Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh water tank not emptying completely.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh water tank not emptying completely.

I went to sanitize my freshwater system for the first time on my 2020 MK2670 today. I shut the city water off and used the gravity fill hose inlet to fill it. Turned the pump on and everything worked fine. When I switched back to city water connection and pulled the white drain valve for the fresh tank to empty it. Water keeps trickling out in a steady stream, and for how long I've had it open, it should have stopped. Anyone else had this problem or any ideas?
    Last edited by chrisopy; 06-18-2020, 12:44 AM.
    2020 Imagine MK2670
    2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 Gas 6.6L

This is pretty common. These plastic tanks have plenty of corners and dips that will hold a little water. Leaving the valve open while traveling is a good way to empty the tank more completely.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      This is pretty common. These plastic tanks have plenty of corners and dips that will hold a little water. Leaving the valve open while traveling is a good way to empty the tank more completely.

Brian
      I thought maybe a bad check valve on the water pump at first. I replaced my water pressure regulator as well since it was old. Don't know if this could have been a potential problem when I tried the water pump with the old one. Not leaking as much now, but I'll keep an eye on it.
      2020 Imagine MK2670

Comment

Originally posted by chrisopy View Post

I thought maybe a bad check valve on the water pump at first. I replaced my water pressure regulator as well since it was old. Don't know if this could have been a potential problem when I tried the water pump with the old one. Not leaking as much now, but I'll keep an eye on it.
        I am a little confused , not hard for me though. If you are getting water trickling out of the fresh tank when hooked to city water then yes you may have a bad check valve on the water pump. I thought you meant when draining the fresh tank water kept trickling out for a while.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I went to sanitize my freshwater system for the first time on my 2020 MK2670 today. I shut the city water off and used the gravity fill hose inlet to fill it. Turned the pump on and everything worked fine. When I switched back to city water connection and pulled the white drain valve for the fresh tank to empty it. Water keeps trickling out in a steady stream, and for how long I've had it open, it should have stopped. Anyone else had this problem or any ideas?
          Country Campers -- I interpreted the question the same way you did. Now that I've read through this thread again I suspect chrisopy is correct about the pump. This is the same symptom (water tank filling when on city water) that GDRV-Emily had on her Imagine (remember her telling us about it?). The fix was a new pump.

If the OP will call GD Customer Service it is likely that they will ship a new one directly to you if willing to swap it out yourself.

Please keep us updated!

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The pump pickup doesn't pull water from the bottom of the tank, there's a few gallons left after the pump starts sucking air. This is to keep the pump from sucking any sediment that may be in the tank.
            2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

I am a little confused , not hard for me though. If you are getting water trickling out of the fresh tank when hooked to city water then yes you may have a bad check valve on the water pump. I thought you meant when draining the fresh tank water kept trickling out for a while.

Brian
              Sorry, I should've clarified. It was trickling out when connected to city water. It seems to have resolved now after replacing the water regulator, I don't know why, and turning off the city water and trying the pump again. I've read the check valve can re-seat if trying the pump again. Not sure if that's what helped either.
              2020 Imagine MK2670

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Country Campers -- I interpreted the question the same way you did. Now that I've read through this thread again I suspect chrisopy is correct about the pump. This is the same symptom (water tank filling when on city water) that GDRV-Emily had on her Imagine (remember her telling us about it?). The fix was a new pump.

If the OP will call GD Customer Service it is likely that they will ship a new one directly to you if willing to swap it out yourself.

Please keep us updated!

Howard
                It has seemed to stop after I did the above mentioned things. I've also read I could install a check valve on the inlet side, but I wasn't sure if this would solve the problem. Looking at the manual to the pump, it's a shurflow 4008, the check valve seems to be non-serviceable. I will keep an eye on it for now. I don't dry camp much and just wanted to check it out. If it does happen again, would you recommend a new pump or installing another check valve?
                2020 Imagine MK2670

Comment

It has seemed to stop after I did the above mentioned things. I've also read I could install a check valve on the inlet side, but I wasn't sure if this would solve the problem. Looking at the manual to the pump, it's a shurflow 4008, the check valve seems to be non-serviceable. I will keep an eye on it for now. I don't dry camp much and just wanted to check it out. If it does happen again, would you recommend a new pump or installing another check valve?
                  If the check valve in the pump is bad, what will happen is while connected to city water your fresh tank will fill up (without your knowledge). There's two ways you'll figure it out--the trailer will "feel" heavy while towing or when the tank dump handle is pulled water comes out. If the tank wasn't intentionally filled it should not have any water in it.

Bottom line: if the valve on the pump is going bad, get a replacement installed (through your dealer?) or call GD Customer Service directly and they will probably ship you one (if you're willing to do the work yourself).

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by mbopp View Post
                    The pump pickup doesn't pull water from the bottom of the tank, there's a few gallons left after the pump starts sucking air. This is to keep the pump from sucking any sediment that may be in the tank.
                    Agreed that leaving a little liquid in the bottom of the tank to prevent the pump from picking up sediment is a "normal" thing to do and early GDRV products were built this way. Current production for some (I don't know about all) have a low point sump connection for power fill or pump supply which would not leave any liquid in the tank when the pump started to draw air. See attached picture.

chrisopy A check valve can certainly be held open by a piece of debris that then gets flushed away and the valve returns to proper operation.

Rob
                    Attached Files
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Agreed that leaving a little liquid in the bottom of the tank to prevent the pump from picking up sediment is a "normal" thing to do and early GDRV products were built this way. Current production for some (I don't know about all) have a low point sump connection for power fill or pump supply which would not leave any liquid in the tank when the pump started to draw air. See attached picture.

chrisopy A check valve can certainly be held open by a piece of debris that then gets flushed away and the valve returns to proper operation.

Rob
                      Thats good to know about the sump. Does anyone else look at that picture and think that vent could have one less elbow and two less clamps on it if they had just spun the fitting another 90 degrees?

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Just returned from a trip where the water pump had been pulling air prior to traveling back home. Once at home, and using a 5 gallon bucket I measured approximately 10 gallons of water from the tank drain on my 2600RB.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                          Just returned from a trip where the water pump was beginning to pull air prior to traveling back home. Once at home, and using a 5 gallon bucket I measured approximately 10 gallons of water from the tank drain on my 2600RB.

Jim
                          Wow. I have been meaning to do this test on mine. I upgraded the tank in my SOB camper I had previously. It was under the couch, which made access to swap it easy, but did not have the sump shown, so with the half inch fitting at the end of the tank, and a fairly long and wide new tank it took about an inch of water to get anything into the pump. I built a small ramp to elevate the far end, and secured the tank in place there so I could get all of the water out. I am going to be pulling my rear coroplast this week and will be curious what I see. I am toying with replacing my tank with a larger one, but maybe even one with a sump would get me more usable water.

Neil Citro
                          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro
                            Hi Neil,
                            I think the upper loop is an (ineffective) attempt to control the surge pumping overflow.

Hi Jim,
                            That is exactly what happens on my Reflection. I still have over 5 gallons of water in the tank when the pump starts drawing air. Obviously neither of our rigs have the “sump” tank shown in the picture.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob , ncitro ,

10 gallons equates to two showers and a pot of coffee. Darn.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X