Water on bedroom floor - 2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water on bedroom floor - 2020 Solitude 310GK-R

OK... I'm making myself sit down to write this while my heart rate and BP come down. We met the grandkids at a park this afternoon for a bike ride and a picnic. We got home hot and sweaty about 3:30, showered, put on some clean clothes, did some laundry and went about some other chores. It wasn't until about 9:15 or so this evening that I happened to step to the side of the bed closest to the bathroom wall (we'll call it "my side of the bed"). With the vinyl flooring in the bedroom, we keep little doormat size rugs on either side of the bed to step onto getting in and out of bed. When I finally happened to step to my side of the bed, the little doormat was soaking wet in a semicircle with the line that would be the diameter of the circle up next to the base trim of the bathroom wall. Panic!

Since this location is right on the opposite side of the wall from the bathroom sink, that was my first suspicion. I emptied out the two tubs (and a shelf) under there and everything seemed bone dry. Nothing dripping down the Pex lines to the faucet and nothing dripping from the sink drain plumbing (which would collect in the tub under it rather than going all the way to the floor, anyway). All connections are tight with no moisture detected with the faucet in the sink on or off. The floor under the sink was dry.

The bedroom ceiling between the front AC and the bedroom wall is dry and hard with no signs of moisture. The wall is dry and hard from the ceiling down to the base trim, but the base trim feels moist and slightly softer than the same trim a few feet to either side. Pulling an AC filter, I looked and felt inside the plenum... dry. I climbed on the roof with a flashlight and inspected the seating of the AC and everything looked good. Water from condensation was running across the roof and into the rain gutter where it belongs.

Remembering back to our first few nights in our Reflection 337 (nearly identical floor plan), I remember a significant leak we had along the shower door bottom rail - enough to put puddles on the bathroom floor. The 310 has a slight space between the shower "tub" and the bathroom cabinet. Putting a paper towel down in there with a long object only resulted in some dry dust and no detectable moisture. The silicone fillets in the bottom corners of the aluminum shower door frame were as poorly done as were the ones in our Reflection. I scraped out the old silicone, dried everything out with a terry towel and a hair dryer, and applied new 10-year mold resistant silicone. I'm waiting for the new silicone to skin over (tube says 30 minutes - I'm giving it over an hour) so I can shower again and test my theory.

In the meantime, does anyone have any other ideas? Except for the bathroom sink, there is no other plumbing in that area that's above floor level. If it were AC condensation, I would think I would see evidence in the ceiling and around the AC flange. My hope and prayer is that it's the shower door rail and the water found its way to seep down the inside of that wall until it found a large enough gap (doesn't take much!) to wick through to my little doormat. Alternate theories, anyone?

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
    ... did some laundry and went about some other chores. It wasn't until about 9:15 or so this evening that I happened to step to the side of the bed closest to the bathroom wall (we'll call it "my side of the bed").... Alternate theories, anyone?
    Washer drain backed up due to full washer gray or another reason? Floor dried but the rug did not (and due to ever-so-slight tilt that's where the water ended up)?

I (once) didn't open the washer gray and it happened to me, thus the suggestion.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Washer drain backed up due to full washer gray or another reason? Floor dried but the rug did not (and due to ever-so-slight tilt that's where the water ended up)?

I (once) didn't open the washer gray and it happened to me, thus the suggestion.

Thanks, Howard. Gray tanks were not full (checked and drained prior to laundry). The W/D closet is at the front right of the bedroom with a drip pan under the washer draining outside - no water there. The little bit of carpet in the W/D closet was dry, too. This water had to have come out from under the bathroom/bedroom wall... just having trouble figuring out the source. I showered again before bed (after I re-did the silicone in the shower) and there was no water. I'm hoping that was it - but still open to ideas.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Hi Rob

This is a real long shot but at this point, you are probably OK with crazy guesses.

On my 310GK, the roof access plate is close to the front A/C unit. The channel for the wires you run from the basement to that roof plate run inside the wall between the bedroom and bathroom. I know it's very unlikely but if that access plate cover wasn't sealed and water from the front A/C unit ran into that area, it's possible water could run down that wall into the area near your bed.

There are a lot of reasons this is highly unlikely. First, the water from the A/C unit would have to run to the access plate. Next, there would have to be a gap in the sealant on the access plate (mine was covered in sealant). Then you would need to have a hole drilled in the wood under the access plate. Mine had no hole drilled from the factory. Had to do that myself. Finally, water would need to run down through that hole inside the wall. There you have it. My one in a million guess as to where your water is coming from.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof with arrow.png
Views:	618
Size:	850.4 KB
ID:	22228
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Second Chance
          Hi Rob,

I had an elusive leak that turned out to be a small gap in the glue between an ABS drain pipe and a fitting . . . on the top of a more-or-less horizontal section of drain pipe. Water would flow to the grey tank without a leak until the grey tank was full and backing up this pipe. About the time the basin would back up and I would know to drain the grey tank, water would be coming out the gap in the joint at the top of this horizontal drain line. Once the tank was drained, there was no leak to be found. I would keep checking under the sink and everything would be dry. The gap in the drain connection was further over. BTW, a bead of silicone solved this problem, I did not need to replace the drain ABS.

