Adding shut off valves.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding shut off valves.

I was speaking to one of my friends that had an issue with a leaking RV toilet recently. He and his wife fulltime, same as we do. If he would of had a shut off to toilet, it would have made their lives much easier. I would like to install one and also to the vanity and kitchen sink in case we get a plumbing leak. Anyone have any pictures and info on what sIze shut off valves to buy? I have pex tool, cutter and crimps. Or, I could also just buy 2 and install them when and if we got a leak.

Vivian
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Click image for larger version  Name:	0D4B35DE-9499-41DF-94AD-E6FC5506E95B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	21.1 KB ID:	23041
    Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
    I was speaking to one of my friends that had an issue with a leaking RV toilet recently. He and his wife fulltime, same as we do. If he would of had a shut off to toilet, it would have made their lives much easier. I would like to install one and also to the vanity and kitchen sink in case we get a plumbing leak. Anyone have any pictures and info on what sIze shut off valves to buy? I have pex tool, cutter and crimps. Or, I could also just buy 2 and install them when and if we got a leak.

Vivian
    Pretty sure all the PEX in the rigs of 1/2” except the tank vent which is 3/4”. I got a quarter turn shut off for mine.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Beachcamper
      Hi Vivian,

The only complication to this will be if the water line to the toilet is soft hose (which it probably is if still original). If so, disturbing it enough to get the shut off valve installed will likely cause drip leaks at each end. This is where my soft hose replacement project started! Take the opportunity to replace this soft hose with Pex pipe when installing this valve.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I think it would be a lot easier to turn the water off at the pedestal rather than having a valve for each point of water use. The valves don’t give you any protection from leaks in the plumbing and would be an aggravation.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Vivian
          Vivian - what a great idea. That way you can isolate a leak and still have water to the rest of the trailer. On my unit almost all of the piping is 1/2 inch pex or the soft hose. Rob is correct that if you can, replace with the ridged stuff. If you have room the sharkbite valves would be the easiest. Example https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...00LF/202270642 However be sure to pick up the release tool https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...710A/100638139 . It comes in handy when working with these fittings. Tip - mark the pipe ends so you know when they seat home in the fittings.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
            I think it would be a lot easier to turn the water off at the pedestal rather than having a valve for each point of water use. The valves don’t give you any protection from leaks in the plumbing and would be an aggravation.
            The problem occurs when the toilet flush starts leaking (either on to the floor or filling up the bowl) and you want to stop this until a proper repair can be done, while still having water to the rest of the RV. I added a valve like this (for just this reason) many years ago. The toilet can still be flushed (with the shower head in our case) until the leak is repaired.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

The problem occurs when the toilet flush starts leaking (either on to the floor or filling up the bowl) and you want to stop this until a proper repair can be done, while still having water to the rest of the RV. I added a valve like this (for just this reason) many years ago. The toilet can still be flushed (with the shower head in our case) until the leak is repaired.

Rob
              Good point Rob and I apparently missed the OP’s point. I was thinking they wanted to use them to prevent an un-noticed leak from causing damage much as people do by turning the pump off or shutting off the source.
              John & Kathy
              2014 Reflection 303RLS
              2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Vivian
                Post 30 (Kitchen)

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...9810#post19810

Post 66 (Toilet)

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...0341#post20341

Post 67 (Bathroom Sink)

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...0348#post20348
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Beachcamper
                  Hi Vivian,

The only complication to this will be if the water line to the toilet is soft hose (which it probably is if still original). If so, disturbing it enough to get the shut off valve installed will likely cause drip leaks at each end. This is where my soft hose replacement project started! Take the opportunity to replace this soft hose with Pex pipe when installing this valve.

Rob
                  You are correct, it is soft hose and I really don’t have the energy to do such a replacement while on the road this summer. However, I was looking at a shutoff for the dreaded shower dribble when you turn off the shower head. I found this item which is a shut off to attach the shower hose to the faucet. In an emergency, I might be able to use this to act as a temporary shutoff for any of the areas needing repairs. What do you think?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQJN6F8...v_ov_lig_dp_it

BTW Howson, will be going over your linked pages for inspiration

vivian
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Beachcamper; 06-30-2020, 01:27 PM.
                  Vivian
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  Demco Recon

Comment

Rob
                    Rob, Is the flex hose more a issue with the Hot water, or both Hot & Cold?
                    Steve
                    2018 Reflection 303
                    2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
                    Diesel, Star White.

Comment

You are correct, it is soft hose and I really don’t have the energy to do such a replacement while on the road this summer. However, I was looking at a shutoff for the dreaded shower dribble when you turn off the shower head. I found this item which is a shut off to attach the shower hose to the faucet. In an emergency, I might be able to use this to act as a temporary shutoff for any of the areas needing repairs. What do you think?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQJN6F8...v_ov_lig_dp_it

BTW Howson, will be going over your linked pages for inspiration

vivian
                      Unrelated but I use a shut off like that on my shower and it works well.

Neil Citro

Comment

I added valves under the vanity, the toilet, at the front pass thru for the washer / dryer, and in the street side rear compartment for the kitchen. I also moved the cut off for the icemaker to above the cabinet floor so that we didn't have to empty the cabinet and pull up the panel to get to it. I also added supports under the cabinet bottoms. The only soft hose left is the black tank flush line.
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Beachcamper
                          If you want to put a valve in the soft hose feed to the toilet, get one designed for 1/2” ID hose. BTW, Sharkbite fittings won’t work on the soft hose. The concern is that “disturbing” the soft hose during valve installation may cause drip leaks where this hose connects to Pex fittings.

Superduty
                          The drip leaks at hose to Pex fitting connections can be either hot or cold. I have only seen burst hose on the hot side.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Unrelated but I use a shut off like that on my shower and it works well.
                            Thanks for verifying it works. When you turn it on, does the water remain warm or does it get cold?
                            Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Demco Recon

Comment

Thanks for verifying it works. When you turn it on, does the water remain warm or does it get cold?
                              It remains warmer. Previous to the valve, it seemed to get super cold for a long time. I read an article once that explained cold water was flowing through the shower head back to the water heater because the pressure was higher on the cold side than the hot side. The valve prevents that, but does not do anything about the water in the line cooling down obviously. I find that to be not near as bad however.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                              X