This weekends plumbing mods, or "What soft hoses?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This weekends plumbing mods, or "What soft hoses?"

The middle of last week, I had one problem create a larger one that resulted in a trip to urgent care that morphed into two nights in the hospital with broken ribs and wacky labs. Kelly didn't notice that the door side basement door wasn't latched and the evening after I was admitted we had a round of severe storms roll thru. After I got home and had rested some along with the muscle relaxer and pain meds working well together, I found the door ajar and when I opened it, I was astonished at the amount of water in the floor. What was astonishing was that the door was on the leeward side of the trailer from the storm path, and it is partially protected by the carport. I pulled everything out and set it out to dry, then began breaking out the towels. Then I got to the bottom of the plumbing and electrical area and found way more water than I expected. Then I found the real problem. The connection where one of the soft lines connected to a Pex T was leaking. I grabbed an 11X14 plastic tote and put it under. I then had the conversation with SWMBO of "you remember that tool you asked if it could wait, well not any more". In 16 hours the leak amounted to over 3 inches of water in the tote.
    After the tool arrived and a trip to Homeless Depot, I lit into it on Friday. We are now down to only one soft line and that is the second hose to the black tank flush. That is the last one on the list as it is the least important. I also rerouted a few lines up and out of the way along with adding cut off valves underneath to the kitchen and washing machine, along with one behind the toilet. In the midst of this, I also moved the cut off for the icemaker to above the cabinet floor under the sink. As far as plumbing, I need to add a few support clamps and redo one union that is weeping (into a 5 gallon bucket). Then I moved to address another issue since the black tank flush isn't really that effective. I removed the 45 elbow of the vent tube and replaced it with a "sanitary tee" with a screw cap that will allow me to directly access the tank and interject a spray wand and nozzle to at least help clean around the drain opening. Since I was there anyway, I also added a battery operated high water alarm and placed the probe wires in the vent line just above the 45. Once I test it and make sure it does as intended then it will let me know when it is time to pull the handle for tank flushing.
    Attached Files
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
    Then I found the real problem. The connection where one of the soft lines connected to a Pex T was leaking.
    That soft hose is like a ticking time bomb in our trailers, unfortunately. I'll have a similar post to yours at some point as replacing all the soft hose is "on the list".

Congrats on getting it done!

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Wow! All of that with broken ribs , you are the man.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I can’t believe you worked in that tight space with pain from broken ribs 😳 what is model of your RV?
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

That soft hose is like a ticking time bomb in our trailers
          Unfortunately this is true.

ThePowells that is a big job, well done . . . and with injured ribs . . . ouch!!

As many on this forum will know, I kind of "started" this concern/project a couple of years ago.
          I have changed out all my soft hose except for the black tank flush. I rationalized this because it is hard to get at and is never pressurized unless I am standing there watching it.

An "add" that we have found very valuable (but I have never seen anyone else adopt) is a solenoid valve on the city water inlet. Who really takes the time to go around and turn off the the water every time you leave the trailer or go to bed ? I power this valve from the electric water heater feed. Whenever the electric water heater is on, the valve is open. When we leave the trailer, it is reasonably easy to remember to shut off the water heater switch in the panel by the door. This shuts off the city water pressure/flow. This relatively inexpensive valve has been doing its job with no problems for a couple of years now.

Rob
          Attached Files
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Who really takes the time to go around and turn off the the water every time you leave the trailer or go to bed?
            Every time we leave the trailer the water gets turned off. Bed--no, but that's why I have all the water sensor alarms in key places in the trailer. (Saved me once already!)

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            An "add" that we have found very valuable (but I have never seen anyone else adopt) is a solenoid valve on the city water inlet.I power this valve from the electric water heater feed. Whenever the electric water heater is on, the valve is open. When we leave the trailer, it is reasonably easy to remember to shut off the water heater switch in the panel by the door. This shuts off the city water pressure/flow.
            Dang, somehow over the last several years I've missed this, Rob. That is a brilliant solution. I'll have to look back at your PDFs to see if the part # is documented.

