Dometic series 300 toilet ball valve seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dometic series 300 toilet ball valve seal replacement

I’ve watched the UTube vids and this looks very simple and I’m sure it WOULD BE if I could get the daw gone old one out. One vid says “just reach in and pull the old one out”....... sure, for the life of me I cannot get enough surface grip on it to pull it out. I may be missing something here so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

I just watched a couple of videos and they do make it sound easy. I wonder if you could get enough grip if you used a pair of pliers to help hold it while you manipulate it with your other hand?

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
      I’ve watched the UTube vids and this looks very simple and I’m sure it WOULD BE if I could get the daw gone old one out. One vid says “just reach in and pull the old one out”....... sure, for the life of me I cannot get enough surface grip on it to pull it out. I may be missing something here so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
      I went round and round with mine before I finally realized I had a Thetford not a Dometic, and to replace my seal I had to pull the toilet apart :(
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        I just watched a couple of videos and they do make it sound easy. I wonder if you could get enough grip if you used a pair of pliers to help hold it while you manipulate it with your other hand?

Jim
        yes TJ that thought crossed my mind and I’m no sure why I discarded that notion. I’ll look for a shorter than normal pair of standard or needle nose pliers and give that a whirl. Being it’s the factory original, it may just be more firmly seated than usual. Thanks for the suggestion!
        Dave and Sue
        2020 GD 2250RK
        Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I went round and round with mine before I finally realized I had a Thetford not a Dometic, and to replace my seal I had to pull the toilet apart :(
          Holy Moley- thanks to you I just realized that mine is a Thetford also. 😩. Ncitro- do you have any good links (and/or part number for the seal) that may be helpful to me in replacing the seal? Much thanks!!!
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Holy Moley- thanks to you I just realized that mine is a Thetford also. 😩. Ncitro- do you have any good links (and/or part number for the seal) that may be helpful to me in replacing the seal? Much thanks!!!
            Glad I could help. I was dead convinced mine was a Dometic until I looked into it. I think I even ordered the Dometic seal. I pulled the whole toilet to do mine, was just two bolts and have be plenty of access to it.

Thetford 34120 Waste Ball Seal for Style II & Style Plus Toilets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005G20GOC..._jL1.EbEG02K5A
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Here is a video. It was pretty straightforward.

https://youtu.be/EY9-OXVhomc

Neil Citro

Comment

LOL! When I first read this, I though "all GDRV products come with Thetford toilets . . . this is unusual?". The repairs are really straight forward, but you have to remove the toilet. Twos flange bolts and a water connection . . . super easy! Remove two retaining screws at the back and then turn the toilet upside down. Then the base twists from locking tabs on the bowl and everything comes apart.

Rob
                Attached Files
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Glad I could help. I was dead convinced mine was a Dometic until I looked into it. I think I even ordered the Dometic seal. I pulled the whole toilet to do mine, was just two bolts and have be plenty of access to it.

Thetford 34120 Waste Ball Seal for Style II & Style Plus Toilets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005G20GOC..._jL1.EbEG02K5A
                  Wow, huge help with that info. You saved me a ton of trouble and it’s much appreciated!
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

LOL! When I first read this, I though "all GDRV products come with Thetford toilets . . . this is unusual?". The repairs are really straight forward, but you have to remove the toilet. Twos flange bolts and a water connection . . . super easy! Remove two retaining screws at the back and then turn the toilet upside down. Then the base twists from locking tabs on the bowl and everything comes apart.

Rob

C and R Super thanks to you also. Great GD Family. Travel safe!
                    Dave and Sue
                    2020 GD 2250RK
                    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Wow, huge help with that info. You saved me a ton of trouble and it’s much appreciated!
                      Dave, some turkey ALWAYS comes along in threads about replacing the toilet seal and says that since you're removing and reinstalling the toilet anyway, you should actually PUT a Dometic 320 toilet in your trailer.

That turkey is often me.

The Dometic is bigger, more comfortable, has a strong wooden seat and a "real" flushing system, has more space in it for hanging parts, and can dump a lot more water in a tremendous whoosh when desired for breaking up stuff in the tank. And as you've read its seals are very easy to replace. A whack of people have replaced the Thetford and been glad they did.

I am not a Dometic agent, I just play one in this forum. I really like this upgrade.
                      Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Dave, some turkey ALWAYS comes along in threads about replacing the toilet seal and says that since you're removing and reinstalling the toilet anyway, you should actually PUT a Dometic 320 toilet in your trailer.

That turkey is often me.

The Dometic is bigger, more comfortable, has a strong wooden seat and a "real" flushing system, has more space in it for hanging parts, and can dump a lot more water in a tremendous whoosh when desired for breaking up stuff in the tank. And as you've read its seals are very easy to replace. A whack of people have replaced the Thetford and been glad they did.

I am not a Dometic agent, I just play one in this forum. I really like this upgrade.
                        Thank you Boyscout. What you said seems very logical and that’s soon to be on my to-do list. Our previous Heartland Pioneer had the Dometic 300 series and although they both “seemed” to operate the same, best I can tell, you sound like you know a lot more about this topic than I do. If I’m not mistaken, it seems that the Dometic had a hard plastic lower section where the Thetford has a Ceramic, tile-like (or whatever is the correct term) lower section and seems much more sturdy. In any case, since at the moment we are on the road for a good while, with only over-nighters for rest and back on the road the next day, ordering, receiving, installing, etc a different model before arriving at a more long term site (especially since my recent serious cleaning of the current seal has done wonders) seems like the “juice would not be worth the squeeze” if you get my drift.

I sure appreciate your (and the other guys as well) help on this issue. Travel Safe! 🇺🇸⚓️😀
                        Dave and Sue
                        2020 GD 2250RK
                        Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Working...
                        X