Leak behind shower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak behind shower

So I'm opening my 2019 Reflection 315 RLTS for the season today and guess what...a leak. I hooked up the hose, turned it on and immediately hear water running but all the faucets are closed. The water ran for less then 15 seconds but before I could turn it off, water was leaking out the coroplast.

I went inside and at first didn't see anything so I went into the bedroom and pulled the drawers out of the closet so I could see where the water heater is and water is dripping from between the wall where the shower valve is located.

This isn't my first trailer and I followed the winterization steps very thoroughly so I'm stumped.

Any ideas? Could the valve have gone bad?

General RV, which is the selling dealer in Michigan is closed due to the Covid 19 pandemic.
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Originally posted by BC315RLTS View Post
    So I'm opening my 2019 Reflection 315 RLTS for the season today and guess what...a leak. I hooked up the hose, turned it on and immediately hear water running but all the faucets are closed. The water ran for less then 15 seconds but before I could turn it off, water was leaking out the coroplast.

I went inside and at first didn't see anything so I went into the bedroom and pulled the drawers out of the closet so I could see where the water heater is and water is dripping from between the wall where the shower valve is located.

This isn't my first trailer and I followed the winterization steps very thoroughly so I'm stumped.

Any ideas? Could the valve have gone bad?

General RV, which is the selling dealer in Michigan is closed due to the Covid 19 pandemic.
    Cate&Rob is better at this than me...but it looks like from the Water Supply Plan drawing that there's a 1/2" check valve coming from the hot side of the water heater. Unless there's a split in an actual line or fitting, that's where I'd look.

*Maybe* if you turn the hot water bypass valve (the red one on the Nautilus Panel) to "off", isolating the hot water system from getting water, and try again? If there's no leak you'll know for sure it's in the hot water line. If not, it will be somewhere in the cold water lines.
    Last edited by howson; 04-03-2020, 02:22 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Cate&Rob is better at this than me...but it looks like from the Water Supply Plan drawing that there's a 1/2" check valve coming from the hot side of the water heater. Unless there's a split in an actual line or fitting, that's where I'd look.

*Maybe* if you turn the hot water bypass valve (the red one on the Nautilus Panel) to "off", isolating the hot water system from getting water, and try again? If there's no leak you'll know for sure it's in the hot water line. If not, it will be somewhere in the cold water lines.
      Thanks Howard, the water heater was still in bypass. I try to clean out all of the antifreeze before starting to fill the water heater. I'll see if Rob has any additional thoughts.

Jay
      2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Thanks Howard, the water heater was still in bypass. I try to clean out all of the antifreeze before starting to fill the water heater. I'll see if Rob has any additional thoughts.

Jay
        Probably not much help, but if you send GDRV-Megan your VIN (or put it in your profile) she can send you a WATER SUPPLY PLAN. Again, I'm not sure it's going to be very useful but just in case--can't hurt to have more info.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

On most of these units, there is a vacuum breaker in the space behind the shower faucet. The vacuum breaker is for the toilet flush line, but has to be above the highest fresh water point in the RV - in most cases the shower faucet. These vacuum breakers fail from time to time. We had it happen to us and it flooded the basement of our Reflection fifth wheel an the water ran out the bottom of the trailer.

Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

BC315RLTS
            Hi Jay,

Since this leak is major, it should be fairly easy to find. Open up your access panels and have someone else turn the water on (and off) while you search. I’m not really familiar with the 315 layout, but is this possibly from the back of the shower faucets?

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
              On most of these units, there is a vacuum breaker in the space behind the shower faucet. The vacuum breaker is for the toilet flush line, but has to be above the highest fresh water point in the RV - in most cases the shower faucet. These vacuum breakers fail from time to time. We had it happen to us and it flooded the basement of our Reflection fifth wheel an the water ran out the bottom of the trailer.

Rob
              The vacuum break would be a possible source, only if you were flushing the black tank when the leak happened.

(another) Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

The vacuum break would be a possible source, only if you were flushing the black tank when the leak happened.

(another) Rob
                Opps! Hadn't thought of that.

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

There isn't access up to the shower faucet level but I can remove the valve from the front in the shower and possible see where the leak is. Hopefully it is in the valve itself and not the pex line. It would be a much easier fix. I'll let you know what I find.
                  2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Too bad General RV is not open to help you. If this is the Wixom facility they have been great in correcting my issues. Wonderful folks over there. There may be threaded fittings at the back of the faucet where this hopefully will be a quick fix.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Faucets/.../PF213324.html

Jim

Comment

There isn't access up to the shower faucet level but I can remove the valve from the front in the shower and possible see where the leak is. Hopefully it is in the valve itself and not the pex line. It would be a much easier fix. I'll let you know what I find.
                      The connections to the faucet assembly are hand tightened nuts . . . it could be as simple as this.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It was a lot of water in just a few seconds. We shall see.
                        2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

It was a lot of water in just a few seconds. We shall see.
                          Ill bet a cup of coffee with Rob. Its probably one of the connection at the faucet. They are compression fittings (internal cone washer) and I had one break - retaining clip failed and hose pulled out of fitting. You can get a much better brass replacement at HD (brass fitting section) along with the proper clamp for pex - easy fix.

Please let us know what you find.

PS if it is the fitting that failed, replace both.
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

So apparently it's been a long, very long winter. It is the vacuum break valve that has gone bad, and is pretty easy to repair. I've ordered a new one that will arrive late next week.

The real issue would be me not paying attention and trying to de-winterize the fresh water system by hooking the hose up to the black tank flush, don't I feel a little stupid.

Either way I would have had to remove the shower valves to gain access to the vacuum break. At least now I know what the issue is and can get things back no normal in short order.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
                            2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

(another) Rob
                              I'm adding "psychic" to your list of superpowers, Rob. Sheesh! (Good call.)
                              Last edited by howson; 04-04-2020, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X