Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Beachcamper
    If you want to put a valve in the soft hose feed to the toilet, get one designed for 1/2” ID hose. BTW, Sharkbite fittings won’t work on the soft hose. The concern is that “disturbing” the soft hose during valve installation may cause drip leaks where this hose connects to Pex fittings.

Superduty
    The drip leaks at hose to Pex fitting connections can be either hot or cold. I have only seen burst hose on the hot side.

Rob
    Thanks Rob, I thought mainly the hot side. My plan, get the hot sides replace shortly, then little by little the cold.

steve

Steve
    2018 Reflection 303
    2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
    Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post

Thanks Rob, I thought mainly the hot side. My plan, get the hot sides replace shortly, then little by little the cold.

steve
      It kind of makes sense to do hot and cold in the same area at the same time . . . since they run together and you are in there with the tools.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just a WAG, but have you checked the valves for the outside shower? If they are at least partially open, they can cause funky temp control on the inside.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
          I might be able to use this to act as a temporary shutoff for any of the areas needing repairs. What do you think?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQJN6F8...v_ov_lig_dp_it

BTW Howson, will be going over your linked pages for inspiration
          That valve is designed to be screwed into other fittings, it won't by itself be a solution elsewhere without adding other fittings.

Experienced users have cautioned about inserting a valve into existing "soft hose" and their cautions are justified. One way to reduce risk at the valve you install is to use this adapter fitting that improves on the infamous soft-hose connection:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ing/1000182965

Soft hose goes onto the larger side of the fitting - making a better seal than when it's put on a PEX fitting as Grand Design does it - and the other side gets a piece of PEX to which you can attach the valve that ncitro recommended early in this thread.

The adapter fitting comes with two rings for installing it, but an expensive crimping tool is required to install those rings. You can instead use a standard hose clamp on the soft hose side, and use the PEX crimping tool and cinch rings that you already have to complete the PEX connections.

With this approach you should get fairly-reliable connections on your valves. However as Cate&Rob advised be careful about disturbing any already-attached ends of the soft hose much, or consider replacing those bits of soft hose between your new valve and the fixture with proper PEX pipe (if you can; you should double-check fittings configurations on the fixtures).

Hope this helps.

BTW, many of us spend too much time going over howson 's posts for inspiration. Be forewarned; it can be an addicting and expensive habit.
          Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

boyscout Beachcamper

I think the run of soft hose to the toilet was fairly short before it converted to PEX in the pass through storage in my 28bh. I added a bidet seat to my toilet when I did the valve, and had to run a hot water line anyway, so pulled out that section of soft hose at that time.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

That valve is designed to be screwed into other fittings, it won't by itself be a solution elsewhere without adding other fittings.

Experienced users have cautioned about inserting a valve into existing "soft hose" and their cautions are justified. One way to reduce risk at the valve you install is to use this adapter fitting that improves on the infamous soft-hose connection:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ing/1000182965

Soft hose goes onto the larger side of the fitting - making a better seal than when it's put on a PEX fitting as Grand Design does it - and the other side gets a piece of PEX to which you can attach the valve that ncitro recommended early in this thread.

The adapter fitting comes with two rings for installing it, but an expensive crimping tool is required to install those rings. You can instead use a standard hose clamp on the soft hose side, and use the PEX crimping tool and cinch rings that you already have to complete the PEX connections.

With this approach you should get fairly-reliable connections on your valves. However as Cate&Rob advised be careful about disturbing any already-attached ends of the soft hose much, or consider replacing those bits of soft hose between your new valve and the fixture with proper PEX pipe (if you can; you should double-check fittings configurations on the fixtures).

Hope this helps.

BTW, many of us spend too much time going over howson 's posts for inspiration. Be forewarned; it can be an addicting and expensive habit.
              Thank you so much for the detailed information. Plan is to
              buy and keep what is needed to install a shutoff if ever I get into a situation where it would take long to get a repair part on the road. I am going to take a look at how difficult it would be to remove that soft hose and replace with pex. If not, will take your advice.

vivian
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
              Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper

Just below the floor, the soft hose connects to the Pex line. Undo this connection and the threaded one to the toilet. Remove the entire section of soft hose and use it as a model to make up a Pex version with a valve. All this work can be done at the picnic table and there is only the one crimp connection under the floor in the plumbing basement to install the new line with valve. An “easy intro” to replacing soft hose with Pex pipe.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Beachcamper

Just below the floor, the soft hose connects to the Pex line. Undo this connection and the threaded one to the toilet. Remove the entire section of soft hose and use it as a model to make up a Pex version with a valve. All this work can be done at the picnic table and there is only the one crimp connection under the floor in the plumbing basement to install the new line with valve. An “easy intro” to replacing soft hose with Pex pipe.

Rob
                  Rob, don’t encourage me. I still have to replace the heater in the recliner I got from Lippert. But once I get to a place where I can be for more than 5 days, will take a look at the line and see if it’s an “easy intro”. 😂

vivian
                  Vivian
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                  Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post

steve
                    If your doing, the time difference in doing the sets under cabinets isn't that great in comparison, and little cost difference.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	soft hose pile.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	23208
                    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                    Nash County, NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                    X