Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to relieve pressure in system before moving valves on new Nautilus panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to relieve pressure in system before moving valves on new Nautilus panel?

I've done searches and haven't found anything on this topic. Our experience with the old Anderson Brass fresh water valve on our Reflection taught us (the hard way) that, unless you depressurize the fresh water system before rotating the valve, you are at high risk for loosing an O-ring and rendering the valve useless. It's also best to always rotate the valve slowing clockwise and the valve needs to be lubed at least once a year with a good silicone plumbing lubricant. None of this was in the Anderson manual nor the manual that came with the Reflection - of course.

I don't know how the innards of the valves on the Nautilus panel are designed or put together. From this knowledge vacuum and innate paranoia comes my question: is it necessary to depressurize the system before changing the valves on the Nautilus panel - i.e. when changing from city water to dry camping or vice versa?

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rob

I have exercised this since new , relieve pressure then change valve position. I am not sure if it is needed but that is what I do. Last year we were at a campground that lost power. We were hooked to city water with water in the fresh tank. I did relieve pressure before switching to pump pressure. I have removed the valves on a Nautilus panel to see what they are , I have a spare panel here. They are plastic molded with all parts inside the plastic. I do not see a way to service these valves or for a way to lose an o-ring but not saying that it can not happen. The Nautilus panel is nice but I think a 1 or 2 valve setup would be just as good.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
      I've done searches and haven't found anything on this topic. Our experience with the old Anderson Brass fresh water valve on our Reflection taught us (the hard way) that, unless you depressurize the fresh water system before rotating the valve, you are at high risk for loosing an O-ring and rendering the valve useless. It's also best to always rotate the valve slowing clockwise and the valve needs to be lubed at least once a year with a good silicone plumbing lubricant. None of this was in the Anderson manual nor the manual that came with the Reflection - of course.

I don't know how the innards of the valves on the Nautilus panel are designed or put together. From this knowledge vacuum and innate paranoia comes my question: is it necessary to depressurize the system before changing the valves on the Nautilus panel - i.e. when changing from city water to dry camping or vice versa?

Rob
      I'm with Brian--I always relieve pressure before changing a valve setting. Probably because of all the info I read on the Kantleak when I was new to all of this.

I've never done any nor do am I aware of any preventative maintenance recommended for the panel.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Some people have had issues with the valves on the Nautilus panel and I have read it suggested the best way to get good life out of them is to relieve the pressure otherwise they start to leak and cannot be serviced.

Rob
        Rob & Barb
        2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
        2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Thanks, everyone - I'll keep doing what I've been doing, then.

"Another" Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

This message on the front of the Nautilus panel always freaked me out. I never understood what it meant but I always relieved the pressure on the system before moving any levers on the panel

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 3.01.43 PM.png
Views:	457
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	15377
            Brian & Kellie
            2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
            2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
            2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
              This message on the front of the Nautilus panel always freaked me out. I never understood what it meant but I always relieved the pressure on the system before moving any levers on the panel

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 3.01.43 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	15377
              That just applies to the check valve on the city water inlet - another place in which you should not stick your finger...

Rob
              Rob & Laura
              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

My manual says to turn off city water before turning the valve to fresh water fill. That doesn't really relieve the full pressure but I imagine it does reduce the pressure.

I have a small valve between the hose and the Nautilus panel. I put that there so I could easily turn off city water if I ever wasn't in the TT. That way if something starts to leak when I'm gone only a finite amount of water will leak.

I have used that valve the few times I've switched from city to fresh fill. Haven't had my TT long enough to know if that valve is good enough not to blow an o-ring out I'm going with it for now.

Charles and Susan
                2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                Andersen Hitch
                2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

I've read numerous inputs that it's advisable to release pressure first, so that's my practice and so far no issues. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                  GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                  SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Working...
                  X