Universal Docking Station not fully enclosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal Docking Station not fully enclosed

The wet bay in the 337RLS is not a self contained bay area. A drain pan with the hose access is directly below the hose connections. Between the water catch and the Docking station there is a small strip of foam to insure a tight fit. This foam is a great wick for water that may leak, seal or spew.

Last night, due to a small water leak at the fresh water connection, water seeped directly down from the fresh water inlet upon the foam striping and the water collected in my storage area.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to modify the area to provide a splash guard and make the area more water tight? Maybe this has already been posted and I missed it.

My thoughts are to install a sheet of pexi glass or some board similar that is water proof and connect it to the side wall that terminates at the Docking station. I would use silicon to seal all bottom contact and side seam of the new board and also seal with silicon the foam strip I mentioned in my comments above.
    Keith and Tina
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
    Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Santa61
    Hi Keith and Tina

This is not a problem that has been discussed here before . . . so, good that you bring it to everyone's attention. Perhaps you could post a picture?
    My similar experience is that water from a loose connection as you describe, finds its way in through the holes for the pull cables.

My first thought would be a strip of eternabond tape over the foam tape to solve the issue that you describe. Eternabond is designed for RV roof repairs and is very durable and watertight.

Something else that you might want to consider is a water alarm to let you know about any water leaks in the basement. Honeywell makes a nice one with a remote sensing cable. I have one with the sensing cable routed around the pump and under the water panel. The other one has its sensing cable down in the underbelly.

Rob
    Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

We had a minor leak from the water filter connection and it made it out through the hose port. The water alarms are on my list when I can start back with RV "projects".
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Santa61 I would be leery about putting in any splashguard that I couldn't remove. Maybe weather seal around the edges instead of caulking? I don't know if water from your leak could have made it to the cut out in the floor for you drain lines, but if yes you might want to check your insulation. Yes, learned this from personal experience.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Excellent suggestion on the eternabond tape and the water sensor. Cate&Rob, thanks for the exact name and model number for the sensor. These are two items I will put on the order list.

JBILL9694, I appreciate the insight on the insulation having been compromised with water. I will look today for I am certain the water went to hole you reference.
          Keith and Tina

Comment

Here's an update and pictures to show how I created what I call a wet bay area for the Nautilus P1 system.

A couple of points to best understand how I created this enclosure. I used a 12"x24"x3/8" StarBoard acrylic black sheet cutting it to size as necessary and installed it vertically by fastening a steel channel to the aluminum decking directly above the bay area. The upper portion of the acrylic sheet slides into the steel channel and the bottom is screwed into the side of the water access tray. The board and is sealed into position using Permatex Black Silicone.

Yes, it is a bit tight when needing two hands to fasten hose ends however it is very manageable and in my opinion worth the prevention of water from leaking, seeping or spewing into the storage area. Click image for larger version

Name:	0D397E4C-2DD8-4690-990B-273FC6578035.jpeg
Views:	847
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	20826Click image for larger version

Name:	4809B55D-5DB4-4CDC-B6A3-D7062A637F9E.jpeg
Views:	714
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	20827
            Keith and Tina

Comment

I also thought the water alarm idea was excellent and installed one directly behind the Nautilus system. The unit recommended by Cate&Rob is discontinued. I purchased and installed the Honeywell RWD42. To mount the actual alarm I used velcro male tape on the back of the alarm which adhered excellently to the loop type fabric used to cover the storage room wall boards. The actual sensor rope is laid on the floor behind the Nautilus system and attached in a few places using small strips of duck tape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	249318DE-B621-452C-A49B-C0AE544E75A4.jpeg
Views:	725
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	20830Click image for larger version

Name:	0C263FB6-7756-4C97-B411-4BBEA32305BD.jpeg
Views:	695
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	20831
              Keith and Tina

Comment

Originally posted by Santa61 View Post
                ...worth the prevention of water from leaking, seeping or spewing into the storage area.
                Nice work, Keith.

The 337 doesn't have the tray like what is in my 315? It looks like the storage area is all one level.

Name:	Tray.JPG
Views:	1153
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	20833
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard,

Correct about the 337RLS tray. The storage area floor and the water access tray is one level.

You have an excellent hookup for both your fresh and black flush water lines. What is the meter on the black flush water line? Is this a pressure gauge or a volume meter gauge?

Keith

Keith and Tina

Comment

Pressure gauge. JASI from Cate&Rob

(JASI = "Just another stolen idea"...lol...Rob's been an almost constant source of project ideas over the years!)
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                      Pressure gauge. JASI from Cate&Rob

(JASI = "Just another stolen idea"...lol...Rob's been an almost constant source of project ideas over the years!)
                      Howard . . . I’m pretty sure that is a volume meter .

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        I’m pretty sure that is a volume meter
                        Now you're just being downright mean, Mr. Farrow. You've got me reading about Boyle's Law and Evangelista Torricelli at 5:30 in the morning (not even through my first cup of coffee).

Now I see my mistake.

I thought Santa61 was referencing the new pressure gauge that's installed in the Black Flush line slot of my Nautilus panel (as shown below). In post #8 of this thread is a picture of the old configuration with--yep--a volume meter.

Name:	Pressure.JPG
Views:	693
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	20884

And for those who don't know, Evangelista Torricelli was an assistant to Galileo. So there.

Time for the second cup of coffee...

Last edited by howson; 06-07-2020, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X