Plumbing rebuild project - goodbye Nautilus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hermes View Post
    In the photo showing the completed panel, on the left side top is the valve labeled pump I am assuming the pump outlet side is connected to this valve and the inlet side would be connected to the line going to/from the fresh water tank - is this correct? On the right side the valve labeled fresh water tank, I assume it is connected to the line going to?from the fresh water tank - is this correct? Also on the right side top is the valve labeled fixtures which I assume is connected to the line servicing all the fixtures - is this correct? Finally where would the cold water line from the hot water tank be connected to? I realize it would not be connected to the rebuilt panel.
    Although it looks a bit confusing, its really quite simple especially compared to the crazy Nautilus jumble of connections. The key is to think about 2 things: where is the water coming from and where is it going. The bottom 2 valves control where the water comes from and the top 2 determine where it goes. The crossover valve lets you do any combination of settings.

The pump valve is connected to the inlet side of the pump. This allows you to control the source of the water - either from the tank or from the hose connection. The pressure side of the pump is just connected anywhere on the cold water side of the pressurized lines. The tank valve is connected directly to the line to the fresh water tank. The fixtures valve and the cold water source for the hot water heater also can be connected anywhere on the cold pressure lines, wherever its convenient.

You can perform any function that the Nautilus can do with the correct valve settings. So here are the various combinations of valve settings. If a valve is not mentioned, it should be closed.

City water connection: hose open, crossover open, fixtures open
    Pump from water tank: tank open, crossover open, pump open
    Fill fresh tank: hose open, crossover open, tank open
    Winterize with antifreeze: hose open, pump open
    Fill fresh tank from a bucket or other non-pressurized source: hose open, pump open, fixtures open, tank open

The 3 valves on the hot water tank let you bypass the tank, which you should do when winterizing or if you don't plan on using hot water. To bypass, close the valves on the cold and hot lines and open the bypass valve.

I would also highly recommend using soft hose on both sides of the pump. I initially used pex and the pump was very noisy due to vibration. Its also an opportunity to install a pressure gauge. See my post at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...pressure-gauge for more details.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

nautilus_p1installation.pdf

Moderators, this should be added to plumbing reference material. It describes the Nautilus P1 plumbing connections and gives dimensions for the plumbing connection builds. It describes what goes where.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Bob Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. Now I have the confidence to move forward. Yes to flexible hoses to and from the pump. When I swapped my OEM pump for a Shurflo, they recommended flexible hose on both sides, so I removed the Pex line GD used and replaced with flexible hose.
        Last edited by Hermes; 08-29-2021, 02:09 PM. Reason: Content
        Regards Bruce & Lin An
        Our Two Akitas Kenji & Suki
        2019 Solitude 310GK/R
        2015 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo Diesel With.AISIN
        Tranny

Comment

Working...
        X