315RLTS Shower pan to shower wall separation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 315RLTS Shower pan to shower wall separation

We have a 2018 Reflection 315RLTS in which apparently the shower walls are loose where they go over the shower floor pan. The design of the walls indicates that the floor pan goes up behind the walls about 1 1/2 inches, and the shower wall panels were stuck to the sides of the shower floor pan, probably by double sided tape. In our rig, the shower walls are pooched out in spots, and when pressing against them I can hear/feel the adhesive of the double sided tape sticking, then unsticking when I release hand pressure. If I am correct with this, it would seem there is an opportunity for water to run up between the shower wall and pan, with the potential for water damage behind the shower enclosure. Has anyone experienced this situation? Would simply using a good quality caulk to seal the joint at the point of intersection between shower pan and shower walls be an adequate repair? Or am I all wet???!!!

brplatt195 This is pretty normal. This is how it has been in both of our trailers. The water will not wick up to damage the wall. The lip in behind on the pan prevents that. If you caulk it water will stay in there and cause mold issues. Best to leave the gap so that the water can be soaked up with a towel like we do or at least can dry out between use.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

I cualked ours right away when it was new. If you haven't used it for some time, it should be dry enough to caulk.
      2018 Reflection 315RLTS
      2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Originally posted by brplatt195 View Post
        We have a 2018 Reflection 315RLTS in which apparently the shower walls are loose where they go over the shower floor pan. The design of the walls indicates that the floor pan goes up behind the walls about 1 1/2 inches, and the shower wall panels were stuck to the sides of the shower floor pan, probably by double sided tape. In our rig, the shower walls are pooched out in spots, and when pressing against them I can hear/feel the adhesive of the double sided tape sticking, then unsticking when I release hand pressure. If I am correct with this, it would seem there is an opportunity for water to run up between the shower wall and pan, with the potential for water damage behind the shower enclosure. Has anyone experienced this situation? Would simply using a good quality caulk to seal the joint at the point of intersection between shower pan and shower walls be an adequate repair? Or am I all wet???!!!
        As I'm wading (get it?) into a plumbing question my .02 is probably wrong...but I *think* what you're seeing is normal and actually designed that way as explained by Calbar .

Below is how mine looks/feels:

Cate&Rob -- I'm sure I've read this discussed in the past.

-Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The shower walls overlap the shower pan in many (all?) Grand Design products. This is the same idea as shingles on the roof of a house. Water flows downhill . . . not uphill. Part of the reason that that this overlapping seam is left loose is to allow for expansion/contraction of the wall panel with temperature. Caulking this seam and essentially gluing these two parts together would not be the original design intent.

To the question about the shower wall panels becoming unstuck from whatever is holding them to the framing . . . in the earlier models (ours is a 2015 Reflection) the shower wall panels were held in place with plastic rivets. Not the "prettiest" installation but quite functional and apparently water tight over all these years. If you didn't mind the look of a rivet or two, these could be added to a newer wall panel that had come loose. Grand Design PN 350030 See attached.

Rob
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Cate&Rob; 04-13-2020, 10:53 AM.
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

My shower walls are also riveted like Cate&Rob have stated. I also had these rivets in my previous trailer for 12 years and never had a leaking issue.

I did notice that Rob has more rivets than mine which would help with the bowing out that I have in a couple of areas. Since I have the tool for plastic rivets I think I might add some to mine to get rid of the bow.

Rob
            Rob & Barb
            2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post
              My shower walls are also riveted like Cate&Rob have stated. I also had these rivets in my previous trailer for 12 years and never had a leaking issue.

I did notice that Rob has more rivets than mine which would help with the bowing out that I have in a couple of areas. Since I have the tool for plastic rivets I think I might add some to mine to get rid of the bow.

Rob
              Hi Rob,

On one of my "return trips" to Grand Design for other repairs, I commented that the shower walls were bulging. These walls "acquired" more rivets on that trip .
              I would be interested to know how your "plastic rivet" tool works. I notice that the stems of the rivets in mine are sometimes broken off below the surface (like a metal rivet) and sometimes look cut off with a sharp tool above the surface. How is this supposed to work with plastic rivets?

Rob

Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Rob,

On one of my "return trips" to Grand Design for other repairs, I commented that the shower walls were bulging. These walls "acquired" more rivets on that trip .
                I would be interested to know how your "plastic rivet" tool works. I notice that the stems of the rivets in mine are sometimes broken off below the surface (like a metal rivet) and sometimes look cut off with a sharp tool above the surface. How is this supposed to work with plastic rivets?

Rob
                Hi Rob,

I bought my plastic rivet tool to put on the mud flaps on the new RAM 3500 when we were in Florida last November. Bought the mud flaps from the local Florida dealer and then realized that it had plastic rivets for much of the installation. Bought this tool at Harbour Freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-r...ets-97757.html It essentially pulls the rivet to engage it and then the shaft breaks off much like a regular rivet tool which is why you get some plastic below the surface and some look cut off. All I need now is to find some white plastic rivets and I can fix my bulging shower too. All I have is black with the tool.

Rob
                Rob & Barb
                2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

Hi Rob,

I bought my plastic rivet tool to put on the mud flaps on the new RAM 3500 when we were in Florida last November. Bought the mud flaps from the local Florida dealer and then realized that it had plastic rivets for much of the installation. Bought this tool at Harbour Freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-r...ets-97757.html It essentially pulls the rivet to engage it and then the shaft breaks off much like a regular rivet tool which is why you get some plastic below the surface and some look cut off. All I need now is to find some white plastic rivets and I can fix my bulging shower too. All I have is black with the tool.

Rob
                  Rob,

Plastic white rivets. I have seen these at Home Depot. Jump on their web site and search white plastic rivets. That is how I found them.
                  Steve
                  2018 Reflection 303
                  2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
                  Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post

Rob,

Plastic white rivets. I have seen these at Home Depot. Jump on their web site and search white plastic rivets. That is how I found them.

Rob,
                    link at Home Depot -White Plastic Rivets
                    https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-W...00XA/100250436
                    Steve
                    2018 Reflection 303
                    2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
                    Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post

Rob,
                      link at Home Depot -White Plastic Rivets
                      https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-W...00XA/100250436
                      Thanks Steve,

Just what I need and now once the weather warms up and COVID goes away I can go get some and fix the bulge.

Rob
                      Rob & Barb
                      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Working...
                      X