(another) Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
            Hi Rob

This is a real long shot but at this point, you are probably OK with crazy guesses.

On my 310GK, the roof access plate is close to the front A/C unit. The channel for the wires you run from the basement to that roof plate run inside the wall between the bedroom and bathroom. I know it's very unlikely but if that access plate cover wasn't sealed and water from the front A/C unit ran into that area, it's possible water could run down that wall into the area near your bed.

There are a lot of reasons this is highly unlikely. First, the water from the A/C unit would have to run to the access plate. Next, there would have to be a gap in the sealant on the access plate (mine was covered in sealant). Then you would need to have a hole drilled in the wood under the access plate. Mine had no hole drilled from the factory. Had to do that myself. Finally, water would need to run down through that hole inside the wall. There you have it. My one in a million guess as to where your water is coming from.
            Yeah - I was freaked out enough to climb up there in the dark last night. The access plate is well-sealed - and the AC condensation was running toward the front left of the trailer (toward the bed slide).

Rob

Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I'd be freaked out too Rob. Water is bad inside an RV! I'm going to triple check our shower door track now. I was actually pretty impressed with how ours was sealed compared to our other two RV's.
              Brian & Kellie
              2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
              2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
              2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
              2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Update: two nights, four showers, and two or three more loads of laundry since the shower rail re-caulking and no more water on the floor in the bedroom. I still don't understand how it got to the inside of the wall between the bathroom and bedroom to seep out the other side without leaving evidence of moisture on the bathroom side. Anyway, I'm praying that was it and that it "stays fixed." Thanks to everyone for the hand-holding and suggestions!

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I'm really glad to hear you aren't seeing any more water Rob. I do find it odd that it took three months to start leaking. Of course, I'm a little paranoid now
                  Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

I'm really glad to hear you aren't seeing any more water Rob. I do find it odd that it took three months to start leaking. Of course, I'm a little paranoid now
                    You know... just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't really out to get you.

Rob
                    Rob & Laura
                    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
                      You know... just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't really out to get you.

Do you think the original silicone could have been compromised from cleaning the shower door rail?
                      Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Do you think the original silicone could have been compromised from cleaning the shower door rail?
                        Don't think so - haven't done it that often or that aggressively. We use a soft sponge and Pinesol. The front bottom corner was a really sloppy job to begin with. There was also a 10" long place along the inside of the vertical rail where the rail was almost 1/8" from the fiberglass that had no silicone at all.

Rob
                        Rob & Laura
                        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

So we just purchased a Reflection 367BHS. We have had a soaked carpet in our bedroom for the past two weeks around the floor heater vent. This floor heater vent is attached to the same un-insulated metal duct in the underbelly, that also has vents in the storage area. We can shut off the A/C during the day and use a fan to dry our the carpet, but the next morning it is soaked again. My theory is that now that the humidity here in Georgia is real bad, the vent area is simply sweating profusely. The problem is, if this is really the cause, there might not be an easy fix.

Comment

We long time GDRV owners are well aware that a number of shower door leaks have been reported in various floor plans/lines and shower types and over all model years since 2013. Apparently this is (may be) still occurring which is frustrating to say the least.

Rob Second Chance you are not the first to report this with newer year units as I seem to recall other 2019/2020 owners sharing the same. The good news is that is does not seem to happen with a high frequency but too often non the less.

I seem to recall that Howard shared reports of shower leaks with the GDRV team for review and attention.......or maybe not.

Dan
                            Dan & Carol
                            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by jeffbacon View Post
                              So we just purchased a Reflection 367BHS. We have had a soaked carpet in our bedroom for the past two weeks around the floor heater vent. This floor heater vent is attached to the same un-insulated metal duct in the underbelly, that also has vents in the storage area. We can shut off the A/C during the day and use a fan to dry our the carpet, but the next morning it is soaked again. My theory is that now that the humidity here in Georgia is real bad, the vent area is simply sweating profusely. The problem is, if this is really the cause, there might not be an easy fix.
                              I'm having a little trouble following your reasoning here. I think your talking about condensation, but not sure where your seeing the temperature difference that would cause that much water to collect. I have never spent a lot of time in areas with really high humidity, but if your getting enough water to soak the carpet I'm thinking there must be another source.
                              John
                              2018 Momentum 395M
                              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
                              X