Black & Grey Tank Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black & Grey Tank Capacity

I just got a 2020 Solitude 380FL-R. What are the volume capacity for each of the four waste tanks? Black 1, Black 2, Grey 1 (Master Bath) and Grey 2 (Kitchen & 1/2 Bath)Tanks.

GDRV-Megan Could you please help with the question above?

Thanks
    Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Brucelowry615 View Post
      I just got a 2020 Solitude 380FL-R. What are the volume capacity for each of the four waste tanks? Black 1, Black 2, Grey 1 (Master Bath) and Grey 2 (Kitchen & 1/2 Bath)Tanks.
      Welcome to the Technical Forum. I have asked Megan for help with your question.

The tank capacity is "general" like a 40 gallon tank may hold 38 or even 42 gallons. An easy way to check your exact capacity is with a water flow meter attached to your water supply. Fill each tank to capacity and check the meter to see how much it takes. This is a little bit of work but will pay off if you plan to use the tanks often to capacity. The tank sensors that tell you if they are full or not are not very trustworthy , ours are quite often wrong as to how much is in the tanks.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...ude/floorplans

Specs section shows 93 freshwater, 106 each black and gray. If I understand your floorplan correctly, you have one black tank, gray tank 1 if for your kitchen, gray tank two is bathroom sinks and washing machine.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Brucelowry615 View Post
          Both the black and gray tanks are roughly 52 gallons apiece.

Comment

Hey there, I've had the same thought, my 2019 Momentum 395m says to have 78 gal black, I talked to GD customer service and was told that I have 39 in front and 39 rear, I used a water meter and sure enough the rear held 39, but I've put over 60 gals in the front and finally got scared. Any thoughts on that.....?

Comment

Originally posted by bitsy_hauler View Post
              Hey there, I've had the same thought, my 2019 Momentum 395m says to have 78 gal black, I talked to GD customer service and was told that I have 39 in front and 39 rear, I used a water meter and sure enough the rear held 39, but I've put over 60 gals in the front and finally got scared. Any thoughts on that.....?
              Did you happen to hit the button on the water meter that changes from gallons to liters? Bin-ther-dun-that

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hey Rob, Yep...I've things like that for sure...it was gallons, I actually did the front tank first...I had just got the meter and wanted to try it out...I was expecting water to start coming out of the roof vent at any time. Got a little nervous and stop....the back was next.....at 39 gallons I stopped...went inside the rear bath...and sure enough the water level was right there at the top of tank Do you think there might be a 78 gal up front?

Comment

Originally posted by bitsy_hauler View Post
                  Hey Rob, Yep...I've things like that for sure...it was gallons, I actually did the front tank first...I had just got the meter and wanted to try it out...I was expecting water to start coming out of the roof vent at any time. Got a little nervous and stop....the back was next.....at 39 gallons I stopped...went inside the rear bath...and sure enough the water level was right there at the top of tank Do you think there might be a 78 gal up front?
                  I have a theory. The bathroom gray and bathroom black tanks share the same drain line (3 1/2" pipe if I'm reading the drawing correctly). I'm speculating that water is bypassing the gray's gate valve (even when "closed"). If water is bypassing the valve, the black could be taking on water (if that valve is failing, too) and/or the drain line is filling up when attempting to fill the bathroom gray.

A way to check: empty all of the tanks completely. Close all the valves but leave the cap off the drain line. Now try and fill up the bathroom gray. If water comes out of the drain you know the valve is being bypassed.

FYI, the forward gray tank is on it's own drain line (if I'm right you've got two connections outside of your camper to drain the tanks).

Cate&Rob -- look at the 29RS' DWV PLAN and you'll see what I'm describing.

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson
                    Hi Howard,
                    You are getting the hang of this “plumbing thing” LOL . I was wondering about exactly what you describe. 60 gallons has to be filling more than one tank.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Howard, It was my understanding that the front bathroom sink, shower and kitchen sink go my gray, and the rear sink & toilet share. I only have black valve and gray valve up front and one black for rear. However, my monitor panel shows I have a gray #2...but I've never seen anything in there. Even after a year, I'm still learning stuff about my rig. I will continue to experiment. And also, I guess I could contact GD again with my serial # and maybe give some history......

Comment

bitsy_hauler

The info that I can access (as a forum moderator) shows that you have one forward grey, one forward black and one rear black/grey, as you describe. You do have two water tanks. A primary and and "auxiliary". Perhaps this auxiliary water tank is the 5th tank being monitored? If you contact Grand Design with your VIN and ask for a tank layout drawing, they will likely send this to you. These drawings cannot be posted on public sites.

On the Parts Look-up page (link at the upper right) or https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...y/parts-lookup you can find each of the tanks. These are described by dimensions rather than volume but you can calculate one from the other.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have the same situation with a 2nd grey tank showing on the monitor but never registering any water, and no rear grey tank drain valve. My weight sheet shows 102 gallons of grey water, and I've seen my front grey tank up close and personal and it is not twice the size of the adjacent 52 gallon black tank, so the weight sheet seems to indicate that there is a second grey tank.

I haven't confirmed this with GD but I think if you go with the washer/drier option they install a second grey tank in the rear. What is strange though is there is already water taps and drain line connection for the washer so I'm not sure where the drain water would go if someone just decided to hook up a washer without checking to see where the drain leads to (no, I haven't done this and hope I never need to).

Also, I have filled both main and auxiliary fresh water tanks and the 2nd grey tank meter still reads zero. The fresh water reading is for the main tank only, by the way. I found this out by filling the main tank to 100%, waiting a while for the two tanks to equalize and checking the reading again, down to 66%.

Sorry to get off topic. I do agree that 60 gallons is too much for the front black tank and the water had to be going somewhere. Hopefully down the drain.
                          John
                          2018 Momentum 395M
                          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Hey guys, Thanks for all the good input on info..I will check with GD and try to found out more....and also...I never thought about the gray tank for W/D...that's another rabbit trail.....have a great Memorial Day...

Comment

Working...
                            X