Replacing the Soft Hose in a 315RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the Soft Hose in a 315RLTS

Replacing the soft hose in my rig's plumbing is the next "down under" project while the coroplast is down. This thread will be another "blog" where I document (as I go) the replacement of the soft hose in my 315RLTS. I apologize in advance if some of this seems very simplistic, but I'm not very experienced working on plumbing and covet any and all input.

bogen2 -- I'm following your progress in https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-dreading-this!

The first attempt will be the soft hose going to the kitchen. (Looks easy, said the blind man.) The picture below was taken from underneath the trailer--you can see where the Pex goes up into the trailer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pex in Kitchen.JPG Views:	0 Size:	148.0 KB ID:	19294

So a few questions for our resident plumbing guru (or anyone else that wants to chime in!).

Cate&Rob

1) I'm thinking of cutting the Pex where I've drawn the line. That should give me plenty of room to work to connect the new pieces. Any issue(s) you see with this plan?

2) To get the Pex up into the kitchen, I'll put elbows where you see the "Ls". Is this correct?

3) I plan on putting in shutoff valves under the sink (actually replacing the ones I'd previously installed with Pex-compatible valves). Anything else in the kitchen area I should be considering?

TIA!
    Last edited by howson; 12-02-2020, 07:17 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

howson
    Hi Howard,

This plan looks good and will be an easy introduction to your "replace the soft hose" project.
    Drop the new vertical Pex lines from the sink and run the horizontal Pex lines from your cut lines, with some overlap.
    Then, where these cross, you can make the final cuts to have "zero stress" 90 degree fittings.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Replacing the soft hose in my rig's plumbing is the next "down under" project while the coroplast is down. This thread will be another "blog" where I document (as I go) the replacement of the soft hose in my 315RLTS. I apologize in advance if some of this seems very simplistic, but I'm not very experienced working on plumbing and covet any and all input.

bogen2 -- I'm following your progress in https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-dreading-this!

The first attempt will be the soft hose going to the kitchen. (Looks easy, said the blind man.) The picture below was taken from underneath the trailer--you can see where the Pex goes up into the trailer.

Click image for larger version Name:	Pex in Kitchen.JPG Views:	0 Size:	148.0 KB ID:	19294

So a few questions for our resident plumbing guru (or anyone else that wants to chime in!).

Cate&Rob

1) I'm thinking of cutting the Pex where I've drawn the line. That should give me plenty of room to work to connect the new pieces. Any issue(s) you see with this plan?

2) To get the Pex up into the kitchen, I'll put elbows where you see the "Ls". Is this correct?

3) I plan on putting in shutoff valves under the sink (actually replacing the ones I'd previously installed with Pex-compatible valves). Anything else in the kitchen area I should be considering?

TIA!
      I'm guessing the bend is too tight to do that without the use of PEX elbows? IE still cut the PEX at the lines you drew, and then one continuous piece of PEX all the way to your kitchen valves?
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

I think (judging from the pic) that there is enough space to put the curved elbows. They are pretty cheap and for me it eliminates four possible leak points. I can probably stick a piece of Pex in one of mine and tell you what the size of that bend is when I get home. A little hot water helps make the bends go a little easier.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

StephenO and ThePowells -- pex bends? (Told you I was ignorant on this topic.) I know it isn't like a steel or copper pipe in rigidity, but what is an acceptable bend radius for Pex? Are there different types of Pex like there is PVC? (PVC has "schedule" ratings if I remember correctly.)

I've read Cate&Rob (Rob's) "RV Plumbing Tools & Parts", "Soft Hose Leaks", and "Plumbing System Rebuild" PDFs but I'm sure there's a "gotcha" waiting for me because I don't know what I don't know. Maybe I can convince him to put together a "RV Plumbing 101" presentation similar to TucsonJim (Jim's) "Solar 101".

For those who are as ignorant as I am on plumbing, this Sharkbite video is very informative (I now know the difference between Sharkbite and Pex!):
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Cate&Rob (Rob),
            The purpose of this post is not to convince you of this technique, but to show the actual before and after as I attempted to describe in the earlier post. I remembered I had this footage so I thought I'd post it. It's less than a minute in length.

