376THS - Brand new with fresh-water tank leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 376THS - Brand new with fresh-water tank leak

This is more of a cautionary type post. We ordered and just took ownership of a 2021 376THS-R. Upon getting it home, I promptly tried to fill the fresh-water tank. Noticed a drip near the dump valve. After removing chloroplast, we (myself and our dealers service manager) determined that it appears that the hole in the chrolorplast was cut in an incorrect spot (by a few inches) which put a significant amount of strain on the dump valve fitting... which resulted in a crack in the epoxy that connects the PVC to the tank itself. Infuriating to have this type of crap on a brand new rig. Dealer has been to our house a few times this week to plaster enough epoxy to try to seal the tank enough so that we can camp this weekend and so far, it appears to be holding. He also cut a much bigger hole in the chrolorplast so that there isnt such a strain on the dump valve assembly. Dealer has ordered a replacement tank and chloroplast, but has yet to receive an ETA for delivery.

Also having an issue with the bathroom grey water valve not closing all of the way. In the interim, I have a screw-on Valtera valve to hold that back.

This type of crap should be checked before a rig ever leaves the GD facility. Fill ALL tanks with water... check for leaks. Check gate valves for proper operation.

Infuriating first week of ownership after dumping this kind of money.

Current: 2023 Grand Design Momentum 395MS-R. FBP, dual pane windows, 3rd A/C, heat pump, Fosgate, etc.

Truck: 2015 F350 DRW Platinum - Black.

Previous: 2021 Grand Design Momentum 376THS-R. FBP, dual pane windows, 3rd A/C, heat pump.

Hang in there Shaferz. That's a first for that failure mode that I've seen. Thank goodness that you have a responsive dealer to help you out. BTW, GDRV does do leak checks like you're suggesting. I don't want to make excuses for GDRV, but it's possible the leak didn't develop until the rig hit the road. In that case, they wouldn't have caught it. In addition to the checks that GDRV performs prior to delivery, all dealerships are supposed to repeat the same process as part of their Pre-delivery Inspection which is a required step. In some cases, the dealers even charge for the PDI as a separate line item on the invoice.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I would be curious what you find when you get the old tank out for the replacement. The fitting is not epoxyd on, there is a threaded fitting spin welded on when the tank is made. The dump valve is then threaded into this fitting. Having had my coroplast down and having replaced that valve on the tank, I don’t see how the coroplast hole being too small or in the wrong place could cause any issue except water going to the wrong place when you open the valve.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by shaferz View Post
        This is more of a cautionary type post. We ordered and just took ownership of a 2021 376THS-R. Upon getting it home, I promptly tried to fill the fresh-water tank. Noticed a drip near the dump valve. After removing chloroplast, we (myself and our dealers service manager) determined that it appears that the hole in the chrolorplast was cut in an incorrect spot (by a few inches) which put a significant amount of strain on the dump valve fitting... which resulted in a crack in the epoxy that connects the PVC to the tank itself. Infuriating to have this type of crap on a brand new rig. Dealer has been to our house a few times this week to plaster enough epoxy to try to seal the tank enough so that we can camp this weekend and so far, it appears to be holding. He also cut a much bigger hole in the chrolorplast so that there isnt such a strain on the dump valve assembly. Dealer has ordered a replacement tank and chloroplast, but has yet to receive an ETA for delivery.

Also having an issue with the bathroom grey water valve not closing all of the way. In the interim, I have a screw-on Valtera valve to hold that back.

This type of crap should be checked before a rig ever leaves the GD facility. Fill ALL tanks with water... check for leaks. Check gate valves for proper operation.

Infuriating first week of ownership after dumping this kind of money.

Keep us posted - I have a 2020 376THS, took delivery in March...

Did you get the hydraulic disk brakes and increased axle option - was not offered when I ordered mine in Jan.

Mark
        2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
        2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
        2020 Momentum 376THS
        We're both proud USAF Retirees...
        Retired RV Tech

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Hang in there Shaferz. That's a first for that failure mode that I've seen. Thank goodness that you have a responsive dealer to help you out. BTW, GDRV does do leak checks like you're suggesting. I don't want to make excuses for GDRV, but it's possible the leak didn't develop until the rig hit the road. In that case, they wouldn't have caught it. In addition to the checks that GDRV performs prior to delivery, all dealerships are supposed to repeat the same process as part of their Pre-delivery Inspection which is a required step. In some cases, the dealers even charge for the PDI as a separate line item on the invoice.

