Holding Tank Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding Tank Leak

Has anyone had an issue with the attached photos? We are going away this weekend and wanted to soak and clean our tanks. We filled them 1/3 to 2/3 rds full with water along with a borax and dawn solution. Our sensors are reading different levels when empty so we thought we could soak and slosh water around for the 2 1/2 hours we will be driving. We filled threw the shower, toilet and kitchen sinks for the 3 tanks. I haven't torn anything down as i just sat in a chair last night and watched it drip in disgust. Anyway we have only had this trailer for the second summer now and with everything going on at this time this is just our second trip. We have to cancel so many trips so far. Now it looks like more will have to be canceled. Extremely frustrated.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Glamping4two View Post
    Has anyone had an issue with the attached photos? We are going away this weekend and wanted to soak and clean our tanks. We filled them 1/3 to 2/3 rds full with water along with a borax and dawn solution. Our sensors are reading different levels when empty so we thought we could soak and slosh water around for the 2 1/2 hours we will be driving. We filled threw the shower, toilet and kitchen sinks for the 3 tanks. I haven't torn anything down as i just sat in a chair last night and watched it drip in disgust. Anyway we have only had this trailer for the second summer now and with everything going on at this time this is just our second trip. We have to cancel so many trips so far. Now it looks like more will have to be canceled. Extremely frustrated.
    Without the year and model in a signature line it is difficult to decipher (from the pics) what rig you own. It looks like a Momentum?

Very odd that there's what looks like a pinhole in the coroplast. Was it already there? The way water travels there's no telling where the leak is located.

I empathize with your situation.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Glamping4two
      With more details about which Grand Design model you have, we may be able to offer more specific information.

In any case . . . it appears that you have water in the underbelly . . . which means that the coroplast underbelly covering material needs to come off, to dry things out and to find the source of the leak. Some Grand Design models have fibreglass batt insulation on top of the coroplast which acts like a sponge absorbing water. If this is the case, this insulation will probably need to be replaced. The source of the leak could be a number of things. A displaced vent grommet on the top of a tank (since you were sloshing liquid around inside) to a gate valve seal problem. If you remove the aft wall in the pass through storage, you may be able to see at least some of the vent pipe grommets in the tanks.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Glamping4two
        With more details about which Grand Design model you have, we may be able to offer more specific information.

In any case . . . it appears that you have water in the underbelly . . . which means that the coroplast underbelly covering material needs to come off, to dry things out and to find the source of the leak. Some Grand Design models have fibreglass batt insulation on top of the coroplast which acts like a sponge absorbing water. If this is the case, this insulation will probably need to be replaced. The source of the leak could be a number of things. A displaced vent grommet on the top of a tank (since you were sloshing liquid around inside) to a gate valve seal problem. If you remove the aft wall in the pass through storage, you may be able to see at least some of the vent pipe grommets in the tanks.

Rob
        I haven't gone anywhere yet. I mentioned in my post that we are going this weekend. Its a 2 and a half hour drive. All we did last night was fill the tanks to 1/3 or 2/3 rds full. 45 minutes later I saw a drip. Its still dripping too. We were out last weekend and all was good. Makes me sick.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Without the year and model in a signature line it is difficult to decipher (from the pics) what rig you own. It looks like a Momentum?

Very odd that there's what looks like a pinhole in the coroplast. Was it already there? The way water travels there's no telling where the leak is located.

Howard
          Its a 2019 Solitude 310 GK.

Comment

I haven't gone anywhere yet. I mentioned in my post that we are going this weekend. Its a 2 and a half hour drive. All we did last night was fill the tanks to 1/3 or 2/3 rds full. 45 minutes later I saw a drip. Its still dripping too. We were out last weekend and all was good. Makes me sick.
            This points to a low point leak from the tank drain system . . . but, it would still be worth removing the aft wall of the pass through storage to have a look around. This is easy to do with a few fasteners down each side, because this is service access for things like the water pump, converter, etc. It is possible that filling the tanks through the shower/toilet/sinks found a drain system leak above the tanks that opened up over the winter.

From the Solitude product information, (see attached) it looks like you have fibreglass batt insulation directly above the coroplast underbelly. Unfortunately, this insulation is going to have to be dried out or replaced, which almost certainly means dropping the coroplast.

Rob
            Attached Files
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Glamping4two - Does that water smell like the borax/Dawn combination ? We thought we had a fresh water leak a few years ago when taking showers. After smelling the water, (it looked clear and clean like fresh) I could smell soap. It turned out to be a shower leak at the shower door track (as many of us have had over the years) where the water ran down the side wall and dripped to the ground.

My point being, is that sometimes it may not be what we first think. Taking off your basement wall would be a highly recommended thing to do to see what water you may or may not find around the fresh water nautilus system pex pipes/fittings/etc., sewer pipes, etc.

Dan
              Dan & Carol
              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Well my son found it. Its at the pipe to tank valve connection. Let me ask does this not look right? I'm not hot home to physically look at it but that connection doesn't look right. Its also on the opposite side of the tank. I guess something is stuck or it's a bad valve.
                Attached Files

Comment

Howard
                  Take a look at my latest post.....

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

This points to a low point leak from the tank drain system . . . but, it would still be worth removing the aft wall of the pass through storage to have a look around. This is easy to do with a few fasteners down each side, because this is service access for things like the water pump, converter, etc. It is possible that filling the tanks through the shower/toilet/sinks found a drain system leak above the tanks that opened up over the winter.

From the Solitude product information, (see attached) it looks like you have fibreglass batt insulation directly above the coroplast underbelly. Unfortunately, this insulation is going to have to be dried out or replaced, which almost certainly means dropping the coroplast.

Rob
                    Rob look at my pics in my latest post..... What a crazy spot for a leak.

Comment

Take a look at my latest post.....
                      That's a gate valve connection in the picture. I'll let Rob make the diagnosis but can you say definitively if those are cracks in the ABS (the black pipe) and/or valve body?
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Rob look at my pics in my latest post..... What a crazy spot for a leak.
                        It is difficult to figure out the source of the leak, from the pictures. Best to dry off the area with a towel (or paper towels) and watch for the first appearance of water. Something curious about your pictures is that hose clamp. What is a hose clamp doing on a hard plastic to ABS connection ?? Is there any chance that the source of the water is the hose clamped connection ?

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob the leak is at the drain side of the valve. There is a drip right where GD cemented the connection to the valve. I think the valve is leaking or something is preventing it from closing. Somehow the pvc cement was apply properly.

Comment

That's a gate valve connection in the picture. I'll let Rob make the diagnosis but can you say definitively if those are cracks in the ABS (the black pipe) and/or valve body?
                            It’s the cemented side of the valve. Not enough pvc glue was applied. I also think it’s a bad valve or something from preventing it from closing.

Comment

[QUOTE=Cate&Rob;n21227]

It is difficult to figure out the source of the leak, from the pictures. Best to dry off the area with a towel (or paper towels) and watch for the first appearance of water. Something curious about your pictures is that hose clamp. What is a hose clamp doing on a hard plastic to ABS connection ?? Is there any chance that the source of the water is the hose clamped connection ?

Rob the leak is at the drain side of the valve. There is a drip right where GD cemented the connection to the valve. I think the valve is leaking or something is preventing it from closing. Somehow the pvc cement was apply properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X