Dry Camping Water Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Camping Water Issues

Two weekends ago we dry camped for the first time. We turned the nautilus panel to city fill for the tank and filled the water tank. Then off we went for a 3 day camping weekend. When we got to the location and setup everything and put the nautilus system into dry camp mode. We turned the water pump switch on via the panel inside the camper. Two things happened the pump would not shut off and we could not get a steady stream of water for the life of us. The water would spit and sputter out of every faucet we had. It was hard to do dishes or even take a shower. So we went to the store and bought gallon jugs to do the dishes and to bath our 2 year old daughter. When we got home we took it into the RV repair place telling them the issue. We got it back last Thursday and once again we decided to take it to dry camp. We figured all was fixed since we just spent $400 to have it fixed. We filled it up using the Nautilus panel directions and off we went. Once again it seems like there is a bunch of air in the the lines and it spit and sputtered the entire time we were camping. So once again we got gallon jugs of water to do the dishes and to bath. I don't understand why I can't get a steady stream of water. I have had it in the past in other campers when we dry camped. Am I doing something wrong with filling or the setup after we get to the dry camp location?

Is there anything special that you do when you switch from city to dry camping. We have been trying to use the dry camping but when we are on it our water spits and sputters and we can't shower. It sounds like when you use your dry camp you have a steady stream of water to shower with. Can you give me the process you use to fill your tank and then what you do to switch to dry camp?

Dana

Moderator note: This second post was originally in a different thread. Moved here so conversation is in one place. -Howard
    Last edited by howson; 05-26-2020, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanaT_2017 Solitude 377MB View Post
      Is there anything special that you do when you switch from city to dry camping. We have been trying to use the dry camping but when we are on it our water spits and sputters and we can't shower. It sounds like when you use your dry camp you have a steady stream of water to shower with. Can you give me the process you use to fill your tank and then what you do to switch to dry camp?

Dana
      Dana,
      I'll refrain from guessing about the plumbing issue as I'm not as proficient in this area as many other members of the forum. My purpose in responding is to let you in on two forum tricks to use to make sure the "you" in a post gets to the person you're addressing.

The first is to use the QUOTE function (like I just did) so the individual being addressed gets a notification (like you should have just gotten).

The other way is to use a "tag". To do that, use the @ followed by the members forum name. Like this: Cate&Rob . (Rob's super smart on plumbing stuff, so that's why I tagged him.)

Either Rob or someone else will be along shortly with suggestions.

​​​​​​​Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Two weekends ago we dry camped for the first time. We turned the nautilus panel to city fill for the tank and filled the water tank. Then off we went for a 3 day camping weekend. When we got to the location and setup everything and put the nautilus system into dry camp mode. We turned the water pump switch on via the panel inside the camper. Two things happened the pump would not shut off and we could not get a steady stream of water for the life of us. The water would spit and sputter out of every faucet we had. It was hard to do dishes or even take a shower. So we went to the store and bought gallon jugs to do the dishes and to bath our 2 year old daughter. When we got home we took it into the RV repair place telling them the issue. We got it back last Thursday and once again we decided to take it to dry camp. We figured all was fixed since we just spent $400 to have it fixed. We filled it up using the Nautilus panel directions and off we went. Once again it seems like there is a bunch of air in the the lines and it spit and sputtered the entire time we were camping. So once again we got gallon jugs of water to do the dishes and to bath. I don't understand why I can't get a steady stream of water. I have had it in the past in other campers when we dry camped. Am I doing something wrong with filling or the setup after we get to the dry camp location?
        Hi Dana--I combined your two posts (in different threads) into this one thread. Better here on it's own.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Dana
          Hi Dana,

Water pressure should be just as good (or better) on the "dry camping" water pump as it is on "city" water pressure. We can help you figure this out. From your description (so far) I would guess that you have an air leak into the intake side of your pump. Could this be from how you are setting your Nautilus panel valves?

Post pictures if you can . . . this helps a lot!

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Dana,

Water pressure should be just as good (or better) on the "dry camping" water pump as it is on "city" water pressure. We can help you figure this out. From your description (so far) I would guess that you have an air leak into the intake side of your pump. Could this be from how you are setting your Nautilus panel valves?

Post pictures if you can . . . this helps a lot!

Rob
            Rob--moved your post here, too.

Howard

Comment

Dana

Moderator note: This second post was originally in a different thread. Moved here so conversation is in one place. -Howard
              I generally do not put much faith in the level sensors, but in the interest of troubleshooting, when you get to the site and get setup, does the fresh water tank read full? Could be your water is siphoning out while you make the trip from where you fill to where you camp. Another question would be when you fill the tank, after it is full (I assume you fill until water comes out the overflow), try it on dry camping right away and see if it works without the sputtering.

