Sewer Hoses Damaged by HIgh Winds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer Hoses Damaged by HIgh Winds

As we're going to be in our current park for three months I went ahead and hooked up sewer hoses for both our front and rear drains on arrival. Everything was fine for thee first month and then on Thursday night we were hit by thunderstorms with winds of 60 to 70 mph. Friday when I went to drain the grey tank the hoses looked like sprinkler hoses. Fortunately I discovered the problem with the grey water and not black. My theory is that the winds had caught the empty hoses and whipped them around enough to tear the plastic between the coils. Lesson learned; when high winds are forecast, store the sewer hoses. BTW, the power cord and the water supply hose, which was full of water appeared to be unaffected by the wind.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

JBill9694
    Hi John,

My experience with this is that extended exposure to sunlight causes the sewer hose material to get brittle. I had a similar experience when shifting the location of a sewer hose that had been sitting in the Florida sun for months. It cracked in many places between the coils, all at the same time. I can see how a brittle sewer hose bounced around by the wind would do the same thing.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yes, Cate&Rob, the hoses were not new and I'm sure this contributed to the factor. Still as a good habit I plan to store the hoses, new and old, when high winds are forecasted.
      John
      2018 Momentum 395M
      2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Thanks for sharing. That's something I would never have thought of.
        2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Many people at the FL park we stay at slide the sewer hose through PVC. This protects it from the sun, lawn equipment, misc neighbor kids playing antics, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
            Many people at the FL park we stay at slide the sewer hose through PVC. This protects it from the sun, lawn equipment, misc neighbor kids playing antics, etc.
            Yep, got that too. I primarily use the gutter for the rear toilet.

When we first started out 2+ years ago I didn't know about the gutter trick and bought an accordion style hose support. Now that I have it, and it works the majority of the time, I'm too ornery (cheap) to throw it out and go to the gutter only. Maybe, someday, the accordion style hose support will break, and then I'll go to gutter only.
            John
            2018 Momentum 395M
            2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Working...
            X