Drain Hot Water Tank - Without Pulling the Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Hot Water Tank - Without Pulling the Plug

I've mentioned that I drain the hot water tank without pulling the drain plug. I now know why it works (on my '19 315RLTS--your camper may be different!).

At the bottom of this post is a basic diagram of the hot water system. The rest of this text will reference it.

Normally cold water flows through the blue line into the tank and hot water exits the tank (through the check valve) to the camper faucets upon demand. The Temperature and Pressure (T&P) valve is closed during normal operation. The T&P valve's purpose is it relieves excess temperature and pressure in a water heater if either reaches a critical point. A water heater is a closed system, and thermal expansion is an inescapable fact of both normal and abnormal water heater functioning. (https://www.thespruce.com/tandp-reli...heater-1825057)

To drain the heater:
    1) Ensure that the gas or electric setting on the hot water heater is off
    2) Disconnect city water from the camper and ensure the pump is off
    3) Remove pressure from the camper's water system by opening a hot and cold faucet in the camper
    4) Set the Nautilus panel set to Dry Camping but turn the red handle to the 9 o'clock position to isolate the hot water input water line.
    -- This keeps the hot water heater from filling back up when the pump is turned on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Modified Settings.JPG Views:	0 Size:	44.4 KB ID:	19621

5) Open the blue (cold water) low point drain under the trailer
    6) Open the T&P valve on the hot water heater (to let air in).
    -- The water heater will drain completely, courtesy of Sir Isaac Newton (gravity). I've replaced the OEM's plugs in the low point drains with 1/4 turn valves, so opening the drain is quick and easy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Drain Valve.JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.4 KB ID:	19620
    7) When the water stops flowing close the T&P valve and close the low point drain.

I've drained the hot water heater many, many times this way before starting a travel day. By draining the water it eliminates ~50 pounds of weight on the forward street side tire, the one carrying the most weight, on my 315RLTS.

Anticipating the questions:
    a) The previously mentioned website states, Water heater manufacturers recommend regular checking of the T & P valve. To date the regular "checking" of the T&P valve on my water heater hasn't caused an issue. Obviously that is anecdotal at best, so YMMV.

b) Air will not enter through the hot water outlet on the unit because of the check valve. Opening a hot water faucet in the camper won't work--if air can't get in water won't flow out. (The valve's purpose is to keep water from flowing back into the water heater.)
    As always, consider your own risk tolerance before duplicating what you read on the internet.

-Howard

Click image for larger version  Name:	Diagram Of Lines.JPG Views:	0 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	19619
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Thank you. I know this is old post, but just found it. Tried tonight and it worked. Now no more worries about plastic cap.
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS 2012 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD SRW Soon to be retired

Comment

Originally posted by Riley8141 View Post
      Thank you. I know this is old post, but just found it. Tried tonight and it worked. Now no more worries about plastic cap.
      You're welcome. Noted that was your first post so please check out the Welcome Letter here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
      X