No announcement yet.

Kitchen Gray Valve Leaking (Bypassing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Gray Valve Leaking (Bypassing)

As many regulars will remember, I did an extensive amount of work to the plumbing while I had the coroplast down. It all started because the dump handles on the gray tanks were difficult to move--in one case it was rusted so badly the cable wouldn't slide in the sleeve at all.

Fixed all that and put everything back together. The kitchen gray valve (which I did not take apart) started bypassing, as evidenced by a buildup of fluid behind the external Valterra valve I'd added to the end of the drain pipe. While I didn't take the valve apart, I did mess with the cable attachment to the valve.

What I found was the block that holds the cable sleeve had split into many small pieces. Shattered is an apt description. Therefore when the handle was pulled the sleeve slid instead of the cable pulling the knife valve.

I had a replacement valve on hand so I took off the block and replaced that one piece. The new block is significantly larger.

What I suspect I might have done is 1) used too large of a screw which split the original block (without knowing it) or 2) the original block was much smaller and the multiple removal/installation processes during the initial work in the area weakened it.

So there's my tale of woe for the day.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Block Missing.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	24447

Click image for larger version  Name:	00 Block.JPG Views:	0 Size:	409.3 KB ID:	24445

Click image for larger version  Name:	New Block.JPG Views:	0 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	24446
    Last edited by howson; 07-16-2020, 08:39 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Originally posted by howson View Post
    As many regulars will remember, I did an extensive amount of work to the plumbing while I had the coroplast down. It all started because the dump handles on the gray tanks were difficult to move--in one case it was rusted so badly the cable wouldn't slide in the sleeve at all.

Fixed all that and put everything back together. The kitchen gray valve (which I did not take apart) started bypassing, as evidenced by a buildup of fluid behind the external Valterra valve I'd added to the end of the drain pipe. While I didn't take the valve apart, I did mess with the cable attachment to the valve.

What I found was the block that holds the cable sleeve had split into many small pieces. Shattered is an apt description. Therefore when the handle was pulled the sleeve slid instead of the cable pulling the knife valve.

I had a replacement valve on hand so I took off the block and replaced that one piece. The new block is significantly larger.

What I suspect I might have done is 1) used too large of a screw which split the original block (without knowing it) or 2) the original block was much smaller and the multiple removal/installation processes during the initial work in the area could weakened it.

So there's my tale of woe for the day.

Click image for larger version Name:	Block Missing.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	24447

Click image for larger version Name:	00 Block.JPG Views:	0 Size:	409.3 KB ID:	24445

Click image for larger version Name:	New Block.JPG Views:	0 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	24446
    Do you know if anyone has toyed with the idea of motorized valve controls, perhaps like the valves on my pool equipment? Just curious as this could replace the cable issues. I personally do not like the cable to valve set-up. My old trailer had pulls directly on the pipe just under the side of the trailer, about the same place as the Reflection. Never had a problem with the valve itself.

I am also curious how long the run is from each tank to the discharge pipe. Rob may know this as he has the same 303RLS as me and may have seen the setup with the coroplast down..

I am currently experiencing slow flow from both my gray tanks as well as some seepage when they are supposed to be closed (I always have water at the Valterra cap when I remove it). It is still under warranty, so I will be taking it in for this as well as my leveler problem.

Thanks,

Tony
    Tony G
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
    2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
    KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post

Do you know if anyone has toyed with the idea of motorized valve controls, perhaps like the valves on my pool equipment? Just curious as this could replace the cable issues. I personally do not like the cable to valve set-up. My old trailer had pulls directly on the pipe just under the side of the trailer, about the same place as the Reflection. Never had a problem with the valve itself.

I am also curious how long the run is from each tank to the discharge pipe. Rob may know this as he has the same 303RLS as me and may have seen the setup with the coroplast down..

I am currently experiencing slow flow from both my gray tanks as well as some seepage when they are supposed to be closed (I always have water at the Valterra cap when I remove it). It is still under warranty, so I will be taking it in for this as well as my leveler problem.

Thanks,

Tony
      Electric valves are available, they are commonly used in higher end motorhomes. I looked into them when my black valve would not close all they way, but I decided to replace it with another cable valve. The difficulty is they are designed to be installed in a particular orientation that the design of our rigs makes somewhat difficult. I have seen some people that installed them in a different orientation and claim they work fine. Oh also they are quite expensive lol. I think they use the remote valves to help keep them from freezing. These are the two I remember looking at.

https://drainmaster.com/rv/products/mini-view2

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-E100.../dp/B004RCXC1G
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

tgodrich
        ncitro probably has this covered, but I think Rob ( Cate&Rob ) may also have some info on them as I seem to remember he researched the powered valves at one time, too. Hopefully he'll chime in when he gets a chance.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Pull cable routing leaves a lot to be desired in many installations. See this thread on that topic. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-cable-routing

When I rebuilt my plumbing system, I considered electric gate valves but decided against these because if (when) a valve fails, you have no feedback, without dropping the coroplast, as to why it may have stopped working. Stuck open? Stuck closed? Electrical problem. With the manual pull cables, you have some "feel" as to what has changed.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I agree with Bob on this - when the electric first came out a lot of folks had to have them, until they failed and they did.

The location of the manual valve in relation to the pull handle is the biggest problem. You would not believe the number of rigs that the cable is bent 90 degrees. Works for a while then stiffens and something breaks. Best recommendation is to pull them slowly and do not jerk.....

Mark
            2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
            2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
            2020 Momentum 376THS
            We're both proud USAF Retirees...
            Retired RV Tech

Comment

Working...
            X