No announcement yet.

DSI Fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a proactive measure, I ordered the Dino board (around $115, including tax). Amazon said that it would arrive on July 7, which is one day after we are leaving for a one-week trip. Hoping that the board from Dometic would arrive prior to our departure, I figured that I could have the Dino as a backup. I also sent them an email message, through their website, explaining the situation.

I received a return email, less than 24 hours later, stating, “Tom, This is going to be a long diagnosis. You're better off calling us during our business hours at (541) 994-4344.” Good deal. I called the number from the email response and, guess what? No auto “if this, then hit 1, if that, hit 2... A fellow named Joe answered on the second ring. When is that last time you called for customer service and immediately spoke with a human on the other end of the line?

Joe asked a couple of questions, including what had I done so far, and I told him. He had me get out my meter and give him several voltage measurements from the pins on the side of the board. After checking out a couple of other things, he explained that the board was bad and would need to be replaced. I let him know that I had two on the way, one from Dometic and one from his company. He walked me though exactly how to replace the bad one and asked that I call him back if I have any questions or problems with the swap.

Follow-up: The board has now arrived from Dino and I’ve installed it. Hot water on the first try, and it also works on propane now.

Kudos to DinoBoards for outstanding customer service.
    Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post
      As a proactive measure, I ordered the Dino board (around $115, including tax). Amazon said that it would arrive on July 7, which is one day after we are leaving for a one-week trip. Hoping that the board from Dometic would arrive prior to our departure, I figured that I could have the Dino as a backup. I also sent them an email message, through their website, explaining the situation.

I received a return email, less than 24 hours later, stating, “Tom, This is going to be a long diagnosis. You're better off calling us during our business hours at (541) 994-4344.” Good deal. I called the number from the email response and, guess what? No auto “if this, then hit 1, if that, hit 2... A fellow named Joe answered on the second ring. When is that last time you called for customer service and immediately spoke with a human on the other end of the line?

Joe asked a couple of questions, including what had I done so far, and I told him. He had me get out my meter and give him several voltage measurements from the pins on the side of the board. After checking out a couple of other things, he explained that the board was bad and would need to be replaced. I let him know that I had two on the way, one from Dometic and one from his company. He walked me though exactly how to replace the bad one and asked that I call him back if I have any questions or problems with the swap.

Follow-up: The board has now arrived from Dino and I’ve installed it. Hot water on the first try, and it also works on propane now.

Kudos to DinoBoards for outstanding customer service.
      They’rea great company, I’ve troubleshot a couple furnaces and water heaters for friends and they’ve always been great to help even if it does not have their board yet, and they’re not afraid to tell you if it’s not the board and then don’t get a sale. Glad it worked out for you.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        The most common reason for a DSI fault is no propane. Is the tank on? Have you recently changed a tank which might have allowed air into the lines? Turn on the stove burners to purge any air from the lines and to confirm that there is propane in the supply line.

Rob
        Having a similar issue I did a search and found this thread. We experienced a somewhat similar situation after removing and refilling both propane tanks, although until reading this thread I didn't know the problem may be related. In our case the DSI fault indicator flashes once very briefly then goes out, but, when I have either the propane or the electric mode already selected then switch on the other heat source it doesn't flash at all. In either case we always had plenty of hot water. So after reading this thread I'm thinking it may be a good idea to carry a spare board. I looked at the photo of the Dino board that was posted here and it looks considerably different than mine. Great forum we have here !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RLB348 View Post

Having a similar issue I did a search and found this thread. We experienced a somewhat similar situation after removing and refilling both propane tanks, although until reading this thread I didn't know the problem may be related. In our case the DSI fault indicator flashes once very briefly then goes out, but, when I have either the propane or the electric mode already selected then switch on the other heat source it doesn't flash at all. In either case we always had plenty of hot water. So after reading this thread I'm thinking it may be a good idea to carry a spare board. I looked at the photo of the Dino board that was posted here and it looks considerably different than mine. Great forum we have here !!!!
          I’d think that is normal behavior. It flashes when powering up and turns off once the heater lights. In your case where is already been on, the water is already hot, so when you switch it on the thermostat does not call for the water heater to run, so no flash off the light.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I recently purchased a 2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE and have taken it out twice.

On both trips I am getting a DSI fault on my control panel no matter what mode I put the water heater in. It comes on after awhile if I use electric or gas. I have hot water so the water heater is working. I have checked that the gas igniter is working when the gas is switched on. I've verified that the gas is flowing by turning on the stove and the refrigerator. I tried resetting by powering off the water heater and powering it back on without any luck.

The water heater is a Atwood GC6AA-10E according to the paper work I received with the camper.

From researching the problem, I suspect something is wrong with the thermostat and ECO mode is getting tripped because the water is getting too hot.

