water heater. I used a plastic adapter into the tank to isolate the brass drain valve from the aluminum tank. This valve continues to work well. (see attached picture)

Rob
              Attached Files
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                Many years ago, I made up an extension drain plug for my Atwood water heater. I used a plastic adapter into the tank to isolate the brass drain valve from the aluminum tank. This valve continues to work well. (see attached picture) Rob
                Still awaiting Dr. Rob's design for a simple drain system like that for Suburban water heaters.

Could we Suburban heater owners just hurl a couple of cathode rods into the tank and then use the valve you designed?
                Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Still awaiting Dr. Rob's design for a simple drain system like that for Suburban water heaters.

Could we Suburban heater owners just hurl a couple of cathode rods into the tank and then use the valve you designed?
                  No need, Mark. Try the following:

1) Turn off your water source (city or pump).

2) Open the COLD water low point drain.

3) Open the T&P valve on the hot water heater.

The hot water should come pouring out the bottom of the camper through the cold water low point drain. At least it does on my 315RLTS. I don't see why it won't work on every unit. Air in > water out courtesy of Sir Isaac Newton.

Put a 1/4 turn valve on the cold water low point drain and the process is really easy.

I put valves on all the drain lines...

Name:	valves.JPG
Views:	1474
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	15319
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

No need, Mark. Try the following:

1) Turn off your water source (city or pump).

2) Open the COLD water low point drain.

3) Open the T&P valve on the hot water heater.

The hot water should come pouring out the bottom of the camper through the cold water low point drain. At least it does on my 315RLTS. I don't see why it won't work on every unit. Air in > water out courtesy of Sir Isaac Newton.

Put a 1/4 turn valve on the cold water low point drain and the process is really easy.

I put valves on all the drain lines...

Name:	valves.JPG
Views:	1474
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	15319
                    That seems to not work on our Reflection fifth wheel. I think it works on your because you have the washer/dryer setup inside and the plumbing is a little different. May work on others but not on mine.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

That seems to not work on our Reflection fifth wheel. I think it works on your because you have the washer/dryer setup inside and the plumbing is a little different. May work on others but not on mine.

Brian
                      Did you ever try the cold drain line? From memory I thought when you tried this you opened the hot water line. I don't see how it would make a difference whether it's a 5vr or TT as the low point should be the low point.

You're buying the beer next time we get together if I open up that line and hot water comes pouring out of your trailer. If I'm wrong--beer is on me. Given my plumbing knowledge, I'll have the credit card warmed up and ready to go.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for all of your recommendations, I replaced the plug with a new one wrapped with plumbers tape and the problem is fixed. I guess the guy at the plant was having a bad day when he got to my water heater.

Comment

Working...
                        X