Bathroom Sink Replacement (Upgrade?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom Sink Replacement (Upgrade?)

First—this is not an original idea. Due to the request of the forum owner where this idea originally resides I will refrain from referencing the original thread here on this forum. However, I do not want it to appear that I am taking credit for another’s idea, so this is a shout out to “Lampton” whom I believe first posted this modification.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	1898

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	176.6 KB ID:	1899

This modification was not as easy as it looked. The Houzer bowl is significantly larger and space is very tight. I must have measured a dozen or more times to ensure I had it right before cutting the top. Cutting the counter top was quite the affair given the small working area. (Hint: Have a helper with a shopvac going when you are cutting. It makes a mess.)

Unlike “Lampton” I did not need any additional plumbing parts or pieces. I was able to coax the drain lines into alignment. It was tight, but it all worked. The water lines were *just* long enough to reach the faucet. (If it is not obvious from the picture, the faucet must be moved back.)

To facilitate moving the faucet I used a piece of paper and scratched out a template of the old holes. (I hope that makes sense.) I had 1 1/8” “Forstner Drill Bit” to make the holes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Forstener Drill Bit.JPG Views:	0 Size:	11.3 KB ID:	1897

To my (and my DW’s) great surprise nothing leaked when water pressure was reapplied. For those that know my love/hate relationship with plumbing this is a minor miracle. I still need to caulk under the sink, so by loosening it back up there’s still a chance a leak will drive me crazy.

As to the why? question—I’m not a small individual. The OEM “airline sink” was fine for the DW but the larger one is much better (for me). This is a highly subjective change—some may even think the sink is too big. (That’s OK!)

If there’s any questions feel free to fire away—I’ll do my best to answer them.

Edit: One other change from Lampton's install--the sink I purchased has the overflow drain his did not.
    Last edited by howson; 07-13-2019, 08:22 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Nice write up. I remember the original write up and I think I understand the size and fit different better with your pictures and explanation. I don’t have your situation or model RV. However, I still like it.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Duall
    y

Comment

Howard,
      This isn't the one I was thinking of - but it's another great example of planning & craftmanship and what's possible with both!
      One that's in my mind used a square or rectangular sink similar to the style referred to as a "bar" sink - but all the ones in that style that I've found are 9"-12" deep and I'd like to stay in the 6" deep range.
      Have to admit, after seeing this post I'm going to consider the slightly larger oval design?
      Besides size, my other big gripe of the factor sink is how it always holds water in the bowl due to how poorly the drain fits in the bottom creating a lip.
      Appreciate your sharing this post!
      Chris
      Chris
      2019 Solitude 3740BH
      2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Resurrecting this thread as I go down this rabbit hole.

What would be super helpful in these cases is a pic with the water on, to see a comparison of where it lands in the bowl.

Silly that GD even use the standard faucet. It's sooo bad. It seems the standard for early 20's TTs are NLA and I've seen pics of what look like new units with a gooseneck lav faucet.
        2021 Imagine 2600RB
        2022 Duramax Tahoe RST 4WD with tow (because 2017 GLS450 burned our garage down)

Comment

Originally posted by dbphillips View Post
          Resurrecting this thread as I go down this rabbit hole.

What would be super helpful in these cases is a pic with the water on, to see a comparison of where it lands in the bowl.

Silly that GD even use the standard faucet. It's sooo bad. It seems the standard for early 20's TTs are NLA and I've seen pics of what look like new units with a gooseneck lav faucet.
          I don't have the pictures with the water on--sorry. Only thing I can convey is I'd absolutely, 100% do this mod again without even a question. The small "airline" bowl was just way too small for my ham-hands.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Concur. I just figure if I'm cutting the countertop, I might go even bigger and add new holes for the faucet.
            2021 Imagine 2600RB
            2022 Duramax Tahoe RST 4WD with tow (because 2017 GLS450 burned our garage down)

Comment

Originally posted by dbphillips View Post
              Concur. I just figure if I'm cutting the countertop, I might go even bigger and add new holes for the faucet.
              In our 297RSTS I found just replacing the faucet with one with a taller gooseneck was sufficient. I can live with the sink size now that I can get my paws under the water. And it took all or about 4 minutes to do the direct swap.
              Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
              2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
              2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

x2 on what trkester Terry says. We found that once the faucet was replaced with a higher longer residential one, the small sink size was quite workable.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I replaced the factory faucet with a taller one but I still think I will be replacing the sink, it is just too darn small.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

On my 297RSTS I replaced both the sink and the faucett. I used the same sink that howson used. It was a great upgrade and DW loved the extra size of the sink. Unfortunately now in the new Solitude, GD decided to put in a tiny sink again but this one is an under mounted one and I am reluctant to get the larger undermount. I would have to router out the plywood base and rotor out the solid surface counter sink opening too. A bit too much risk on this one and DW hasn't said too much about the change yet.

Rob
                    Rob & Barb
                    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

You could convert the under mount to a top mount pretty easily. I don't think opening the hole up is a good idea unless it's a complete plastic and not a man made marble as the man made marble does not have nice edges (you probably noticed this on the previous cutout) when cut as all exposed edges are part of the pour process.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        You could convert the under mount to a top mount pretty easily. I don't think opening the hole up is a good idea unless it's a complete plastic and not a man made marble as the man made marble does not have nice edges (you probably noticed this on the previous cutout) when cut as all exposed edges are part of the pour process.
                        Agreed. This is my concern about opening the hole. I could go top mount for sure which would hide the rough edges and things made by opening the hole. If DW really wants the bigger sink this is probably the way I will need to go. Might try the undermount hole cutting first and if it doesn't turn out nice then I can just go top mount since if anything the top mount would need the hole the same size of slightly bigger.

Rob
                        Rob & Barb
                        2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                        2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

This just in . . . the OE basin size and material has been judged acceptable by our resident inspector.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2721.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	106613
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

You have officially lost that sink for hand washing.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

I just had to go a different direction.

Paul and Deb Cervone
                              2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                              2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                              2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X