Cutting Coroplast to access tanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Coroplast to access tanks.

We live fulltime in the RV and this is the second time we will have to get a mobile tech to change a valve. This time it is the black tank valve it has a slow leak and it is getting harder to push cable in. Tried back flushing and everything else to see if it was something lodged in the opening. We are very diligent in not putting paper other than #2 in the tank and it is the 1 ply Scott. We are on year 2 and really looking for a solution to the expense of additional labor to remove the coroplast. It seems these valves require yearly replacement.

Would cutting an access slit then sealing with zip tape be ok? Or will this become an issue in the future. I feel as if I had access could possible do the repairs myself And not need a tech in the future but it is too difficult for me to remove and replace the coroplast. Thoughts?

Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
    We live fulltime in the RV and this is the second time we will have to get a mobile tech to change a valve. This time it is the black tank valve it has a slow leak and it is getting harder to push cable in. Tried back flushing and everything else to see if it was something lodged in the opening. We are very diligent in not putting paper other than #2 in the tank and it is the 1 ply Scott. We are on year 2 and really looking for a solution to the expense of additional labor to remove the coroplast. It seems these valves require yearly replacement.

Would cutting an access slit then sealing with zip tape be ok? Or will this become an issue in the future. I feel as if I had access could possible do the repairs myself And not need a tech in the future but it is too difficult for me to remove and replace the coroplast. Thoughts?
    I've been considering doing something similar. Cate&Rob has already done something similar which I believe he refers to as "bomber doors". I'm sure he'll weigh in here soon.

When I get to mine I'll post what I do--but it won't be for a bit. I have a garage and shed to stain. (Ugh.)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Howson, there is no way I can do the bomber doors as CateandRob did it’s beyond my skill level
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

Can you just unscrew it along the edges and fold it back? That's what I have been doing so far. There are stick on zippers too. Don't know if they would work. On edit - I sent you a PM There is a thread on another site that might help
        https://www.zenhydro.com/lite-tite-h...CABEgK9JvD_BwE
        https://www.jondon.com/zipwall-heavy...SABEgK3c_D_BwE
        Last edited by Yoda; 04-16-2020, 11:24 AM.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Beachcamper

My plumbing system rebuild was a lot of different "plumbing related" upgrades all thrown together. No one part of the project was particularly complicated . . . it was just that, taken all together, it does seem a little daunting. You might surprise yourself on what you can do, if you have the time and inclination.

I really do believe that cutting open the coroplast leads to more problems than it solves. If you need to access the gate valves, drop the coroplast from the front back to the axles. This will not take you 15 minutes with a 3/8" socket in a power driver. Putting the coroplast back is not nearly as complicated as some make it out to be. All the attachment holes are predrilled. As long as every fastener goes back into an existing hole, everything will line up just like it did before.

For gates valves . . . I would strongly recommend dividing the drain manifold into three parts as I did. This means that you can work on one valve without loosening the other two which almost always causes more problems. The grease zerks on my gate valves work really well . . . I don't understand why others don't do this.

My plumbing rebuild story is attached here, for those who may be new to the "bomb bay door" and "gate valve grease fitting" references .

Rob
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Cate&Rob; 04-15-2020, 04:04 PM.
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Awesome work Rob.

Jim

Comment

Rob, you are amazing! I have seen your bomb bay doors in searching and I do believe it should be adopted by Grand Design. This is not something I feel comfortable doing just thinking simple but effective in the long run that won’t unravel when traveling.
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                Beachcamper . . . I don't understand why others don't do this.
                It's like going to the dentist--something you know you need to do but somehow keep avoiding.

I'm going to have to give those references a good read as I'm going to look at my gray valves soon. They just don't work right.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

. . . I would strongly recommend dividing the drain manifold into three parts as I did.
                  Hey Rob,

What kind of tool(s) do you use to cut the 3" ABS plumbing? One of those two-hand manual wire saws, or maybe a powered reciprocating saw?

Thanks.

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                  Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                  2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                  18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                  640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                  Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                  Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Hey Rob,

What kind of tool(s) do you use to cut the 3" ABS plumbing? One of those two-hand manual wire saws, or maybe a powered reciprocating saw?

Thanks.

-Steve
                    Hi Steve,

I had the whole drain manifold out at the time, so I used my mitre saw to get the cleanest cuts. If I had cut it in place, I would have used a powered reciprocating saw. Any medium toothed wood cutting blade will work and the cut does not have to be a perfect right angle to the pipe, because the two sides will be fitted back to each other when reassembled. Just remember to offset the cut to one side so that there is room to slide the new connector piece over and back. Picture attached, of connector (available at any plumbing store).

Rob
                    Attached Files
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Great job Cate&Rob . My valve to the homemade macerator is getting kind of attached to itself. I like the bomb bay doors, but I can get to mine from on top. I'm also working on a mod for the black tank where I can insert a spray wand from the top through the vent tube. I'm also going to install a high water alarm in the vent tube so that if it gets full I will know and it will also let me know when time to open the valves when doing flush and dumps.
                      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                      Nash County, NC
                      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

... Just remember to offset the cut to one side so that there is room to slide the new connector piece over and back...

Rob
                        Thanks for the info --but I don't understand what you mean by "offset the cut." Can you explain?

-Steve
                        2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                        Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                        2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                        18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                        640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                        Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                        Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Thanks for the info --but I don't understand what you mean by "offset the cut." Can you explain?

-Steve
                          The rubber sleeve that will join the two pieces of ABS has to be slid off to one side and then pulled across the joint after the second piece of ABS is put into position. If you make the cut in the exact center of the space (a logical thing to do) neither side will be long enough for the retracted sleeve.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Related to this topic, I did cut the Coroplast to expose my black water tank since it was leaking and had soaked the insulation with black water. It was a mess and I had to remove the insulation and disinfect to get rid of the sewer smell. Our rig is on a permanent site so I wasn't concerned with cutting the Coroplast vs. removing all the screws (trailer is skirted and I don't really have easy access to all of them).

So what kid of tape is recommended to close it up? I know eternabond will work but that stuff is nearly permanent. I have some Gorilla tape but not sure that will stay on.

The dealer is going to R & R the defective black tank and the tech said he will drop more of the Coroplast. They may tape up what I already cut but I am not sure.
                            2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

Originally posted by KirbyRVA View Post
                              Related to this topic, I did cut the Coroplast to expose my black water tank since it was leaking and had soaked the insulation with black water. It was a mess and I had to remove the insulation and disinfect to get rid of the sewer smell. Our rig is on a permanent site so I wasn't concerned with cutting the Coroplast vs. removing all the screws (trailer is skirted and I don't really have easy access to all of them).

So what kid of tape is recommended to close it up? I know eternabond will work but that stuff is nearly permanent. I have some Gorilla tape but not sure that will stay on.

The dealer is going to R & R the defective black tank and the tech said he will drop more of the Coroplast. They may tape up what I already cut but I am not sure.
                              I haven't tried this myself, but from what I've read* (must be true since it was on the internet, right?) the underbelly tape shown below will work.

*The recommendation was actually by Second Chance Rob, so I'm sure it's a good choice! I'm going to try it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Underbelly Repair Tape.JPG
Views:	1210
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	16856

Comment

Working...
                              X