Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Tank Drain Extension

Cate&Rob ,
    Any updates to this installation or something you'd do different with the benefit of hindsight? It's been ~ 3 years since the below was posted "elsewhere". Installing an extension is on my "To Do" list.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Extension.JPG Views:	244 Size:	126.5 KB ID:	19952
    Last edited by howson; 12-02-2020, 08:03 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

howson
    Hi Howard,

The fresh water tank drain continues to work well . . . the pull handle, not so much.

I cobbled together the pull cable from parts-on-hand (and spent way too much time fabricating the attachment to the existing pull handle) I found that it would always pull open the valve, but I would have to crawl under there anyway to push the valve handle the last 1/4" to completely closed. I was going to up-grade the pull cable using one of my removed gate valve cables, but realized that when I want to drain this tank, the slide is usually out and I have to crawl under there anyway. With the draining water directed away, under the trailer stays dry and reaching the pull handle or reaching the valve is about the same. So, I have removed the pull cable contraption.

I most often use the adapter to a garden hose and drain away from the trailer that way. Either to the street if I am sanitizing or to the lawn if it is just water. I have used the adapter to a sewer hose once or twice . . . at a campsite, if the sewer hose happens to be out already. I am usually draining this tank at home. To do this again. I would probably go with a permanently installed garden hose connection.

If it works on your trailer, to get the drain hose connection to a location not under a slide, it might be worth reconsidering the remote pull handle idea, using a proper gate valve pull cable. Fabrication of attachment to the handle and bracketry to secure the cable jacket would still be required. Another idea that I have considered is an electric gate valve.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, I STILL think you need to add some food coloring to your water tank and when you're at a campground, pull the handle and start screaming, "Oh God no!"
      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
      2020 Momentum 351M
      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
        Rob, I STILL think you need to add some food coloring to your water tank and when you're at a campground, pull the handle and start screaming, "Oh God no!"
        And Curtis . . .as I recall, this is not the first time that you have come up with "idea" .

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Nope...I'm going to keep pushing it until it gets implemented..With Cate taking video of course.
          Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
          2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
          2020 Momentum 351M
          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Instead of having the pull cable could you just add a gate valve at the outlet?

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Brian
              Hmmm . . . I never though of that! Good idea.

And, now that you have me thinking about other possibilities . . . an elbow to a (removable) short vertical pipe could be used to gravity fill the water tank without needing to use the onboard pump.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hmmm . . . I never though of that! Good idea.

And, now that you have me thinking about other possibilities . . . an elbow to a (removable) short vertical pipe could be used to gravity fill the water tank without needing to use the onboard pump.

Rob
                See a squirrel finds a nut once and a while

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian
                  To my great surprise the gate valve on my water tank is screwed on! It came off very easily.

I didn't get to the extension part of the project today (will post shortly in my thread what I got done) but I've discounted the idea of moving the gate valve downstream due to potential cold weather issues. There's a heat vent that blows directly on the water tank to keep it from freezing up, By moving the gate valve, there will be water in (relatively) small pipes susceptible to freezing.

At least that's the conclusion I came to today while lying on my back staring at this setup and playing with the valve. (It's FANTASTIC that the valve unscrews from the water tank. It will be super easy to replace if necessary.)

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	Heat Right On Tank.JPG
Views:	578
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	20004
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I think this is better place to document how I extended the water tank valve handle than my other thread. (I'll reference this post in my thread.)

What I did was unscrew the handle from the valve shaft, install a nut coupler, a threaded rod, and then the handle again. The threaded rod is protected by a piece of 3/8" pex. The assembly is supported by eye bolts which are supported by a 11.5" piece of aluminum screwed into the gap between the frame and skirt.

Name:	Here is the handle.JPG
Views:	548
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	20008

Name:	Handle is accessible.JPG
Views:	656
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	20009

The pex slides forward and rearward through the eye bolts when the handle is pushed or pulled. I adjusted the eye bolts until there was very little resistance. In fact, to get this what I did was leave the threaded rod-to-nut coupler junction disconnected and adjusted the eye bolts until the thread lined up perfectly with the nut coupler. Then with a dab of blue lock tight on the threads, I screwed it together. Works perfectly--no crawling under the trailer to pull the handle.

Name:	Handle Extension Side View.JPG
Views:	593
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	20010

I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Cate&Rob will note the handle is under the bedroom slide, and of course he's right. I considered his input and looked at multiple options, but in the end I decided on keeping it relatively simple.

The dump extension and overflow valve are still a work in progress.

Name:	materials.JPG
Views:	551
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	20007

Comment

If you decide to glue an extension to this gate valve, you need to have the right glue. ABS is black and PVC is white. In “the north” drain parts are commonly available in ABS but not PVC. There is glue to bond ABS to PVC. In Florida, you can probably find the fittings you need in PVC. ABS is not allowed in potable water supply, so would have to be “outside” the gate valve.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        If you decide to glue an extension to this gate valve, you need to have the right glue. ABS is black and PVC is white. In “the north” drain parts are commonly available in ABS but not PVC. There is glue to bond ABS to PVC. In Florida, you can probably find the fittings you need in PVC. ABS is not allowed in potable water supply, so would have to be “outside” the gate valve.

Rob
                        This is what I was going to use--it looks OK? Only issue is this glue bonds PVC together almost instantly. When the pipes stop moving together--that's it. They won't move again. If the position is not right the only option is cutting it out.

Name:	Rain Shine 2.JPG
Views:	519
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	20020Click image for larger version

Name:	Rain Shine.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	20021

Comment

Howard

Could you please add some info on the "gate valve is screwed to the tank"?.

I had noticed once that mine turned when I pulled the valve open and was not sure why and did not check any further.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Howard

Could you please add some info on the "gate valve is screwed to the tank"?.

I had noticed once that mine turned when I pulled the valve open and was not sure why and did not check any further.

Brian
                            Where the arrow is pointing is a threaded connection. The tank has female threads. There's a male threaded adapter glued to the valve. Grab the valve body and unscrew it from the tank--it comes off with little effort. (I was contemplating how to run the dump line for the tank and it dawned on me to try and move the valve. That's when I discovered it removes easily, but as previously mentioned I've discounted the idea of moving the valve.)

Name:	Tank Has Female Threads.JPG
Views:	549
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	20024

Comment

howson

PVC and it’s glue are OK for potable water. Since you are not moving the gate valve, you could go to ABS like the rest of the drain systems, but you need a special glue for the transition from PVC to ABS. For some reason, Florida has drain fittings in PVC whereas in northern states (and Canada) these fittings are available in ABS.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X