Low water pressure on city water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low water pressure on city water

Good afternoon, I have a 2019 351M. I have been living full time for almost a year and noticed about 3 or 4 months ago I have little to no water inside when hooked up to city water. Water pressure coming out of the spigot is 42 psi, screen at the city inlet vavle is clean, water filter is new. When I am set up for "dry camping" with water pump everything works great, any thoughts on what it might be? I am thinking it's the city water inlet check valve. Thank you for your suggestions

Does anyone know if a pressure regulator is necessary when city connected?

Comment

Its been my experience only if you are in a area with high or irregular pressure. I bought an adjustable water pressure regulator thinking I could increase pressure coming out of the spigot but no luck

Comment

There are two parts to "perceived low water pressure". One is the static pressure (no flow) and the other is the drop in pressure when a faucet is opened (flow restriction). The best way to sort this out is to install an inexpensive water pressure gauge within your RV water system. Not just the one on the water hose or out on the post.

If you have low static pressure (less than 30 psi with no flow) this is a problem with the park water supply. Nothing much that you can do about this except to fill your tank and use the on-board pump).

If you have reasonable static water pressure (40 to 50 psi) but this drops quickly (to 20 psi or less) when you open a faucet, you have excessive flow restriction in the supply hose or fittings. This can be sorted out. The gauge at the post (if you have one) may still show good supply pressure because the restriction is downstream of that gauge.

As I have posted (a few times in the past) a $10 pressure gauge T'd anywhere into a cold water (usually blue Pex) line within the RV will tell you lots of things about your water pressure system, both city and on-board pump. See attached picture for where I put mine.

Rob
        Attached Files
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Configuration of my set up is a little different, current gauge/ pressure regulator is located on the spigot and dramatic drop in pressure when turned on faucets, I think the problem might be in the check vavle but asking before I start changing out stuff that I don't need to, static water pressure is 42 psi. I saw somewhere that you might be able to adjust ty he back pressure on the check vavle and That mi ffg hit fix the issue but not sure how or if I want to do that. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Dustyniel

If your pressure gauge drops dramatically when a faucet is opened, this would indicate that the restriction to flow is upstream from the gauge location (not downstream at the inlet check valve). If the inlet check valve were a major restriction, this would hold pressure at the gauge. What is upstream of the gauge that could be a restriction? The pressure regulator? Quick connect fittings? Filter? Backflow preventer on the park faucet?

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Dustyniel

Here are a few things to try to eliminate some problem areas.

Turn off water at the post.
              Un-hook water at the RV panel.
              Hold hose in a safe direction (this is important so you do not get wet).
              Turn on hose at the post and observe flow from open end of hose and pressure at the gauge on the spigot.

If same symptoms occur...
              Turn off water spigot at post.
              Remove all attachments from spigot.
              Turn on spigot (stand clear again).
              Observe flow.

If good flow then add each attachment while checking flow for each. While the attachments are off check for any debris before installing.
              If flow is not good then there is an issue on the post side.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you for sharing, gauge is at the spigot on a military installation and do not have access to anything past the spigot. State is only required to provide 35 psi ssd's o they were pretty proud of themselves providing 42 psi, when I moved in a year ago it was about 50 psi and no issues

Comment

Working...
                X