Black tank odor in W/D closet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black tank odor in W/D closet

Greetings. We have a brand new 390RK with a washer/dryer installed by dealer. We've noticed a black tank odor coming from the W/D closet. Understand Washer is plumbed into Gray tank (or should be!). Any ideas on cause and/or remedy? Thank you!

Do you use a washing machine? If not it might be as simple as a dry trap. Pour a couple cups of water down the drain. If you are using a washing machine then this should go back to the dealer as a warranty item. Having visited the factory it's doubtful that its piped to the wrong tank underneath. But then again anything can happen on an assembly line.
    I'm not aware of an Air Admittance Valve on this line, but if there is one it has possibly gone bad. Someone else can contribute if they know one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by bjrogers View Post
      Greetings. We have a brand new 390RK with a washer/dryer installed by dealer. We've noticed a black tank odor coming from the W/D closet. Understand Washer is plumbed into Gray tank (or should be!). Any ideas on cause and/or remedy? Thank you!
      You're correct that the bathroom gray tank (shower, sink) is also used for the washer according to the 390RK drawing. The only connection to the black tank is that the gray and black share a common drain after the gate valves (the things you pull to dump the tanks).

I'll leave further diagnosis to the individuals here who know about plumbing. Definitely not me.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

You're correct that the bathroom gray tank (shower, sink) is also used for the washer according to the 390RK drawing. The only connection to the black tank is that the gray and black share a common drain after the gate valves (the things you pull to dump the tanks).

I'll leave further diagnosis to the individuals here who know about plumbing. Definitely not me.

Howard
        Howard - is it possible that the black and gray tank share a common vent on that model. I think they do on my unit.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

It is quite possible that the side-by-side grey and black tanks share a vent stack . . . but this should not be a factor in how the odor is getting into the washer/dryer space. It seems like the washing machine was installed without a P trap or other means of blocking air coming back from the tank. A grey tank can also have a nasty smell . . . so, this might not involve the black tank at all.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Reaching maybe and digging in the archives for ideas.

GDRV did build some units over the years with the water-less traps. Seems there were posts where the inside membrane flipped (not sure I am stating that correctly) in the reverse direction causing both draining and possibly smell issues.

Is this a possibility that this type of trap was used on the 390 in this location and maybe this could be the issue ?

Dan
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
              Reaching maybe and digging in the archives for ideas.

GDRV did build some units over the years with the water-less traps. Seems there were posts where the inside membrane flipped (not sure I am stating that correctly) in the reverse direction causing both draining and possibly smell issues.

Is this a possibility that this type of trap was used on the 390 in this location and maybe this could be the issue ?

Dan
              Dan,

This is definitely a possibility. A "duck bill" one way valve is often used when there is not room for a conventional P trap. I think the brand that Grand Design uses is Hepvo. https://hepvo.com

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for all of the input/help. Would I need to contact GD about whether this (Hepvo) is what was installed or not...or take it in to dealer and have them pull W/D and see? TIA

Comment

Originally posted by bjrogers View Post
                  Thanks for all of the input/help. Would I need to contact GD about whether this (Hepvo) is what was installed or not...or take it in to dealer and have them pull W/D and see? TIA
                  I think I would be starting with the dealer to understand what they did or did not install. Certainly nothing wrong with asking Grand Design if they install a Hepvo valve on the washer prep drain line.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X