Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On Demand Water Heater - is it possible to install in a 390RK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Demand Water Heater - is it possible to install in a 390RK?

I am a want-to-be owner of a new 390RK and would prefer to have a tankless on-demand water heater instead of the propane/electric unit normally installed. Does anybody have any experience with or views on installing and using a tankless heater? Thanks.
    Starts
    05-14-2020
    Ends
    05-14-2020

I do not have any first hand experience, but from what I have read there are two brands. One is OEM only so not an option, and the other I think was available for self install but did not work as well. Plus if you do any dry camping you burn through your tank quicker because you have to run more water than normal to get enough flow for the HWH to come on. I was very interested in it as well until I did the research and saw they were not well suited to the camping we do, but it was a couple years ago and things may have changed.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

It's a popular mod and seems to work well for a number of full-timers in the Escapees RV Club. You might cruise/search their forums and see what you find.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Rod BI

Just wondering what you see as the benefit of an on-demand water heater?
        I do not have one of these, but have researched them with similar findings to what Neil ncitro describes.

A relatively small propane fired RV water heater responds not unlike a residential on-demand water heater.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thank you all for such prompt and helpful responses. Ncitro - good point re limitations when dry camping. Looking to my future I think those days are pretty well behind me as I will me moving from a large property/house to full timing it in the GD. My travels will be to/from grandchildren and not so much boondocking/camping. I have a on demand HWH in my current house and I love it - benefits over a traditional gas/electric fired HWH are mainly the limitless quantity available when and where you need it. I will look for the Escapees RV Club and see what I can find.
          Be safe everybody.

Comment

We had our 12-gallon heater swapped for a Suburban Nautilus on demand heater by our dealer before we took delivery (Suburban does not sell the unit for self install), and have been happy with the decision. We can go from taking a shower, to doing dishes, to taking a shower without having to wait for the heater tank to refill. I don't have anything to compare it to but don't feel that the propane usage is excessive; we can go a month on one tank if we aren't using the furnace. Our controller did go out after 18 months (made for some interesting showers), but was replaced under warranty. One thing to know is that you must have a minimum flow of 1/2 gallon per minute for the heater to kick in, was only a problem at one park and switching to our pump took care of it. For maintenance, the heater needs to be flushed once a year to remove hard water build up.

If we had to do it again, we would.

Forgot to mention that Suburban does not recommend using on demand heater for camp showers, the kind where you turn the water off while lathering up.
            Last edited by JBill9694; 05-16-2020, 09:31 AM.
            John
            2018 Momentum 395M
            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
            X