Lubricating the Kitchen Gray Valve (Before & After)

Comment

howson
              The "curved elbows" referenced earlier are brackets that hold the Pex pipe at it's minimum bend radius without collapsing the pipe wall. I agree that you probably have room for these rather than elbow fittings. Google "Pex Bend Supports" for more info.

Rob
              Attached Files
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                howson
                The "curved elbows" referenced earlier are brackets that hold the Pex pipe at it's minimum bend radius without collapsing the pipe wall. I agree that you probably have room for these rather than elbow fittings. Google "Pex Bend Supports" for more info.

Rob
                howson

They do work and based on the size pipe are set for the max bend possible. HD carries them as well as other places. To check, get one and use a scrap piece of pex. I have used a hair dryer to warm the pex before bending if it is a cool day, but don't get it to hot .
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

howson , I'm sorry that I didn't get the pics I took posted. I made the mistake of trying to download them a slightly different way from normal and getting this done in the twilight between Ambien and the bed. I should have grabbed the flash card and brought it with me. The 90 curve is over 7 inches of tubing, so from the end of the elbow to the middle of the curve is about 3 inches, so if you put the end of the bend at insulation level, it would hand down four inches at most. Not being familiar with your camper, I don't know how things are plumbed, but ours had two on the washer hookup lines.
                  Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                  Nash County, NC
                  2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Here are the pics; Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Pex 90.JPG
Views:	1491
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	19429Click image for larger version

Name:	3 pex 90.JPG
Views:	1477
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	19428Click image for larger version

Views:	1487
ID:	19430Click image for larger version

Name:	2 pex 90.JPG
Views:	1465
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	19427
                    Nash County, NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                      Here are the pics; Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Pex 90.JPG
Views:	1491
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	19429Click image for larger version

Views:	1477
ID:	19428Click image for larger version

Views:	1487
ID:	19430Click image for larger version

Name:	2 pex 90.JPG
Views:	1465
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	19427
                      Thank you, Jerry! Very helpful.

Due to this thing called "retirement" I completely overlooked yesterday was Saturday. Going to Lowes (or Home Depot) for supplies on a Saturday--nope--I don't do that. So I ended up tackling other items on my "Down Under" list. Tuesday is now when I'll start replacing the soft hose.

Comment

ThePowells
                        Hi Jerry . . . thanks for posting the pictures!

howson
                        Hi Howard

I did consider using these bend brackets in my plumbing rebuild (and I know that others have successfully used them) but I was concerned about the cross section reduction at the mid-point of the bend, even with the support bracket. As can be seen in Jerry's pictures. Note that although the brackets are 90 degrees, the Pex is not there yet and when it also gets to 90 degrees (which must be held by other clamps or fixtures) that center cross section gets even narrower. Then I thought about how the temperatures inside a stored RV go much higher than sticks-and-bricks and without water pressure inside the Pex, would this higher temperature cause the Pex in these bends to collapse further?

In the end, I went will all brass elbows . . . which fit my limited space better anyway.

Just another perspective . . .

Rob
                        Last edited by Cate&Rob; 05-24-2020, 08:24 AM.
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                          ThePowellsJust another perspective . . .Rob
                          Thanks, Rob, your perspective is always very welcome and appreciated. This gives me more to ponder before putting together my parts list for Tuesday's shopping trip.

Howard

Comment

The Sharkbite PEX I have bends without flattening. It just has to have the bend support to keep it there and have the correct minimum bend radius, 5" for 1/2".

SharkBite PEX Install Instructions 2017_FINAL_WEB

Gene and Kim
                            2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                            2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
                              The Sharkbite PEX I have bends without flattening. It just has to have the bend support to keep it there and have the correct minimum bend radius, 5" for 1/2".

SharkBite PEX Install Instructions 2017_FINAL_WEB

"Sharkbite" PEX? So that's a brand of PEX made by the Sharkbite manufacturer? Very interesting--can't wait to read that PDF in detail!

This forum is awesome--I'm learning a lot!

Comment

Working...
                              X