Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    howson

PVC and it’s glue are OK for potable water. Since you are not moving the gate valve, you could go to ABS like the rest of the drain systems, but you need a special glue for the transition from PVC to ABS. For some reason, Florida has drain fittings in PVC whereas in northern states (and Canada) these fittings are available in ABS.

Rob
    Unfortunately I am completely ignorant (as in "have no knowledge of") any plumbing fixtures that are "ABS". I see "PVC" when I go into Lowes, I know now about PEX (compression fittings) and Sharkbite (press to connect) fittings, but not a clue what you're referencing regarding ABS.

Can you point me to a good website that will give me an "ABS 101" to read?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Unfortunately I am completely ignorant (as in "have no knowledge of") any plumbing fixtures that are "ABS". I see "PVC" when I go into Lowes, I know now about PEX (compression fittings) and Sharkbite (press to connect) fittings, but not a clue what you're referencing regarding ABS.

Can you point me to a good website that will give me an "ABS 101" to read?
      ABS is a black thin wall plastic pipe. Slightly different chemical structure than PVC as I recall. My Canadian in laws are frequently perplexed that we don’t use it here. And central vacuums. And romex. And many other things lol.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

howson
        Hi Howard,

ABS is the black plastic pipe and fittings used for all the drains and vent stacks in our RVs. It is common in lots of residential plumbing, but I have noticed that it is not carried in plumbing stores in Florida. I assume that this has something to do with Florida building codes. If you go into a Home Depot in Indiana (and probably other states) or in Canada, the bins and racks are full of black ABS fittings and piping for drain construction. In a Home Depot in Florida, these same bins are full of white PVC fittings and piping.

If you Google ABS vs PVC, there is a lot of information. Following are excerpts from one of those discussions.

"The two most common types of plastic pipe, Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) and Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC), have small differences depending on the use, but the main difference is that ABS pipe contains BPA while PVC does not. Bisphenol A is a chemical used in many types of plastic, and there are conflicts about its level of harm towards humans or animals.

ABS is always black while PVC is white - easy way to see the difference quickly. PVC piping offers more flexibility, but ABS is a stronger piping and can resist a higher shock. For underground, ABS is great as it can handle extreme cold and can warp if it is in direct sunlight. For inside your home, PVC may be better as it can be soundproof and muffles the sound of water. Price wise, the two types are often similar.

Another difference occurs in the installation process. ABS piping is connected through special cement, a one step process, while PVC piping must be primed before cemented together, a two step process. Since the primer can be messy and takes time to dry, this can add more time to your project. Due to this, ABS can sometimes be more cost effective as it does reduce labour costs."

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          howson
          Hi Howard,

ABS is the black plastic pipe and fittings used for all the drains and vent stacks in our RVs. It is common in lots of residential plumbing, but I have noticed that it is not carried in plumbing stores in Florida. I assume that this has something to do with Florida building codes. If you go into a Home Depot in Indiana (and probably other states) or in Canada, the bins and racks are full of black ABS fittings and piping for drain construction. In a Home Depot in Florida, these same bins are full of white PVC fittings and piping.

If you Google ABS vs PVC, there is a lot of information. Following are excerpts from one of those discussions.

"The two most common types of plastic pipe, Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) and Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC), have small differences depending on the use, but the main difference is that ABS pipe contains BPA while PVC does not. Bisphenol A is a chemical used in many types of plastic, and there are conflicts about its level of harm towards humans or animals.

ABS is always black while PVC is white - easy way to see the difference quickly. PVC piping offers more flexibility, but ABS is a stronger piping and can resist a higher shock. For underground, ABS is great as it can handle extreme cold and can warp if it is in direct sunlight. For inside your home, PVC may be better as it can be soundproof and muffles the sound of water. Price wise, the two types are often similar.

Another difference occurs in the installation process. ABS piping is connected through special cement, a one step process, while PVC piping must be primed before cemented together, a two step process. Since the primer can be messy and takes time to dry, this can add more time to your project. Due to this, ABS can sometimes be more cost effective as it does reduce labour costs."

Rob
          Thanks, Rob. Never dawned on me that the drain pipes are indeed black and that they are different from PVC (not just a color difference). I learned something! Always a good day when I learn something new.

Interestingly, the valve has a white PVC adapter glued to it, not black ABS, by the OEM.

Comment

I didn't know there is a PVC to ABS transition cement for a connecting the 2 besides using a rubber coupling:
            Nibco ABS Guide
            Last edited by gbkims; 05-30-2020, 08:50 AM.
            Gene and Kim
            2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
            2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

gbkims
              Hi Gene,
              See attached . . .
              Rob
              Attached Files
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I got the extension done today. What a nuisance it is working with PVC! The blue cement sets fast. One mistake and that's it--start over. The cashier at Ace Hardware and I are now on a first-name basis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Extension is Here.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	20094

All of the PVC is cemented together except for the valve-to-extension junction. I decided to leave this to just friction so if I have to remove the extension for some reason it will be easy to remove everything.

Name:	No Glue.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	20095
                The structure is very secure. It does not move! I had to get creative to figure out how to secure it since I could not find an off-the-shelf solution for a PVC pipe hanger--at least not in any of the local stores I frequent.

Name:	Solid.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	20096

Name:	Creative.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	20097

Standard hose fitting on the drain end.

Name:	Cap.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	20098

I left it white so it's (hopefully) obvious to the Curts (OffToHavasu) in the world that it's not gray or black water coming out of the outlet.

Thanks for the idea, Rob (Cate&Rob).

Howard

P.S. Due to where I had to put the plumbing, admittedly my first thought was, "Well, if ever something was going to get broken off the camper this is it!". As always, I'll let you know if there are unintended consequences. (Another reason I didn't cement the extension to the water tank drain valve!)

Comment

LOL Howard that looks amazing...talk about overkill! I don't think you'll have to worry about breaking it off on something, I pity whatever you hit with it!
                  Jeff
                  2019 Solitude 375 RES
                  2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

howson, do you use this to drain and fill, or just drain?
                    2022 Reflection 150 series 260RD
                    2015 F150, Air Lift air bag system. B&W Patriot 16k

Comment

Drain. Fill is done via the Nautilus panel.

Comment

Working...
                      X