Jim
          Thanks Jim. Agree - our dealer has been great so far, and I also agree that it is possible that it may not have developed until it hit the road. Factory did a really nice job sealing everything up - which is part of why I think it took so long to realize there was actually an issue.

It was a slow leak - maybe one drip every minute? Unfortunately, over the course of a few days, things get really wet in the underbelly. :(
          Current: 2023 Grand Design Momentum 395MS-R. FBP, dual pane windows, 3rd A/C, heat pump, Fosgate, etc.

Previous: 2021 Grand Design Momentum 376THS-R. FBP, dual pane windows, 3rd A/C, heat pump.

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
            I would be curious what you find when you get the old tank out for the replacement. The fitting is not epoxyd on, there is a threaded fitting spin welded on when the tank is made. The dump valve is then threaded into this fitting. Having had my coroplast down and having replaced that valve on the tank, I don’t see how the coroplast hole being too small or in the wrong place could cause any issue except water going to the wrong place when you open the valve.
            I've got some pictures, but they are pretty poor. Best I've got is a screenshot of a video that I sent our dealer. The red arrow points to where the drip was. The issue was not the valve itself... the issue is that instead of looking like a ' T ' (where the valve and its PVC pipe are at a 90* angle from the tank), it was more of a ' T ' (where the dump valve and PVC pipe are actually at something other than 90*. The exaggerated angle of the PVC/valve looked to have cause the cracking/leak. Once I cut the hole in the chloroplast larger, the valve/PVC was able to move back to where it should have been to start off with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8855.jpeg
Views:	557
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	24821

Dealer has a replacement tank and chloroplast on order, and thankfully, the temporary patch job is holding up alright for now.
            Last edited by shaferz; 07-20-2020, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RV Tech Ret View Post

Keep us posted - I have a 2020 376THS, took delivery in March...

Did you get the hydraulic disk brakes and increased axle option - was not offered when I ordered mine in Jan.

Mark
              No, we opted not to go that route. If we go full-time, we'll get aftermarket disk brake installed.

Comment

shaferz

The PVC tube in your picture is actually glued into a coupler that is threaded on the other end. The place where the drip is is the part that is spin welded to the tank. Apparently the spin weld job was not done correctly. It is great to hear that your dealer is working to resolve this issue.

On a side note you have a very good picture representing the sump area of the fresh water tank and the pick up, shown on the left side , that supplies water to the pump when in use.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by shaferz View Post

I've got some pictures, but they are pretty poor. Best I've got is a screenshot of a video that I sent our dealer. The red arrow points to where the drip was. The issue was not the valve itself... the issue is that instead of looking like a ' T ' (where the valve and its PVC pipe are at a 90* angle from the tank), it was more of a ' T ' (where the dump valve and PVC pipe are actually at something other than 90*. The exaggerated angle of the PVC/valve looked to have cause the cracking/leak. Once I cut the hole in the chloroplast larger, the valve/PVC was able to move back to where it should have been to start off with.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8855.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	66.3 KB ID:	24821

Dealer has a replacement tank and chloroplast on order, and thankfully, the temporary patch job is holding up alright for now.
                  Huh that's crazy. I would bet that when the fitting was installed in the tank that it did not seal all the way. Or like Jim suggested maybe the delivery driver hit something on the trip to the dealer that dislodged it. You could hang the tank from mine it is so strong, there is no way the comparatively soft coroplast would break it loose.

Glad the dealer is on it and your repair is holding though!
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I am late on the update here - but dealer did end up replacing the tank and trimming and sealing the chloroplast better, and the issue was resolved.

Comment

Hi All. We had the exact same issue with a dripping fresh water tank on our 2600RB. About a third of the outside of the fitting into the tank was without cement, epoxy or what ever though and the chloroplast was not contacting it. I put some epoxy type cement on it after cleaning with alcohol and it seems to be holding. I know this is not ideal but if it holds were good.

Dave
                      flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Working...
                      X