Could this be the control board or the thermostat? How hard are they to replace on my own? I'd rather not have to drag my trailer to the dealer for something I can easily fix myself.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Could be the control board. That’s what my issue was. I’’d suggest calling the Dino folks, at (541) 994-4344. They were great when I called. The tech ran me through a few tests, measuring voltage at different points, and diagnosed a bad board. I had another one in the mail less than a week later, and have had no problems since. It was quite easy to install myself, and I”m glad that I didn’t have to take it to the dealer, who is about two hours from here.

If it’s not the board, he’ll be able to tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by moodan View Post
                From researching the problem, I suspect something is wrong with the thermostat and ECO mode is getting tripped because the water is getting too hot. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
                From reading about the E.C.O. switch my impression is if it opens it stays open until reset (or replaced). So I doubt the ECO is the issue. Thermostat? Not sure.

Given the history of control boards, Tom in PGH has given good advice. Call the dino folks.

An option is to call Dometic (https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/rebranded/atwood) and see if they will help you troubleshoot and/or replace parts under warranty https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/support

Should it come down to replacement of the board, this thread may help: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...rd-replacement

Please post back with the resolution.

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

If you have a trip planned in the near future and need hot water, you might not want to wait on Dometic. When I say “wait”, I did it twice. The first time was sitting in the campground, without internet, wondering what to do. A call to Grand Design only got me a phone number to Dometic. After 97 minutes on hold, then chatting with a customer service rep, I was promised a replacement board. I decided to order a Dino as a back-up, as we were heading home, then back out again. I thought the Dometic would probably arrive first, and I would have the Dino board as a backup. The Dino board arrived first, from all the way across the country (they are literally on the Pacific Coast, in Lincoln City, Oregon). I replaced the board and we were back in business. We headed out on our trip, got back home and, finally, after forgetting about the Dometic board, it arrived weeks later in the mail. This was the second long wait on Dometic. I’m just glad that I’d had the foresight to order the board from Dino or we would have been in a pickle.

Needless to say, I’m not sold on Dometic’s customer service at this point. I put their board in the spare parts bin, in case it’s needed at some later date.

Comment

My Son in Law found this post and it answered almost all my questions and gave me solution to fix my hot water problem. I have ordered dinosaur parts and should be fine there after. My problem was/is DSI fault on electric. I do not run my WH on gas unless I have to so the dsi fault came as quite a shock. No pun intended. I just joined the forum and look forward to reading all the posts as I have a lot of how to and what to do catching up to do. Thank you all.

Comment

Originally posted by GF Bales View Post
                      My Son in Law found this post and it answered almost all my questions and gave me solution to fix my hot water problem. I have ordered dinosaur parts and should be fine there after. My problem was/is DSI fault on electric. I do not run my WH on gas unless I have to so the dsi fault came as quite a shock. No pun intended. I just joined the forum and look forward to reading all the posts as I have a lot of how to and what to do catching up to do. Thank you all.
                      Welcome to the forum. Please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

DSI fault on electric? That's a odd failure! As you may (or may not) know, DSI stands for Direct Spark Ignition. The only time that light is supposed to have power is when the propane side is powered on. If I'm interpreting your post correctly, the DSI light lit with the GAS (water heater) switch OFF and the ELECTRIC side ON?

Dinosaur is a great company--I'm sure you'll be happy with the new board.

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by GF Bales View Post
                        When I had this problem with the DSI light coming on for both Gas and Electric, I found that the thermostat type device on the outside of the tank had become unseated and was not touching tank. Thus, the heater kept running until it overheated. If your water is getting hot and then the light comes on, it could be the thermostat is not properly seated against the tank.
                        Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
                        2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
                        2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Thank you for your reply and yes once I saw what DSI meant I was more than confused. I could often change over to LP and have things work for a while but it has gotten steadily worse so this forum was a lifesaver.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post

When I had this problem with the DSI light coming on for both Gas and Electric, I found that the thermostat type device on the outside of the tank had become unseated and was not touching tank. Thus, the heater kept running until it overheated. If your water is getting hot and then the light comes on, it could be the thermostat is not properly seated against the tank.
                            That's even more bizarre of a malfunction. The DSI light should only stay on after the gas attempts (on modern circuit boards) three times to light. There's a device called an electrode that is literally in the center of the flame. When the gas lights, the electrode senses it and informs the circuit board that ignition has commenced. The DSI literally has nothing to do with an overtemp.

GF Bales -- glad this forum was helpful.

Howard

Comment

I would buy a Dino board as a spare but last I checked they were not potted.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                                I would buy a Dino board as a spare but last I checked they were not potted.

Jim
                                True statement, but I have yet to read of a failure due to the lack of potting on a Dinosaur board. What the board does come with is a protective cover (at least mine did). I've had no issues with the UIB 64 board since it was installed back in July of 2019. (Replaced the original due to the many failures at the time of the OEM boards.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Installed Board.JPG
Views:	856
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	71595

Comment

Working...
                                X