Also out of curiosity what did the dealer find wrong when you had it in for service?

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Question - you say you fill it up at home, but how much water did you have when you got to your destination? Some folks have reported major water loss when traveling. Did you happen to check the water level. Second - in front of the pump is a filter screen (bowl shaped) Be sure the clear bowl is up on this filter. I don't know why but folks have reported the issue you describe if the bowl is facing down. Next time you fill at home, switch over to dry camping before leaving and try it at home first.

Last - go back to your dealer and get you $400 back.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Another possibility. If the pump is allowed to run when the valves are set to City Water or Power Fill, it will suck it's inlet hose flat. The hose will tend to stay that way severely restricting the flow through it.
                  'Always' ensure the pump is off when changing valve settings.
                  -Rob-
                  -
                  Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
                  2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
                  2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
                  Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Okay to answer some of the questions.

We fill at home with the water pump off.
                    We have not tried to fill the tank and then go to dry camping. To see if we have the same issue. We have to wait until we fix the shower because my husband fell in the shower and broke the line going from the shower head to the valves. (any idea where I can buy that part and not at the dealer I got it from? Dealer is freaking clueless and extremely expensive).
                    When we get to the site it still said that we had over half a tank full of water.
                    We do not have a clear bowl in front of the water pump. It was removed at some point and just sitting on the floor by the pump (we bought the trailer used from General RV).
                    We fill the tank until it comes out the overflow.

Supposedly they told me that the $400 was to fix the melted wires that went to the water heater and the reason that the water heater would not work on electric but only worked on propane.

Comment

Comment

Okay to answer some of the questions.

We fill at home with the water pump off.
                        We have not tried to fill the tank and then go to dry camping. To see if we have the same issue. We have to wait until we fix the shower because my husband fell in the shower and broke the line going from the shower head to the valves. (any idea where I can buy that part and not at the dealer I got it from? Dealer is freaking clueless and extremely expensive).
                        When we get to the site it still said that we had over half a tank full of water.
                        We do not have a clear bowl in front of the water pump. It was removed at some point and just sitting on the floor by the pump (we bought the trailer used from General RV).
                        We fill the tank until it comes out the overflow.

Supposedly they told me that the $400 was to fix the melted wires that went to the water heater and the reason that the water heater would not work on electric but only worked on propane.
                        Thank you for the answers, that paints a better (but unfortunately more difficult to fix) picture.

A few thoughts:

The sensors are usually pretty unreliable, but of them all I trust the fresh tank ones the most. Reading above a half it should obviously not sputter. For what its worth it should still read full, so you might have some siphoning going on that you might want to look at, but that is not your immediate problem. Just to rule out the sensors I would be curious if it works on dry camping fine at home right after you fill the tank when you know it is full, but I would think it probably should.

Assuming there really is plenty of water in the tank I think you are probably looking at an air leak on the input side of the pump as Rob suggested. If you can access your pump it should be pretty easy to trace back the line from the pump into the rats nest that is the Nautilus panel. Check all those fittings and see if any are loose.

If they were working on the electrical side of the water heater, then that would not affect your pressure problem. If that is all they wrote up, then my guess would be they did nothing about that issue and only focused on the water heater issue.

As for the broken shower head its a common part and available on Amazon. If you broke what I think you did then I would think you will need to replace the whole assembly, like this possibly?

https://www.amazon.com/Dura-Faucet-D...0613392&sr=8-8

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

On our Imagine, the pump will run continuously (and sputter) unless I alternate the kitchen sink faucet, bathroom vanity and the shower valves, both hot and cold to purge all the air out of the lines. With air being compressible, the pump can never achieve cutoff pressure unless I go through this bleeding process. I've not had to bleed the outside water taps in doing this. Once the air is bled out, the water pressure will pick up and the pump will cycle off.

Jim

Comment

In regards to the clear bowl on the water pump. If yours is just laying on the floor and not attached to the water pump where it belongs then you will either have water pumping out on the floor or no water at all. With out the bowl attached the water pump would be sucking air and no water. This would be a great place to start.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We have to wait until we fix the shower because my husband fell in the shower and broke the line going from the shower head to the valves. (any idea where I can buy that part and not at the dealer I got it from? Dealer is freaking clueless and extremely expensive).
                              If it's the "line" (hose) itself that is broken, and not the connection on either the faucet end or the shower head end, then you'll find lots of choices at Home Depot or other hardware stores. The threaded ends are pretty standard - I got a really nice long one at Home Depot, less stiff and longer than the factory one.

This is at least part of your problem, quite possibly the whole problem with your sputtering faucets. That little clear bowl needs to be screwed onto its fitting on one side of your pump. Check it for cracks first - if cracked replace it - and then screw on tight but not too tight.

Good luck.
                              Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X