toilet burps when flushed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toilet burps when flushed

I am new here and to RVing, help me please ' When I flush my toilet it burps and I am wondering if that is caused by a blocked vent line? I have a Reflection 303rls 2016

Burping is caused when the black tank gets full and the gasses come out the toilet instead of the vent. There are two primary reasons.

1. The tanks is nearly full. I actually use this method to tell me it's time to dump. Once the level gets within an inch or two of the top, then it will burp.
    2. The vent pipe is too low in the tank. This was a frequent complaint in the 2015-2016 time frame. The pipe was placed into the tank with a rubber grommet holding it in place via friction. But if the pipe was not carefully positioned or it slipped down, it could no longer vent once the liquid covered the opening of the pipe.

Here's how I'd approach it.

1. thoroughly drain and flush the holding tank. Using a 5 gallon bucket (or a water hose with gauge that can measure gallons), fill the tank via the toilet until you reach 75% of the capacity of your tank. Cate&Rob may know the size of the tank on the 303. After putting in the water, flush the toilet and see if it's burping. If not, the vent pipe is probably positioned correctly, and you'll just need to dump when you see burping. If you're going by the little gauge on the panel to let you know when the tank is full, they are horribly inaccurate. If the toilet is burping at 75% capacity, then further trouble-shooting and repair is needed.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I will give that a try, thanks

Comment

Our black tank is burping. We have a 373FB and it's the full bath in the front of the rig. We purchased this used over a month ago and this is a brand new feature. We dumped the tank yesterday and it is still doing it today. We are guessing that the vent is clogged. What is the best way to get it cleared?

Comment

If the vent pipe is truly clogged and not slipped down, running a hose and water down from the top on the roof may clear it.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by AmerinetFG View Post
            Our black tank is burping. We have a 373FB and it's the full bath in the front of the rig. We purchased this used over a month ago and this is a brand new feature. We dumped the tank yesterday and it is still doing it today. We are guessing that the vent is clogged. What is the best way to get it cleared?
            I had that issue, and was convinced it was my vent as well. I found it to be a MASSIVE pile of paper in the black tank. I do everything right, use a ton of water and fill it half full with water after I dump. My best guess is my 3 year old son might have had something to do with it (all of the paper I removed was dry and clean). Given its used and you do not know its history, I would take down the false wall in the basement and have a look for yourself. You should be able to pull the toilet, and then there is an angled pipe that runs from the toilet to the tank. Take that out and you should be able to see right into the tank. From there you can get a wand and hose down the contents and flush the tank thoroughly, or worst case as I did dig out the offending "debris" before flushing the tank.

Ah the joys of RVing...
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I cut out the 45 just above the black tank and installed a straight connection with the 45 for the vent pipe and put a screw cap on the top. If I need to wand the tank, I remove the cap and go straight down with the wand and then twist it back and forth to spray the tank. The wand has a sprayer with a 90 connector.
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Lots of good ideas here.
                If you happen to get onto the roof you can also check the cap that goes over the vent pipe for the tank. I had a different brand trailer where the cap was fastened directly to the roof and the vent pipe extended too high. There was only about a 1/4" gap between the pipe and the underside of the cap. I removed the cap and took about 1/2" off the height of the pipe. The toilet flushed better after.
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                X