Supplement low water pressure from City water with pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplement low water pressure from City water with pump

I have a 2020 315RLTS. At our seasonal site, the city water pressure is pretty low. It is ok for flushing the toilet and for washing dishes, but it is totally inadequate for taking a shower. When we take a shower, we switch over from City Water to our tanks and turn the pump on.

Is there a way to configure the system so that we have the City Water on full time but when we turn on the pump draws from the tanks without us having to go out and switch from City Water to Dry Camping. We could run full time Dry Camping except that the water pump is located near the bedroom and I want to be able to flush toilets or run water ( not shower) at night without waking my wife?
    Last edited by howson; 05-25-2020, 08:45 AM. Reason: Spelling in title...

I don't think so. The pressure on the intake side of the pump would likely damage the pump. The best solution would probably be to fill your fresh tank regularly and just operate off the fresh tank and pump all the time. Lots of folks do that, anyway - and there are ways to quiet down the water pump (do a search on Google for that). Make sure you depressurize the water system each time before switching your water valve(s) from dry camping to city water and back so you don't loose an O-ring in the valves.

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Teeder1 View Post
      I have a 2020 315RLTS. At our seasonal site, the city water pressure is pretty low. It is ok for flushing the toilet and for washing dishes, but it is totally inadequate for taking a shower. When we take a shower, we switch over from City Water to our tanks and turn the pump on.

Is there a way to configure the system so that we have the City Water on full time but when we turn on the pump draws from the tanks without us having to go out and switch from City Water to Dry Camping. We could run full time Dry Camping except that the water pump is located near the bedroom and I want to be able to flush toilets or run water ( not shower) at night without waking my wife?
      Second Chance (Rob) is correct. I have a '19 315RLTS.

Have you seen the Nautilus diagrams? They may help you visualize why: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...el-information

I suggest running the water pump during the day. Switch to city water at night.

If you'll be at the seasonal site more than once, Cate&Rob (another Rob) installed an accumulator to help with water pressure. For showers it will only help a short time, but it's something to consider. (Note this Rob has a 5vr so he has more room to install the accumulator. Our 315RLTS' may present a challenge.)

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Teeder1

Would your seasonal park be amenable to a booster pump outside your RV, connected to their water supply? These systems are fairly common. Some have a flow sensing switch that turns the booster pump on when flow starts but require that their be enough flow at the lower pressure to accommodate what you need at the higher pressure. For a low flow & low pressure (more common), you would need an accumulator tank of sufficient volume to cover your shower needs in additions to the pressure boosting pump.

(another) Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Teeder1 If you are outside changing from city water to tanks once or twice or more a day, you might be better off just running off your tanks completely and using the city water for refills. A lot less hassle.
          2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Teeder1

Would your seasonal park be amenable to a booster pump outside your RV, connected to their water supply? These systems are fairly common. Some have a flow sensing switch that turns the booster pump on when flow starts but require that their be enough flow at the lower pressure to accommodate what you need at the higher pressure. For a low flow & low pressure (more common), you would need an accumulator tank of sufficient volume to cover your shower needs in additions to the pressure boosting pump.

(another) Rob
            Now that (another) Rob brings it up, for a long-term site I would second this approach.

Rob
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
            X