Adding Water to 315RLTS While Boondocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Water to 315RLTS While Boondocking

Update: Version 2 of the video incorporating Cate&Rob's input as suggested in the posts following this first one. The linked video below was edited from the first version to show the change.

--------------------------

My '19 315RLTS does not have a gravity feed port and I wanted a way to add water in a boondocking situation. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos but drill pumps and all the other options I found weren't quite right. I think what I've figured out is unique--at minimum I can honestly say I haven't seen the process I'm using in another post or video. If it exists I am not aware of it.

Below is a 4:36 video of me in my absolute finest clothing demonstrating the method I came up with. Note the time and effort that went into the makeup, socks, and shoes. (I jest, obviously. It's just me as I normally am, so wear dark shades if you must.)

Here is the list of items:

2x2 wood pieces cut to length/notched
    3" exterior wood screws (threads embedded in wood, smooth shanks outside for bag to hang on)
    Smart Bottle 5 Gallon/20 Liter Collapsible Water Container with a Blue Tubing Spout (Description from Amazon.com) https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Bottle-.../dp/B0744M67V2
    Smart Bottle Garden Hose Adapter https://www.smartbottleinc.com/#!/Ga...egory=23422549
    Yardsmith 5/8 In. & 3/4 In. Metal Clamp Hose Mender https://www.lowes.com/pd/Yardsmith-Y...ender/50328351
    Gilmour Single Flex Connect Shut-Off Hose Adapter https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gilmour-...05HD/205886165
    GP Logistics 6' Single Side Ladder https://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-.../dp/B002PNMMOC

Any questions--fire away.

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 05-12-2020, 07:55 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

howson
    Hi Howard,
    If you are using the onboard pump to draw in the water, why do you need to elevate the water container?
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      howson
      Hi Howard,
      If you are using the onboard pump to draw in the water, why do you need to elevate the water container?
      Rob
      Overcome the inlet water valve. The pressure from the gravity fed water simulates the pressure from a city water connection.

Remember the battle I had with getting antifreeze in my system? For some reason the pump on my unit is not very strong.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Overcome the inlet water valve. The pressure from the gravity fed water simulates the pressure from a city water connection.

Remember the battle I had with getting antifreeze in my system? For some reason the pump on my unit is not very strong.
        The problem might be your inlet check valve rather than your water pump. If the pump will pull water up from the water tank, it should pull water from a container at the same elevation as the tank. From watching your video, the most difficult part appears to be getting the water containers to the top of the ladder.

Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          The problem might be...
          The real problem is I'm not as smart as you.

If I've learned anything over the last several years is if you (or Gene and a few others) mention something I'd best think about it. As I pondered your words it became obvious I'd assumed I needed to get the bag all the way to the top of the ladder. If I used the top step as a brace for the bag holder, will the water still transfer?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Step Brace.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	18471

Short answer: yes. Yes it will.

Click image for larger version

Name:	It transfers.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	18472

Obviously, not having to lift the bag as high is safer with less risk of injury.

Thanks, as always, for your input Rob!

Howard

P.S. I'm going to edit the original video and post. I'll (hopefully) add enough detail that future readers understand the progression of this idea to where it is now.

Comment

howson
            Hi Howard,

The best way to be prepared for filling the tank this way would be if the elevation of the truck bed is sufficient for the RV water pump to pull in the water. Then, you can fill the transfer bladder tanks after you put them in the back of the truck and empty them from there. No lifting at all .

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

After two trailers with the yellow Lippert pump, struggling with winterizing the first one and unable to do it with the second one, I replaced the pump with a SHURflo 4008-101-E65. Night and day performance; quickly drains a jug of antifreeze sitting on the floor of the Nautilus cabinet. (That model of SHURflo may be discontinued, but models with similar specs are available.)

After watching your video I've gotta ask though Howard, why did you go to ALL that trouble when you had a hose just around the corner you could have used to fill your tank?! (Some of you guys need to be puttering just to have fun! )
              Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Gosh Howard, howson - this seems like a lot of extra effort for a simple system function that should work as designed. Can your system not be fixed as designed and if so why not ?

I rarely have recalled any folks sharing the same problem with the Nautilus or even the Kantleak systems. In fact, we have used ours a few times simply drawing fresh water from a 5 gallon bucket sitting on the ground into our fresh tank using our 25' water hose. Yes, I know this does not help to address your system issues but goodness, I hope you can get the system to work as it should w/o having to re-invent the wheel.

Maybe one of the traveling GDRV techs can fix it when in your area next time in the coming weeks (and any other items as appropriate.)

Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
                  ...why did you go to ALL that trouble when you had a hose just around the corner you could have used to fill your tank?
                  I want the capability to add water when there's no water hose available within reach of the camper, or none available where I'm staying (Harvest Host, etc). The point was to figure out a way to add water other than the "normal" way with the items I already carried (ladder, etc) with minimal extra equipment. The only extra piece needed was the 2x2 as the bag holder and that small section of hose.