Shutting off the water heater is another item on our "departure list" even if it's just a quick run to the grocery store. My only question is the valve only allows water to pass if the electric side of the hot water heater is on? If boondocking where the electric side won't be used, how do you power the valve?

With my inverter powering all the circuits in my trailer, I'm guessing I could turn off the hot water heater circuit breaker (shutting off 120vAC to the heater). Will it damage the hot water heater circuitry to turn on the electric side at the Convenience Center (which sends a 12vDC "turn on" signal to the control board) with 120vAC off? I wouldn't think it would...I'm guessing the only result is no power to the electric heating element. The gas side should still work fine.

My plumbing project is quickly getting items added (accumulator, r2 soft hoses, add shutoff valve). Oh--and a pressure gauge! Did I miss anything?

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I'll have to look back at your PDFs to see if the part # is documented.
              Hi Howard,

The details of this valve are buried in my pdfs somewhere, but are also attached here. An interesting aspect of this 12V valve is that it only draws power while moving. At fully open, it is monitoring that there is 12V present on the signal line. When the 12V signal is removed, it closes. It does draw some small amount of power to open the valve.

Tying operation of this valve to the electric side of the water heater works for us because city water and shore power electric water heating almost always go together. Similarly pump/tank use and propane water heating usually go together (and this valve can remain closed). On the very rare occasion that we have a city water connection and no shore power, turning on the electric side of the water heater makes no difference. The only exception to this that I have found is winterizing the water system. At which time, I always turn off the electric heating breaker in the panel and have then used the 12V electric signal to the water heater circuit board to open this valve, with no negative consequences.

Rob

Attached Files
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Every time we leave the trailer the water gets turned off. Bed--no, but that's why I have all the water sensor alarms in key places in the trailer. (Saved me once already!)

Dang, somehow over the last several years I've missed this, Rob. That is a brilliant solution. I'll have to look back at your PDFs to see if the part # is documented.

Shutting off the water heater is another item on our "departure list" even if it's just a quick run to the grocery store. My only question is the valve only allows water to pass if the electric side of the hot water heater is on? If boondocking where the electric side won't be used, how do you power the valve?

With my inverter powering all the circuits in my trailer, I'm guessing I could turn off the hot water heater circuit breaker (shutting off 120vAC to the heater). Will it damage the hot water heater circuitry to turn on the electric side at the Convenience Center (which sends a 12vDC "turn on" signal to the control board) with 120vAC off? I wouldn't think it would...I'm guessing the only result is no power to the electric heating element. The gas side should still work fine.

My plumbing project is quickly getting items added (accumulator, r2 soft hoses, add shutoff valve). Oh--and a pressure gauge! Did I miss anything?

Adding the shut off valve has been filed for future reference. I'm not sure how far out I want to be adding stuff to this one since it may be traded before the suspension warranty is expired, but on the Moryde IS.The accumulator is a probability as is insulating the pump and maybe moving it to a wall.

Where are the other places that you have high water alarms, and do you use any type of catch container to put them into?
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                Nash County, NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Adding the shut off valve has been filed for future reference. I'm not sure how far out I want to be adding stuff to this one since it may be traded before the suspension warranty is expired, but on the Moryde IS.The accumulator is a probability as is insulating the pump and maybe moving it to a wall.

Where are the other places that you have high water alarms, and do you use any type of catch container to put them into?
                  Full story is here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-2019-315rlts

I had a leak behind the Nautilus panel and it dripped right on top of the Govee which dutifully sounded its alarm. Took me a few minutes to figure out what was screeching as I thought it was something from my Victron setup.

Comment

I like the Honeywell water sensors with the remote sensing cables. One cable runs around the pump and water panel. The other one goes down across the underbelly. See this thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-2019-315rlts. My info in post 4.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                    X