Regarding replacing the pump...if/when the OEM pump quits I'll upgrade it, but it works for now.

While I understand Rob's suggestion to use the truck bed vs the ladder, the bags are not stable by themselves (like a hard jug). The point of the bag is it collapses when empty for easy storage.

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
                    After watching your video I've gotta ask though Howard, why did you go to ALL that trouble when you had a hose just around the corner you could have used to fill your tank?! (Some of you guys need to be puttering just to have fun! )
                    An attempt at humor....

I want the capability to add water when there's no water hose available within reach of the camper, or none available where I'm staying (Harvest Host, etc).
                    ... that obviously failed badly. Sorry Howard, I knew what you were up to, was just joking about the nearby hose. However I seriously think that you should consider a stronger pump. Not that you need to be convinced that it's an easy job, but it's probably an easy job. It was plug and play on our trailer; and the difference in performance was very noticeable.
                    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                      Gosh Howard, howson - this seems like a lot of extra effort for a simple system function that should work as designed. Can your system not be fixed as designed and if so why not ?

I rarely have recalled any folks sharing the same problem with the Nautilus or even the Kantleak systems. In fact, we have used ours a few times simply drawing fresh water from a 5 gallon bucket sitting on the ground into our fresh tank using our 25' water hose. Yes, I know this does not help to address your system issues but goodness, I hope you can get the system to work as it should w/o having to re-invent the wheel.

Maybe one of the traveling GDRV techs can fix it when in your area next time in the coming weeks (and any other items as appropriate.)

Dan
                      Dan,
                      Every year in the fall there are posts about individuals having problems getting antifreeze into their camper via the OEM pump. Advice to fix the problem ranges from raising the jug to priming the pump and even flipping the screen to defeat the city water inlet valve's resistance. I don't see there's anything unusually wrong with my camper. Not everyone has the same problems with their camper, a fact across multiple systems in our rigs.

When I tried to add anti-freeze this past fall I gave up and used a submersible pump in a bucket of the pink stuff to force it into the camper. You may or may not remember that thread.

This post was an attempt to share what (should) be a fool-proof way of adding water to a trailer that does not have a gravity fill connection when city water isn't available. I'll also use the exact same process the next time I add anti-freeze.

If an individual doesn't boondock (always has a city water outlet available) or is fortunate to have a strong pump (OEM or aftermarket)--obviously this won't be of interest to them.

Howard

P.S. I've been at a campground (twice!) with water hookups and the campground water system failed. Once was in Alabama and once in Kentucky. Now I've got everything I need with me, and know how to use it, should I run into the the situation again and have little to no water in my fresh water tank. I rarely have more than 5 gallons in the tank when traveling due to the weight.

Comment

Dan,
                        Every year in the fall there are posts about individuals having problems getting antifreeze into their camper via the OEM pump.
                        I do recall these posts.......not too many which has been positive. The good news is the overwhelming vast majority of systems are functioning as designed and exepcted as they s/b. For those few that are not, it would seem easily correctable. However, since you have not tackled yours to perform as it should, there must be more to it than I suspect.

Advice to fix the problem ranges from raising the jug to priming the pump and even flipping the screen to defeat the city water inlet valve's resistance. I don't see there's anything unusually wrong with my camper. Not everyone has the same problems with their camper, a fact across multiple systems in our rigs.

When I tried to add anti-freeze this past fall I gave up and used a submersible pump in a bucket of the pink stuff to force it into the camper. You may or may not remember that thread.
                        I do recall this now that you reference that again......thank you !

This post was an attempt to share what (should) be a fool-proof way of adding water to a trailer that does not have a gravity fill connection when city water isn't available. I'll also use the exact same process the next time I add anti-freeze.

If an individual doesn't boondock (always has a city water outlet available) or is fortunate to have a strong pump (OEM or aftermarket)--obviously this won't be of interest to them.
                        Or if you forget to fill the fresh tank before setting up camp as I did......what a knuckle head move that was ! I blame it on my 60th BD that day !

Howard

P.S. I've been at a campground (twice!) with water hookups and the campground water system failed. Once was in Alabama and once in Kentucky. Now I've got everything I need with me, and know how to use it, should I run into the the situation again and have little to no water in my fresh water tank. I rarely have more than 5 gallons in the tank when traveling due to the weight.
                        Hope I did this quote properly......?

Dan

I fixed it for ya! Each quoted section must start with "{QUOTE=howson;n18507} and close with {/QUOTE}. Note I used { and } instead of [ and ] so it would actually show up. Look at your post in "edit" mode and you'll see what I did. -Howard
                        Last edited by howson; 05-12-2020, 01:16 PM.
                        Dan & Carol
                        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                        X